• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't change time ruler units in Premiere Pro

New Here ,
Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to change the timecode for the time ruler units in my project timeline to be increments that made sense. When I put the clip into the timeline for some reason the times were weird like instead of it displaying 15:00:00 at the 15-minute mark it would be closer to the start and would be displayed as 14:59:57 (14 minutes and 59.57 seconds) instead.

I tried changing this back to normal but I've somehow changed the time ruler units to frames and everything this forum and others have suggested hasn't worked. Please help.

TOPICS
Editing , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You source clip has a non-standard frame rate of 59.89 fps. There is no timecode standard that corresponds to this frame rate, and so the only display option Premiere has is frames.

There is timecode for 59.97 and 60fps, not 59.89.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how was the clip recorded?  a smartphone or a screen recording app?  If so, the clip probably has a variable frame rate.

use mediainfo to determine whether your source is variable or constant frame rate
https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download
if it's variable use handbrake to convert to constant frame rate
https://handbrake.fr
and here's a tutorial on how to use handbrake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=34&v=xlvxgVREX-Y

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a direct download of a twitch stream. I know it has a variable framerate.

I know how to use handbrake, I know about variable frame rates, I was under the understanding that Premiere could just work with video files with variable framerates without issue. What I want to know right now is how to fix my timeline time ruler units back to time not frames.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry you're wrong that premiere can deal with variable frame rates CONSISTENTLY.  

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-issues-with-screen-recorded-footage-in-premiere-pro/...

use handbrake to convert your file to a constant frame rate with a standard frame rate for video.  59.97 seems like a good choice.  Then you may be able to unlink your clips in the timeline and relink to the file with the constant frame rate so you won't lose any of your work and regain the time ruler units you desire.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this. I've added video files with variable framerates before and I just dealt with the messed up time ruler units but this time I thought I'd fix that. I don't need to know why it did what it did at first, I need to know how to change it back to time in time ruler units and not frames because it was time before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Click anywhere in your timeline to make it active. Go to the menu Sequence > Sequence Settings.

When the Sequence Settings pane opens, change the timebase to 59.94 and the  Display format to 59.94 and click OK:

Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 10.06.52 AM.png

This should restore your TC display. What consequences it will have regarding your variable framerate source material, I don't know.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

embed.jpg

Please do NOT add images via the "attach files" box, as you are then forcing everyone to DOWNLOAD the file to view it outside their browser. Drag/drop the image files directly ONTO your reply box so other users can see them without needing to download unknown strange files.
Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then how about adobe makes it so that any image I add via the button version that people have to download just shows on the post instead. It's just an image. Can't be too hard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines