• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I have CS6 and CC installed at same time?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2014 Feb 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am taking editing classes at a community college, which only has CS6. I have CC at home. From all the discussions I've read about non-backward compatability (which does suck btw), I'm thinking I should also have CS6 on my computer. Found CS6 (digital and CD version) on Amazon. Yes? Good idea? Am I missing somethin'? Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Install both CC and CS6 apps

Can I install both CC and CS6 apps with my Creative Cloud membership?

Yes, you can download most CS6 apps from the Download Center on creative.adobe.com. Click any app icon. From the product download page, for example Illustrator, look for the heading "In this version" and click the version pop-up menu beneath it to select CC or CS6. The large blue Download button at the top of the page changes to "Download CS6".

Note:

It is fine to have both CS6 apps and CC apps on your computer. Some users require multiple versions for different clients, etc. It's a personal preference, but in no way is a requirement to uninstall your CS6 apps in order to install CC apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, they can both be installed and even running at the same time on the same computer.

Don't buy CS6, though.  You get it with CC by default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both!

Jim, didn't realize I get CS6 by default! That's great!

How do I access it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!

My Monday project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 hours later and the Pro PS6 family is still downloading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2018 Mar 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I run them at the same time? If I have CC open and then try to open CS6, it just brings up CC again. The same thing happens vice versa. I've even tried opening one as an admin and the other separately and still nothing. Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can run them at the same time, CS6 and CC.

Make sure you open the correct icon (unfortunately they look the same).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have made sure they're the right icons. CS6 sits on my desktop in a folder, while CC I open directly from the creative cloud app. Like I said, though, it'll just pop up to whichever is opened first, even when trying to open its alternate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2018 Mar 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then the desktop "cs6" shortcut is actually pointing to cc. In Windows explorer, right click and open folder location to confirm. Tgen go to program fikes, cs6, and create a new shortcut.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 11, 2018 Mar 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is my upper righthand desktop corner

Adobe-Icons.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CS6 program, I've always had in a separate folder on my desktop or in my downloads. And it worked normally before, even with Adobe Creative Cloud and all the other apps. I just don't understand what changed to make it reference Photoshop CC.

As of right now, I've even made sure all folders are separate. I created a new folder for CS6 in program files, but it still keeps referencing CC. No matter what I do, CS6 just keeps defaulting to CC unless I open CS6 first, then CC will reference CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which Photoshop it references is not related to what folder it is in. The first method to try is to associate .psd files with the version of PS you want. But it may change it for all adobe versions calling PS. Or not.

Quick test; EN CS6 and PR CS6; EN CS5 -> PS CC (19.0).

Associate .psd with PS CC 2015.1. EN CS6 now opens "Edit in Photoshop" with PS 5.1. But PR CC 2018 opens Edit in Photoshop with PS CC 2018.

At some point, I concluded that the order of installation made a difference. Sometimes, EN CS6 would open PS CS6. But newer versions may also use a different method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File associations is still the same no matter what order you install.

On has to be carefull in selecting the correct icon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to Jim and Bob I was able to get both versions on my computer. I did the first part of a 2-part test. I created a file in CS6 and in CC. When I double click on the CC project it opens fine. When I double click on the CS6 project it defaults to the CC app and says the document was created in an older version. I found the work around to this was to open the CS6 app directly and open the file at that point. It would be nice if I could double click on each file and it is inutitive enough to know which application it was created in, but I can totally live with this.

2nd part of this test -  I will download the CS6 file to my external harddrive, bring it to class and see if I can open the file at school.

Will keep you posted of my final results.  But to answer the question - can you have two versions running at the same time - it seems so! Haven't experienced any glitches.

I am now wondering what is the difference btw CC and CS6? anyway...

Between research and downloading the CS6 app this became an all day project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if I could double click on each file and it is intuitive enough to know which application it was created in

It's not possible.  The OS allows only one program association per file type.  Since both use the same extension, both will open in the same program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what is the difference btw CC and CS6? anyway...

They are significant and many.  I would hate going back to CS6 at this point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I'm so new at this, it really doesn't matter. Was more curious.

The only thing is I need to turn in my homework, so now at least I know I can create my assignments using the CC of PS6 version.

Fingers crossed it opens up okay at school.

Thanks for your help, Jim and everyone! Really appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2014 Feb 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will use the CS6 version for my test, but my understanding from reading other forum discussions is that I could also save CC project as an xml file and my teacher should be able to open it with CS6. Did I understand that correctly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may work, but not perfectly.  Some things don't translate, so you take your chances with that approach.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jim!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>what is the difference

If you want to create a DVD or BluRay you MUST have Premiere Pro CS6, which comes bundled with Encore, since CC no longer includes Encore

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As others have stated, you can have both CS6 and CC on the same drive but be aware that having both will use a lot of hard drive space. I have both and they take up nearly 1/3 of the one terabyte hard drive I have. Along with the  Windows 7 Pro OS, that's about half the drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have both and they take up nearly 1/3 of the one terabyte hard drive I have

That's not correct.  The entire Adobe 64 bit folder is just under 15GB - for every program.  Add another 5GB or so for the 32 bit programs in the two suites and you're looking at roughly 20GB for two full suites.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines