Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Camera Raw like interface for Premiere Pro CC

Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2014 Sep 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe

I'm a photographer and video producer looking for an easier way to grade and adjust the levels of my footage in Premiere.

The DynamicLink with SpeedGrade is really lovely and quick, but getting my head around the new SG interface and being able to squeeze the best results out of it is a real challenge. Recently I discovered that I can open video files in Photoshop CC and use the Adobe Camera Raw interface as an effect on the footage and apply colour and levels changes there. This has really opened up the grading process for me and coming from a stills background with several years of using Lightroom to process my photos, I find the Camera Raw interface much more intuitive. It has allowed me to get better results much faster than I was getting out of SpeedGrade. The only issue is the workflow and render time involved in getting the video from Premiere to Photoshop and then back again is drawn out and complex.

My questions are:

Is there a current effect or plugin that replicates the Camera Raw interface and feature set in Premiere Pro / SpeedGrade?

Is this a feature Adobe is looking to include in future updates of Premiere?

It maybe laziness on my behalf not taking the time to learn the interface of SpeedGrade, but I know Adobe is a responsive developer and that this feature would speed up the grading process and would really appeal to the DSLR community who use your products for both photos and videos production.

Screen Shot.png

Thanks in advance

Dan

[signature with personal info removed by mod]PEC

TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 09, 2015 Apr 09, 2015

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 15, 2017 Apr 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing I can say is that for some reason, they've not created the equivalent of Photoshop's ACR applet for PrPro. The photo & video programs are very different in the coding and work done, so they can't just 'grab' the ACR from Photoshop and use it ... they would have to make one especially for video use.

So ... keep posting the feature request forms, which do get to all the senior managers in apparently a tabulated form. What gets said on these user-to-user forums doesn't. And Kevin has been very clear that as someone outside the PrPro development team, his coming in and saying "a number of users have requested X" doesn't have near the weight of the managers seeing a request X number of times on their forms.

Neil

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since they added ACR as a filter in Photoshop, they ought to be able to add it as an effect in Premiere Pro.

In the meantime, if I need to, I just do it in Photoshop first then take it into Premiere Pro. But I lose a generation.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I asked an engineer at NAB about this a couple years ago, he said that although the ACR panel in P-shop can work with video, it's not particularly efficient at it and besides, none of it's code actually works with anything in PrPro, so they'd have to start from scratch if they were going to have a similar capability.

I naturally asked ... so, when ya gonna write that code? The answer ... not my job to decide, you go talk with the boss over there. With a shrug.

So ... feature requests, people. It's not something that I actually would use as I don't have a camera that puts that out ... but I've still filed the feature requests for it as it seems something that should be there.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2017 Apr 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you mean that?

Do you export it than as an other format like h264?

I have had the idea to save the settings in an DNG and than open it in Pr,

but if i edit it in lightroom and export it as an DNG, this DNG will not read by PR.

So i select the option "original" in the export DNG settings, and than PR can import it, but the settings are not in the DNG.

So if i find a way to save the ACR setting in an DNG, i can save it in all DNGs of an footage and import it in PR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you could export to something else, but I generally just use H.264

One reason is that it keeps it separate and easier to track apart from the MOV files I shoot.

A DNG is a single frame, not a video as far as I know. Now you could make the adjustments in Photoshop, export a frame as a JPG, and use that frame to help you make the same adjustments in Speedgrade (except I never learned to use Speedgrade beyond some basics).

I will see if I can get a moment with Bryan O'Neil Hughes. But my pressing concern is to get the video metadata that can be read by Nikon and Canon software to be visible in Lightroom and Photoshop. Things like focal length, aperture settings, lens info, shutter speed, fps, etc.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Steven,

thank you but mov is not an option for me, i want it in RAW.

If you want DNG or other formats import in Photoshops ACR and want take teh settings on each frame of the footage or DNG files,

you only have to take care of that you convert it for smartfilter.

Than you get the whole footage and not only one frame.

Thanks and regards Guido

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines