• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Auto saves didn't auto save.

New Here ,
Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a very weird problem, and has never happened before.

I have auto saves set to every 2 minutes, because premiere crashes a lot for me. I was working on a project for 2 hours, and I saw the auto save window and bar pop up many times. Then premiere crashed, so I opened up the project again only to see I lost 2 full hours of work. I checked the project file, and the existing auto saves, all of them said last modified: 2 hours ago. I have no idea what happened, and this is very stressful. I can't seem to find others with this problem, and I have no idea why it happened. That was the only sequence opened at the time so it wasn't saving a different sequence or anything. This makes no sense at all.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Do not rely on autosaves,  Autosave in Premiere Pro has never been reliable.

Save different versions of a project as you go along at regular intervals to a backup drive different from the drive on which your projects are located.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not rely on autosaves,  Autosave in Premiere Pro has never been reliable.

Save different versions of a project as you go along at regular intervals to a backup drive different from the drive on which your projects are located.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, looks like my progress is lost, but I'll be sure to actually save more frequently next time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your project is corrupt without you knowing so will your auto saves be.

As Bob says: do a Save a Copy on regular intervals.

Make new project and import old one: see how that goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2019 Jun 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you end up finding a solution? i am having the same problem. It says my autosave is on but i look in the autosave folder and its empty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 02, 2019 Jun 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you do an initial manual save? That seems to trigger the auto save process at project starting.

I'm a longtime computer user that does both Ctrl-S  every little bit and does an iterative save-as every so often continuing on in the iterative version. Just because well, computers being computers.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is not normal behavior. 

do a search for your project name and see if the autosaves are someplace unexpected...    Never seen it never saving. 

Also, try changing the autosave location and the autosave interval and see if that makes a difference.  You might try resetting your preferences...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doing a search for project name hit the jackpot.  Latest autosaves were not where they were supposed to be.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want you to know that searching  for my file helped a bunch. I found and recovered my lost project! Never relying on auto-save again. Thank you soooooooo much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS THIS WORKS!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2022 Jul 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE TELL ME WHERE THEY WERE IM SO SCARED TO LOSE MY WORK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With my Mac, I just clicked on the search icon and typed in the project
name.

--
Chris Bayard
[personal info deleted by mod]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ugh, I looked and the versions are recently accessed, but from over a week before 😕 this is in audition

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THIS WORKED OMG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry, but this is completely unacceptable for a paid software of this size. 9/10 times I create a million project files and I never get crashes or any problems, but I swear every time this 1/10 cases occurs where I forget to create multiple files along the process it crashes and I'm left with a completely empty project after hours of work!!!! despite seemingly 100 autosaves. Might as well disable this function all along as it is compleeetely useless. This is very frustrating adobe, reliability should be a top priority, not new features and tools. PS: my editing PC is highly specced and does not crash due to low performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't ever actually save your work? I can't imagine any experienced computer user never ever saving their crucial work. In any program ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously you didn't read my comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to save every 10 minutes back in 2000 when I was using Windows XP. Now it's 2021. On a mac everything autosaves instantly, 100%, this PP behavior in 2021 in unexcaptable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, as this thread has a correct answer and it's not recent, might be a good idea to start a new thread.

Please tell us your system specs: OS version, Premiere version, amount of RAM, Hardware specs including graphics card.  Are you saying Premiere never autosaves?  Have you done a search for the project name to see if it's saving somewhere unexpected?  You might first try resetting your preferences.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

new premiere pro is so unstable and unreliable. I am looking for an alternative. This level of stress simply can't be tolerated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I take it back. It was my fault this time. Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just glad you're working again!

I totally understand frustration and moments of hmmm ... less than perfectly polite thoughts or comments? I think that's a built-in part of any video post-process work I know of. Any type of work, any app ... it's gonna happen.

In fact, it's from being ticked beyond belief a few times over losing things that I FINALLY really truely learned to set up a save routine that a few of the curmudgeonly types that were on here when I started a few years back pushed.

Create a project, save IMMEDIATELY.

Every semi-major step in the process, do an iteritive save-as, continue working in that new project file.

And ... the auto-saves go on a different drive than the project files, in case of drive issues.

After a bit, you do it fast and don't even think about it. And when something happens (that's not an if, but a when, as it will happen!) ... you have a better chance of being able to salvage the job without much wasted time.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I was directed to this chat page after I directly asked Adobe Chat for help. So I am here now asking you. I, like many thousands before me, assumed that the autosave was actually going to work. I never turned my computer off since the last time I worked on this project. Somehow it is like I dreamed that I had done the work. So of course, Premier Pro doesn't just let your project sit open. It closes after however long. When I opened it and started working again today, I didn't realize I was working on an older saved version until I went to play it back and everthing wasn't there from the last time I had it open. Having looked in different save "bins" the multiple versions are all the same. Is there any other remedy now or did I just lose hours of work? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doctorawd,

Sorry. If you set up Auto Save preferences to save a copy of your Auto Save project to the Creative Cloud, you could check that folder for a potential backup.

The advice moving forward is to test to make sure that your Auto Save function is working OK. On top of that, that the Preference that I mentioned is enabled. At every crucial juncture of the project, it's a good idea to save a back up project manually using the "Save a Copy" function. Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines