Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AVCHD Workflow help

New Here ,
May 14, 2012 May 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I will be migrating to Premiere Pro CS6 from FInal Cut Pro 7 starting this fall for all of my video production classes.  I need some guidance on workflow. 

We currently shoot on Sony NX70u which uses the AVCHD codec producing .MTS files.  I've been working with the native AVCHD files on PP CS6 for a few days now to get acquainted with the workflow and performance on our Macs (some iMacs and some Mac Pro towers) and so far so good.  My question:

I know PP CS6 will work with the native AVCHD files, but I'm worried about performace issues with my Macs.  Is there any reason to transcode the AVCHD files to another codec before editing in PP?  I guess I'm still in the Final Cut Pro-Log and Transfer mode of thinking about files

Cheers,

Micheal

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 447 Replies 447
Enthusiast ,
Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe marketed and sold CS6 a as solution to let AVCHD users edit natively without intermediate conversions. It's been a year and Adobe hasn't made good on fixing AVCHD in CS6. If my primary cameras were affected I would be furious.

I don't know what has changed behind the scenes with Premiere developement since CS5x, but since CS6's release is the only time in 12+ years of using Premiere that I ever have become really displeased with the product and company. I wonder if they picked up a bunch of FCP developers that were let go from Apple before FCPX.  I hope something changes.

At a minimum, Adobe should offer CS6 users the option of a CS5.5 package which actually works with AVCHD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephen_Spider wrote:

At a minimum, Adobe should offer CS6 users the option of a CS5.5 package which actually works with AVCHD.

That would be OK - but since I already had CS5.5 how about my money back for CS6?   If I'd known that EITHER CS6 had the problem OR that Adobe were going to take more than a year to (or never) fix it I simply would not have bought CS6.   This is crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MonkeyEatsMonkey wrote:

Are you playing long clips?

If that question was directed at me, then: my clips are only about 25 or so minutes long.  At 1080p, that's generally long enough to span 3 files, and my shoots are 2 cameras' worth of footage (2 spanned clips of ~3 files per clip).

CS6 was tripping over itself badly with those clips.  Thus far, CC hasn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MonkeyEatsMonkey wrote:

Are you playing long clips?  Because I have some longer interview footage that is playing back as badly as it was on CS6.  The problem never occured on shorter clips.

From the testing I've done, playback of long clips is just as bad on CC as it was on CS6.  I don't think they've fixed it.

It is strange that you are still having difficulties with your playback.  At this time, the best thing to do would be create a new thread with a breakdown of the symptoms you are having.  The known bug within CS6 has a very specific set of symptoms, covered earlier in this thread by staff members. 

Even if your symptoms match exactly, starting a new thread specifically for AVCHD issues within CC is going to get faster notice.  This thread is very long, very deep, and is only checked periodically due to it's sheer size.  New threads tend to stick out a lot more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My clips are 2-4 hours long

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephen_Spider wrote:

Adobe marketed and sold CS6 a as solution to let AVCHD users edit natively without intermediate conversions. It's been a year and Adobe hasn't made good on fixing AVCHD in CS6. If my primary cameras were affected I would be furious.

I don't know what has changed behind the scenes with Premiere developement since CS5x, but since CS6's release is the only time in 12+ years of using Premiere that I ever have become really displeased with the product and company. I wonder if they picked up a bunch of FCP developers that were let go from Apple before FCPX.  I hope something changes.

Adobe do not really have any incentive to put this right in CS6.  The claim that you can leave the problem behind by embracing Cloud Cuckoo Land is surely its USP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 21, 2013 Jun 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I kind of think the opposite.  Adobe is well aware that plenty of folks do not want the subscription.  If there was a CS7, it might go uncorrected, but since CS6 will remain available as the last perpetual license you can get, I think they have added incentive to fix it.

Doesn't mean they will, though.  My guess is there's a balancing act going on.  How much will it cost to fix it, and how much will they lose in sales if they don't?  Whichever is higher wins.

Remember the Pinto.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2013 Jun 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I can confirm that Premiere CC gets the job done with spanned AVHCD files.  I expected to have to recreate all of my project files, since the ones created on CS6 had always behaved like they were corrupt.  But just to try it, I opened my old master project file from before I transcoded anything and it works!!!  My whole project consists of 1.5 to 2 hour continuous clips with 3 angle multicam footage.

So I can confirm that Premiere CC cuts spanned AVHCD files.

Like a hot knife through butter!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2013 Jun 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's  great news ! Thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2013 Jun 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 25, 2013 Jun 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe have taken no notice of this 434 post thread.  I cannot see them doing anything for us unless they are forced.  That basically means legal action.  Legal precedent might be on our side, but that does not mean that Adobe would lose in court.  Even if they do, they still have to provide the fix.

If Adobe cannot be dissuaded from their new marketing ploy then there is a solution that would satisfy me. Adobe should provide a one-off Upgrade only CS7 available for a limited period to owners of a valid licence for CS6 only.  This would include all bug-fixes provided in the new CC version, plus as compensation for the CS6 problems, all new features provided in CC, but with no further updates.  This should be made available at traditional upgrade pricing.  I would even accept the traditional price-gouging of their European customers!

As I say, this would be my ideal, but given the past history of Adobe, I am not holding my breath!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2013 Jul 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[ duplicate post removed by moderator - do not post the same content to multiple threads ]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 10, 2013 Jul 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today we are committing to fixing this issue for CS 6 users.  Sorry it took so long, we had to figure out how to bring that fix back.   Read Al's note here:

http://blogs.adobe.com/premierepro/

Cheers

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today we are committing to fixing this issue for CS 6 users.

Excellent!

For those who don't see this at first shot, at the end of the July 9 post is:

"Our commitment to customers includes those who haven’t yet subscribed to Creative Cloud or who rely on CS6, and we plan to release an update to Premiere Pro CS6 in the coming weeks that will address an AVCHD clip spanning issue. For more information in video production and Adobe Creative Cloud, go here."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the first time we have something to smile about.  Let's hope nothing else breaks in the process

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great... I will someday be able to install and use the PProCS6 upgrade I bought

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently the devil is on vacation and in his absence Hell hath frozen over.

People will be able to use their CS6 and concentrate on berating Adobe for the subscription concept.

Not that it will necessarily do any good, but at least the screams will be more concentrated and possibly hijack fewer threads.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 11, 2013 Jul 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

heyhey,

i read about the fix in the hardware forum's farewell to Harm thread (bummer)

however, i'm posting here to say thank you adobe and that i hope it is sooner than later does actually fix

what was once working...cheers, j

i would also like to commend joebloe premeire and jim simon and others for their continued hard work and diligence for documenting the avchd spanned clip bug

it is a long thread to keep up with and would not be as descriptive if not for their help:  thank you...

long live cs6...

j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 14, 2013 Aug 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am happy to announce that today we released Premiere Pro CS 6.0.4 to address this issue.  There will be a blog post later with the list of bug fixes.   Sorry it took so long.

Please proceed to the download

Cheers

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe this should be added as a new thread...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A 128 MB download.  I applied it and re-opened the same project file that was shelved because it was uneditable with the old version.

I'm happy to say, that it seems fixed.

Rather than having 4209 frames dropped over a 2 minute preview of a large clip,

I had 16 frames dropped over the 5 minute preview of the same large clip.

Thanks Adobe.

(P.S.  This was not a spanned clip, just a large AVCHD file from a Canon HFS20 camera)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed it and came looking for a place to post this image:

Capture.PNG

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

YEAH!

Finally...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines