• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Any problem with Ppro on laptops with UHD screen resolution?

Contributor ,
Feb 22, 2017 Feb 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Especially with CC 2017 but with CC 2014 too.

Thanks for any info.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two issues that argue against the idea are hardware related.

Ideally, you want multiple internal hard drives to spread out the load and keep things moving.  I recommend five as a starting point.  (Windows & Programs, Projects, Cache & Scratch, Media, Exports.)  That's just not doable with any Laptop in the world.  The load issue might be mitigated with the right SSDs, but video editing needs lots of storage, and the price per gig for SSDs is still much higher than with HDDs.

The other and more important issue is one of screen size.  I recommend nothing less than 24" 1080p monitor as a starting point.  And for UHD, I'd recommend nothing less than 32" screen.

Now, this isn't to say that the software won't work on a Laptop.  I don't doubt there are plenty of folks using one quite successfully.  My comments concern the user experience with the software more than it's operation.

Take that as you will.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jim,

I'm aware of the points you raised.

Still, I remember reports of screen fonts being too small because of the high resolution.

I'm looking for anyone with experience on such a laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still, I remember reports of screen fonts being too small because of the high resolution.

That's to be expected for UHD resolution on a Laptop-sized screen.  That's why I suggest nothing less than 32"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, may be it's to be expected, but since Microsoft did manage to have readable fonts size with its OS on UHD screens, may be Adobe solved that too.

That's why I'm looking for someone with relevant experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft did it in the wrong way.  They essentially doubled the size of everything on screen.  That negates the entire point of higher screen resolutions, which is more screen real estate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I guess the whole idea of UHD screens on laptops was not to squeeze more text but to better display pics and vids. So for me Microsoft's solution is valid.

I'm just trying to check if Ppro does have an issue here ir not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't find that a valid argument from MS, not on such a small screen.  I do feel that UHD is wasted on a Laptop.

To answer your question, no, Adobe hasn't swallowed Microsoft's Kool-aid on this one.  The software behaves correctly with higher screen resolutions, offering more room in the UI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so just to make sure I understood you correctly:

"The software behaves correctly with higher screen resolutions" means all texts of the GUI are convenient to read as they are on FHD screen laptops?

If so, does it hold for CC 2017 as well as on CC 2017?

Thanks for taking the time...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use PR and others on a surface pro, but mostly for testing. I usually have it set up with an external monitor which is 1920x1080. The surface (pro3?) is 2160x1440. That resolution is packed into only 11 3/4 inches diagonally.

PR CC 2017 (forgot to check which build) respects the Win10 setting for "change the size of text, apps," etc. I have the 1920x1080 set to 100% and the surface display to the "recommended" 150%. In PR, text is okay to read, and most dialogues are useable. Did a quick test at 175%, and the text is easier to read, but the text size makes it hard to use the more regular UI.  For example, I have to turn off preview area in the project bin, in order to see any of the content without scrolling. At 100% it would be pretty bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Stan,

"most dialogues are useable" would not be enough for me, so I guess I should better find a laptop with FHD screen resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can also change the display resolution. Tested and that also works fine. The physical size of the screen would still be an issue.

No comparison, of course between the "little" surfaced screen and a 28 inch UHD monitor!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines