• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Asset Creation Date and Modification Date from OS file info still WRONG!

Engaged ,
May 07, 2022 May 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A quick search and this issue has been on going for a decade, yes 10 years of not addressing this problem.  How can a simple error be "by design"?  I'm a software engineer (30+ years) and obtaining OS file creation date and modification date is easy, programming 101.

Adobe highlight information is wrong!Adobe highlight information is wrong!Where is 12/31/1903 coming from, a generic default?Where is 12/31/1903 coming from, a generic default?The OS Creation Date and Modification Date, need THIS!The OS Creation Date and Modification Date, need THIS!

See images, clear as day the problem/issue.  I don't care about camera date/time because in 90% of my work the capture device is a computer streaming out to an OS file.  I don't know how to present this problem more clearly and why Adobe don't want to address this issue?

Rob.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been bummed by this also, Rob.

And I've talked it over with engineers. Who sorta throw up their hands, yea.

The same file in four different apps might get a different time for "modified" date depending on which of several date items is used by the specific app. Macs and PCs apparently treat some things differently at the OS level.

I got a treatise one time on the differences between three or four different camera maker's practices/file-name choices versus OS versus three different video apps. With the engineer saying at the end ... so, which of these scenarios do I go with? Final Cut shows this for that, Resolve shows that for that, Mac shows this, Windows that ... which do you want?

I simply want a usable date system. And you're right, the current one ... isn't. But I'm not smart enough to hammer that out with engineers. And I wish you all the luck if you can get to one of them!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

Yes, OSX and Windows are different and I'd be VERY surprised if Adobe don't have provisions in code for both OS types ... I mean they're operating CUDA support and other OS/Platform specific features so I'm certain Adobe must have conditional compiles for those items that are OS and hardware specific.

As far as Windows OS going back decades, getting file information is very simple, here is the file information from .NET.  On the C++ side, if Adobe are trying to maintain the same code path (which might explain why they run into so many performance issues if they avoid using Windows platform specific features/acceleration because they don't work on OSX) for all platforms OSX, Linux, Windows, then they'll need to use #ifdef to conditional compile and the stat.h for Linux/OSX and unistd.h for Windows and I believe their are additional C++ 20 libraries that can work on multiple OS types ... Adobe developers can find more information here.  This is an easy to solve problem that doesn't require much coding work and certainly doesn't generate any breaking changes.

My 2 cents.

Cheers, Rob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2022 Sep 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shot some video today on 2 different devices. Both devices synced with same time. Decided today to give Premiere Pro a try(luckily)...imported my videos and viola! Wrong capture date showing up in Premiere from one device and I can't have them in the order the way I would like. 

Try before buy....whew!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just downloaded a trial of Final Cut....imported files all had the correct creation date!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've been down the Apple path ... biggest problem is that Apple don't keep up with CPU/GPU hardware improvements so while everyone else is improving the deliverable times I was stuck with whenever Apple decide they wanted to update their desktop hardware (which is rare).  I really like FCP, but if it wasn't for Apple complete lack of improving their desktop hardware in a timely manner, I'd probably still be using FCP.

But agree, the fact Adobe can't (still can't) get something as simple as correct creation dates on source assets is beyond incomprehensible??  Programmering 101 ... and that's coming from a 35 year experienced software engineer.  I'm just baffle by this ... how could this not be a priority after so many years?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines