• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CC 2017.1.2 Importing audio only from MP4?

Engaged ,
Sep 30, 2017 Sep 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just started having an issue with some (not all) of my MP4 video/audio files where PP will only import the Audio??? 

I can select to two MP4 files created from the same source and one will import just fine, the other imports as audio only.  Both files are valid video/audio files and both files will play thru Microsoft's Win 10 video player so I know the files are not the problem and this appears to be specific with Adobe CC PP.

Can someone point me to a link where I can submit an official support ticket.   This issue only started happening today 2017.1.2, v11 Oasis.  11.1.2 (22) Build.

I did search these forums and found several other users having exactly the same issue.

Any suggestions?

Cheers, Rob.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

FYI, for anyone interested in finding a resolution to this problem.

After doing considerable experimentation I've discovered what the problem is and why Adobe (and MOVAVI converter Premium) will "sometimes" Import a 4K MP4 video/audio file as Audio Only.

The issue  appears to be that Adobe is looking at the "end of the file" to determine how to import the file.  In my case the recording capture tool I use is Magewell 4k dedicated capture PCIe card.  What appears to be happening is that when I hit

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Oct 01, 2017 Oct 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What source created the files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

I am sorry that you are facing trouble importing your MP4 files into Premiere Pro.

• Are you importing your files from the Media Browser? Importing media files into Premiere Pro
  • What is the source of these files?
  • Have you tried importing these files from a different location (preferably Desktop) & in a new project?

Can someone point me to a link where I can submit an official support ticket.

You can get in touch with our support agents via Phone/Chat. FAQ: How do I contact Adobe Support?

Thanks,

Kulpreet Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kulpreet,

MP4 source was the same for both files produced ... it's a 4K video capture card from Magewell (http://www.magewell.com/pro-capture-hdmi-4k-plus) using the provided CaptureExpress 2.1 software (Adobe PP doesn't support Magewell natively for capturing so I use Magewell provided CaptureExpress 2.1 which does the job well).

I've done many captures with the Magewell and imports into PP from the Magewell ... but after this recent PP update, those imports are now working at a rate of 50/50 with PP thinking some are audio only files when they are not.

Given that Windows 10 Media player has no problems playing any of the Magewell captured MP4 correctly, this must be a new issue for PP.

Is there anyway to roll back the PP update as that seems to be the source of this problem?

Cheers, Rob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be worth the investment of a capture device that does work with PP.  Blackmagic and AJA both make devices for about $200.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a fairly unproductive response, like I said, the Magewell 4K card works fine, captures fine, it's MP4 output used to work fine with PP until this recent update for PP.  And if Windows 10 media player can play the MP4s without issue, why can't PP work correctly with them?  

Not that it's relevant to this issue, I used to have a Blackmagic designs card, it didn't capture 4K HDMI 4:4:4 at 30 or 60Hz.  The Magewell works and works well for about $950.  AJA doesn't do 4K HDMI 2.0 4:4:4 RGB or YUV captures at 30 or 60Hz either.

Cheers, Rob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if Windows 10 media player can play the MP4s without issue, why can't PP work correctly with them?  

Because they're not the same program, so it's unreasonable to expect the same results.

The Magewell works

Well...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see this going no where with cherry picking comments and fanboy-ism, and really don't have time to do this dance, I'll contact Adobe phone support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

Sorry for the delay.

Is there anyway to roll back the PP update as that seems to be the source of this problem?

FAQ: How do I reinstall a previous version of Premiere Pro?

Thanks,

Kulpreet Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob - Have you tried exporting the MP4 that will not import into Premiere Pro as a different file type with Adobe Media Encoder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't tried that, but I thought PP used the same core components that makeup AME.  But I'll give it a go.

Does Adobe have a feature request process?  The Magewell 4K PCIe Capture Pro with HMDI 2.0 capture card is clearly better than anything I've used before from Blackmagic Design, AJA, and others.  Not only does the Magewell support 4K 4:4:4 RGB or YUV including 10bit, it will do it at 60Hz without a problem and so far nothing has tripped it up even changing formatting from the source the Magewell keeps working.  It's by far the best HDMI 2.0 based capture device I've ever used and at $900 a bargain, but sadly Adobe PP doesn't support it?

Cheers, Rob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, for anyone interested in finding a resolution to this problem.

After doing considerable experimentation I've discovered what the problem is and why Adobe (and MOVAVI converter Premium) will "sometimes" Import a 4K MP4 video/audio file as Audio Only.

The issue  appears to be that Adobe is looking at the "end of the file" to determine how to import the file.  In my case the recording capture tool I use is Magewell 4k dedicated capture PCIe card.  What appears to be happening is that when I hit the "Stop" button for the Magewell Capture Express software and there is additional audio being mixed in with the recording their will be a very short (as in < 1/10th of second) audio only segment at the end of the video file.

This audio with no matching video segment seems to make Adobe PP think it's an audio ONLY file.  It seems to be making an assumption there will always be a video segment for every audio segment.

How I confirmed this issue is by pausing the source video/audio BEFORE I stopped my capture device (Magewell) from recording.  This solved the import problem in every test case I ran against it.  This also re-enforces the solution I had to one of these files that caused Adobe to CTD, that solution required that I trim the end of the video just a few frames to prevent the CTD on Export.  Again, it was "end of the source video/audio".

So, just in case anyone from Adobe is paying attention (BTW, Adobe NEVER got back to me via their feedback, not really surprised), I would recommend you (Adobe software engineers) improve your Import code to evaluation more than just one or two last segments of the file to determine "type" of content.  This will make the Import process considerably more reliable.

Cheers, Rob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Rob,

I have been having this problem with videos saved by twitch from live streams.  Thanks for describing the problem and your fix.  It worked for me too.  I simply opened the file in Photos on Windows 10 and slightly trimmed the end of the file, then saved.  It took awhile and nearly doubled the size of the original mp4, but now premiere can import the file.

cheers,

Darren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines