Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AVCHD Workflow help

New Here ,
May 14, 2012 May 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I will be migrating to Premiere Pro CS6 from FInal Cut Pro 7 starting this fall for all of my video production classes.  I need some guidance on workflow. 

We currently shoot on Sony NX70u which uses the AVCHD codec producing .MTS files.  I've been working with the native AVCHD files on PP CS6 for a few days now to get acquainted with the workflow and performance on our Macs (some iMacs and some Mac Pro towers) and so far so good.  My question:

I know PP CS6 will work with the native AVCHD files, but I'm worried about performace issues with my Macs.  Is there any reason to transcode the AVCHD files to another codec before editing in PP?  I guess I'm still in the Final Cut Pro-Log and Transfer mode of thinking about files

Cheers,

Micheal

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 447 Replies 447
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2013 Apr 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are not asking for all the new features in Premiere Pro next - just what was advertised by Adobe in P/Pro 6 and paid for by us in good faith. I think we have been incredibly patient with this and we have all had time-consuming issues to contend with and had to find our own work-arounds. If the  'architectural changes' are so major,  wouldn't it be possible for Adobe's engineers to provide a PP Next version with the other new features disabled?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No offense but how many times can somebody repeat the exact same thing?  Adobe already said they are looking into it.

I understand how frustrating it is to have workflow issues for something you paid for but repeating it over, and over, and over after they already addressed it isn't going to change anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tclark513 wrote:

No offense but how many times can somebody repeat the exact same thing?  Adobe already said they are looking into it.

I understand how frustrating it is to have workflow issues for something you paid for but repeating it over, and over, and over after they already addressed it isn't going to change anything.

As there is apparently some internal debate currently going on at Adobe about how to best proceed than I think the more people that add weight to our requests, the better. I say all readers of this forum should add their views, by way of petition.

Kevin Monahan wrote:

The Premiere Pro team knows about the issue, but I don't have any information right now about a Premiere Pro CS6 update. That is why I suggested that we still make feature requests for a fix.

Kenin Monahon [Adobe] has suggested we all make feature requests for the fix - this implies that the more people that do this the more influence it is likely to have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A post on this thread does not constitute a feature request.

You can file a feature request here:

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

joe bloe premiere wrote:

A post on this thread does not constitute a feature request.

You can file a feature request here:

I have already made my request but thanks for clarifying that, Joe - I hope other readers will make their requests too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The more the merrier!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tclark513 wrote:

The problem is that Adobe said they were looking into it last June. And apparently all these thread posts over the last 9 months were not enough to motivate them to work any faster than they did. Honestly, it is not in the best interest of their time or money to devote extra resources to a version that isn't going to be available for sale in a matter of weeks. So I agree with Heather--if we don't keep being loud and annoying on this subject, we don't stand a chance.

This is why I'm asking Kevin to give more information on when we will receive an official response one way or another. Personally I don't think it will ever happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can tell you right now that any public status updates on this issue will be shared with this thread. 

ZachRosing wrote:

Will that response be here in the forum or somewhere else?

Whether the answer is yes, 6.0.3 is coming, or just buy CS7, I'd like to know when we can plan on hearing that so I can move on with my life.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 04, 2013 May 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been a couple weeks. When can we expect news about CS6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin Monahan wrote:

ExactImage,

The product team definitely knows about this. Please understand that it has nothing to do with holding back a fix to sell you on the next version of Premiere Pro.

I just don't believe you. There's no more box version. So it's buy CC or stay with buggy software - shame on you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

7marcin wrote:

Kevin Monahan wrote:

ExactImage,

The product team definitely knows about this. Please understand that it has nothing to do with holding back a fix to sell you on the next version of Premiere Pro.

I just don't believe you. There's no more box version. So it's buy CC or stay with buggy software - shame on you!

Hi 7marcin,

Regarding perpetual software, our official statement is this: "We will continue to sell and support Adobe Creative Suite® 6 applications, and will provide bug fixes and security updates as necessary."

What this means is that the bug may or may not be fixed, but at this point, we have nothing to announce.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin, I was going to quote the same statement. For the record, it has been clear to me that a fix to this particular bug is necessary. Since CS6 is the final version of perpetual license, I just don't see how it can not be fixed. If not, we need to review what necessary means. Numerous users have been and continue to be unable to use CS6 due to this problem.

I'm not looking for a response. But the phrasing of this announcement seemed to me to a promise of fixing this particular bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin Monahan wrote:

Hi 7marcin,

Regarding perpetual software, our official statement is this: "We will continue to sell and support Adobe Creative Suite® 6 applications, and will provide bug fixes and security updates as necessary."

What this means is that the bug may or may not be fixed, but at this point, we have nothing to announce.

at this point we have one thing to announce: shame on you Adobe....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 07, 2013 May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stan Jones wrote:

Kevin, I was going to quote the same statement. For the record, it has been clear to me that a fix to this particular bug is necessary. Since CS6 is the final version of perpetual license, I just don't see how it can not be fixed. If not, we need to review what necessary means. Numerous users have been and continue to be unable to use CS6 due to this problem.

I reported earlier that it was a deep architectural change that needed to take place to fix the issue in Premiere Pro CC. A similar change would need to take place for a Premiere Pro CS6 update. This is not a trivial task for the Premiere Pro team. Therefore, it is very important for Premiere Pro CS6 users to file a bug report to let the team know: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Continue to file those bug reports as I will continue to advocate to the team to make that fix.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

7marcin wrote:

at this point we have one thing to announce: shame on you Adobe....

7marcin,

There is still a possibility for a fix. If you haven't already done so, please file your bug report here: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Kevin.

I would emphasize to the team that the understanding here is that a basic functionality in promised native editing, and working in 5.5, was broken in CS6. As the last perpetual license product, failing to fix this leaves license holders with an impaired product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the point here is we just want Adobe to give us a straight answer NOW. No more waiting. Whether that's yes it's going to be fixed, or no it's not, just an answer. We've had a year of uncertainty and it's ridiculous. I appreciate that you may not be the one to deliver that answer. Please tell us when someone with more authority to comment on the situation will.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stan Jones wrote:

I would emphasize to the team that the understanding here is that a basic functionality in promised native editing, and working in 5.5, was broken in CS6. As the last perpetual license product, failing to fix this leaves license holders with an impaired product.

+1 Stan.

This is probably a much bigger issue than how users feel

about the new Cloud Subscription model.

All can file their bug reports here:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stan Jones wrote:

As the last perpetual license product, failing to fix this leaves license holders with an impaired product.

Hi Stan,

I hear your concerns. This is exactly why, on behalf of the users, I am advocating for the fix to the team. In the mean time, make sure your bug report has been filed.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ZachRosing wrote:

I think the point here is we just want Adobe to give us a straight answer NOW. No more waiting.

Sorry, that's just not possible at this time. As soon as I can let you know about bug fixes, you'll hear about it here.

ZachRosing wrote:

Whether that's yes it's going to be fixed, or no it's not, just an answer. We've had a year of uncertainty and it's ridiculous. I appreciate that you may not be the one to deliver that answer. Please tell us when someone with more authority to comment on the situation will.

I'm very sorry but we simply can't announce anything related to bug fixes at this time. In the mean time, please make sure that your bug report has been filed: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

joe bloe premiere wrote:

Stan Jones wrote:

+1 Stan.

This is probably a much bigger issue than how users feel

about the new Cloud Subscription model.

All can file their bug reports here:

Yes, please file those bug reports. It would go a long way to let the team know how you feel. The more bug reports, the better!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin, but we've been filling this in for a year.  If they don't know by now, they never will.  And if they know by now are are going to do nothing about it then we deserve to know.

Just how many more filings do you need in order to get a "we'll fix it" from who ever makes that decision?  10?  100?  1,000?  10,000? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ExactImage wrote:

Thanks Kevin, but we've been filling this in for a year.  If they don't know by now, they never will.  And if they know by now are are going to do nothing about it then we deserve to know.

Just how many more filings do you need in order to get a "we'll fix it" from who ever makes that decision?  10?  100?  1,000?  10,000? 

Hi ExactImage,

Sorry for all the trouble, but there's nothing I can report on this situation. Right now we are focused Premiere Pro CC, but we know users still want a fix for this bug in Premiere Pro CS6. As I have stated before, this is not a trivial bug and was very difficult to fix for Premiere Pro CC.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I think it's been going on long enough really Kevin, there's been enough bug reports filed. We want this fixed as a part of CS  6, for free and soonish. After all, you sold us something that doesn't do what it says it will do on the tin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NR23Derek wrote:

Yeah I think it's been going on long enough really Kevin, there's been enough bug reports filed. We want this fixed as a part of CS  6, for free and soonish. After all, you sold us something that doesn't do what it says it will do on the tin.

NR23Derek,

I hear you on your frustrations. On behalf of users like you, I've been advocating for this fix for Premiere Pro CS6 since I found out about it. In addition to your feature requests, I'm trying very hard to plead your case to the team. It is the #1 issue facing Premiere Pro CS6 users, IMHO.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines