• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 TUF 12GB - Anyone using it?

Explorer ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, looks like my Nvidia 1060 GTX is maybe on the way out. 

Doesn't feel like the best time to be shopping for GPUs, but has anybody got any experience of using the ASUS GeForce RTX 3060? 

It's available and seems pretty reasonably priced. I have seen one other user on here saying they were having issues with it though, so am a bit wary. 

Any thoughts? (or simimarly priced, UK-available alternatives) 

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is it on its way out?

I have a 1070 and works perfectly.

Make sure it has the latest studio driver installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ann

It's worked fine for around 4 years, but I'm constantly having GPU acceleration disappearing in PP. 

Done multiple clean installs of latest studio driver on GPU and uninstalled and reinstalled PP but GPU accelaration is no longer available (it did briefly reappear yesterday, but has gone again.) 

I have noticed playing .mov files on VLC player has started getting a bit choppy too lately, so was assuming it was a GPU issue - though not sure if there's a way to test that for certain. 

F

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GPU acceleration gone? where are you looking for that feature?

Preferences or project settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Project Settings:

fionnm61793799_0-1651760862724.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much VRAM do you have on your GTX 1060?

If it has only 3 GB of VRAM, then you may experience what you did: GPU acceleration dropping out depending on the complexity of your project.

Otherwise, there is a possibility that you might have experienced some sort of hardware failure on the part of your graphics card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

It's got 6GB VRAM, so could be okay on that front. 

I'm starting to fear that may be the case. Given the cost of GPUs at the moment I'm seriously wondering about just buying a complete new PC, which seems to be about the only way to get hold of mid-range Nvidia graphics cards, but just wondered what people's experience had been with the ASUS version of the RTX 3060, as that might be a cost-effective alternative.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

never throw away hardware without first doing a hardware stress test with benchmarking. this will uncover heat issues or hardware failures (if there are any).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Chris. I've just looked that up and appears to be within my modest abilities so will give it a try. Will see how I get on. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines