• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I import AVI video's to Adobe Premiere with the Lagarith codec

Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got some high quality video's, which are scans of Super8 film. They're giant video files. My goal is to restore these video's using different software. I want to color correct them, remove scratches, etc.

Now I've tried importing some of these video's to Adobe Premiere, but it won't accept it. Instead I get the message: "Unsupported format or damaged file".

In order to be able to play these video's on my computer, I'm required to install the Lagarith codec. I did, but it still has no effect on my ability to import the video's to Premiere, or any other Adobe program.

I've done some research, and several people advise to convert the video's to another format. I really don't want to do that. I don't want to create a compressed file before I get to edit it.

So is there a way to open Avi video's with the Lagarith codec in Premiere, or other video editing software like After Effects?

TOPICS
Error or problem , Formats , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

If you have installed the codec you should be able to import lagarith avi's.

https://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if there's a way to get Lagarith encoded files into Premiere Pro (maybe?/probably not).

Hopefully someone with direct knowledge will post.

Quick research online and I can't see any updates to Lagarith since 2011? 

But if you can find an app to convert them into another high quality codec - like ProresHQ, DNxHD or Cineform you are unlikely to suffer any visible quality loss and will get smaller (and editable) files.

Lagarith is mathematically lossless, while the others I've mentioned can be 'visually lossless' in their high end versions.

Lagarith is clever in that it can compress the image while still being lossless ... but it can't do a good job compressing what's known as 'high entopy' data. Super8 (and all it's huge film grain) is a high entopy source. Therefore 'giant files'.

I honestly don't believe (particularly with Super8) you'll be able to see the difference if you do convert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I will try some other video restoration software before I decide to covert files. But from what I gather, it's not possible to use Adobe Premiere without converting the video's first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have installed the codec you should be able to import lagarith avi's.

https://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had already installed the codec. But wouldn't you know, some video's now DO get imported by Adobe Premiere. Maybe I hadn't installed the correct version of Lagarith, or maybe not all the video's have the same codec.

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't work for me. I downloaded and installed lagarith and adobe still tells me I have the wrong format or the file is corrupted.

This is an avi from an 8mm video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post screenshot of clip in MediaInfo in treeview here on forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lagarith is outdated, but may still work.

If you want a vfw lossless codec that is still updated, is faster that lagarith and offers more processing options, try UT.

UT video codec

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quicktime png is small. another free one is huffyuv. its much smaller file sizes for uncompressed than lagarith, but i think UT has a 10 bit version. lagarith makes huge file sizes so i'm suprised people still use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just confirming that transcoding to ProRes 422 HQ is a very good choice for workflows starting with Logarith-original clips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines