• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open projects the next day

Explorer ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I create a project one day, call it version 1, and the next day Premiere gets hung up on opening version 1 (this happens every day).  So I force quit, open a new project, open the previous project within the Media Browser (dynamically linked project) and drag in the folders from Version1 to the new project and then rename the new project to Version 2. All fixed.

Seems there is a sort of time stamp issue here, but I don't know.  Any ideas on this one?

TOPICS
Crash , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to actually amend this, My projects are not opening at all now. When I close them, they won't open again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like it might also be an OS permissions issue. Maybe ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I just reset the preferences and it is working for now.  We'll see about tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 07, 2022 May 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, after going for a couple of hours with support they had me delete cache files from the entire system.  This helped.  But it seems to persist.  After working on the project for a day, the same thing happens.  I come in the next morning and Premiere Pro hangs on opening completely.  

I'll close the project, open premiere to the menu level, delete the cache again from the system level and then all is well.  

Seems to have a strange thing happening with the cache files. Rather annoying having to go through this process daily and generating cache files again, especially since the waveforms in the audio tracks sometimes don't actually get regenerated.  

for System info:

Mac Pro 2019

2.7GHz 24 Core Intel Xeon W

96GB Memory

2x AMD Radeon Pro W5700X 16GB

Mac OS Monterey 12.3.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, here is the media workflow Im using as I would think this is pertinent:

All footage comes from Screen recording software in MPEG format which I convert to High Quality ProRes Proxy.

Other media includes stock footage from various sites in it's preview format and is also converted to Prores Proxy High quality.

All media lives on a RAID 48TB G Technology Chasise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting the Workspaces:
Reset a workspace
Reset the current workspace to return to its original, saved layout of panels.
1. Do one of the following:
• Click the Workspace menu icon and select Reset to Saved Layout.
• Choose Window > Workspace > Reset to Saved Layout.
from here:
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/workspaces.html

If that doesn't work, try Preferences > Audio Hardware and set Input to None.

If that doesn't work, try creating a new project and import the old one into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try all of the above, but yes, my workaround to get the project open was to import from a new project.  Seems deleting cache files from the system is the faster alternative and fixes the issue in the meantime.  That being said, it seems to be a cache issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is your cache located?

What are the hard drives (how many, what kind, what is on each, what capacity, and how full)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I'm glad you asked.  After reinstalling everything, I forgot to relocate the cache.  I was pointing to an external SSD external 1TB drive it was just pointing to the After Effects folder.  Should be a big deal but I've now relocated it to it's Premiere Cached folder.  I'll see if that does anything but principle will be the same in that all cache is stored on a separate external 1TB SSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 15, 2022 May 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:

Per my conversation with Puru Bob and realizing that my cache files were not in the right place, I thought this had fixed the issue.  However, after a period of time, which is undetermined right now, when I try to open any project, it stalls just short of my ability to begin editing.  The timeline shows up, and all media is intact, but the colorful spinning ball of delight spins and won't go any further.  Thus, I force quit, re-open premiere to the menu level, clear all cache and I'm able to open any project once again.
I've been using the same configuration for years and never had this kind of problem.  Something is going on with the cache system.  Any ideas @adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would check 3 things:

• How full is the cache drive? Any chance you're running out of space?
  • Are the cache drive and the media RAID on the same bus?
  • Is the cache SSD itself in the process of failing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeff Bellune,

the SSD is only about 1/4 full, 754GB out of 1TB available.

I have the RAID on Bus 4 and the SSD on Bus 2

I can't say if the SSD is failing.  Do you have a tip for finding out?

Thank you

Ryan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ryan.Horner wrote:

I can't say if the SSD is failing.  Do you have a tip for finding out?

Thank you

Ryan

https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/repair-a-storage-device-dskutl1040/mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No failures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's good!

For clarity, please remind us if you attempted to repair your disk permissions, per Neil's suggestion above?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, this is great! I haven't been able to repair permissions since OS Lion???  Where in the Mac do we do this? Unless we need a third-party app?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is a third-party app that I use, but you shouldn't need it for this initial check.

Control+click your cache drive in the left pane of a Finder window. Choose Get Info. At the bottom, check that you have read+write access, admin has at least read access and everyone has at least read access. If nothing but cache files live on that drive (no sensitive data), then you may want to experiment with giving everyone read+write access.

The reason I think this is worth a look is because you said that resetting preferences worked for you at least once. Resetting prefs will reset the cache files and database locations to their defaults, which is most likely not on your cache drive. Consider keeping the cache database in its default location even if you move the cache files to your cache drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines