• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't move keyframes in small increments

Enthusiast ,
Oct 24, 2021 Oct 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can only move keyframes in 20-frames increments. 

Snap is turned off, both in the Timeline and in the Effect Controls' dropdown menu.

I've tried changing those snap settings to any available option, but they don't have effect at all, which is peculiar in itself, I think.

Keyframes like the selected one can't be moved by less than 20 pxKeyframes like the selected one can't be moved by less than 20 px

Am I missing some kind of lock or other snap option?

TOPICS
Editing , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Make new project and import old one.

Try using Lumetri, Color Balance is now obselete.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast , Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Now I know what the problem is:

As mentioned earlier, one track is an imported morph sequence from After Effects.

That sequence consists of two png's on each side of the actual morph, which is titled comp1.mp4.

At some point, both images were automatically renamed comp1 (some percentage; i.e. 0.09%).mp4. When I delete these two comps and replace them with the two original png's, everything works again (including the morph sequence between the two png's)!

So there's that...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Several people mention that Alt+Left Arrow are supposed to nudge video keyframes to the left. 

However, my version doesn't have any shortcuts for that, so I added one, as shown below, but that doesn't work either...

KeyframeShortcut.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this problem is somehow related to the fact that any keyframe appears to be selected (blue) even when I move the playhead far away from it, as opposed to animation apps where a keyframe is selected, and shows its data, only when the playhead is right on top of it.

So, since a keyframe's values -- according to its on-off selection status -- don't change change for around 20 frames in either direction, I suppose it makes sense that it's not possible to actually move that keyframe in smaller increments.

But it's beyond me how it's possible to edit effects if that's the case...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, this is definitely the problem:

It's only possible to add new keyframes if there's a minimum distance of 20 frames to the previous and next keyframe. 

I hope it's because I have screwed up some unknown setting somewhere as it's not possible to edit anything under those circumstances.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is project-specific -- I just tried another project, and keyframes behaved as expected; their select-status don't extend beyond their actual position, they can be moved freely, and my newly created keyboard shortcut to move keyframes frame by frame also works.

So, that's obviously very good. But keyframes still don't work in the original project. The only difference I can see is that it includes a morphed sequence imported from After Effects, but I don't know why that would collide with normal keyframe behaviour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make new project and import old one.

Try using Lumetri, Color Balance is now obselete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your help -- I just made a new project and imported the original, and I'm sure it's the right way to proceed. But I'm afraid I can't figure out how to make it work, and unfortunately I'm on a deadline so I can't test the various import options now. The one I did try merged all the tracks so I didn't know how to actually edit anything. But again, I'm sure it's the right approach as the original file must be corrupted in some way.

As for Lumetri, I did use that to begin with, but I felt the RGB version was more intuitive, or more like Illustrator, and faster. I did see that it was labeled obselete, but it doesn't seem to cause problems in my other projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Now I know what the problem is:

As mentioned earlier, one track is an imported morph sequence from After Effects.

That sequence consists of two png's on each side of the actual morph, which is titled comp1.mp4.

At some point, both images were automatically renamed comp1 (some percentage; i.e. 0.09%).mp4. When I delete these two comps and replace them with the two original png's, everything works again (including the morph sequence between the two png's)!

So there's that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines