Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing the Colour Interpretation of Merged Clips

Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

having a nightmare at the moment with a picture locked offline edit of 2 half hour broadcast shows that have now fallen victim to the new colour management update in Premiere 22. One show shot on a Sony FX6 and the other on an FX9. The older show had been rough cut late last year before the update when it was still v15 and when i open up the project on 22 its getting blown out like a double LUT has been applied. Did some research and found out about the issue and reverted back to 15 and picked up and rebuilt the sequence. So good so far. The 2nd sequence shot on teh FX9 in Slog edited in a v22 project was displaying correctly up until today when i reopened to export and found the same issue. All of my working files were processed in Premiere with non-sync sound and merged to give synced rushes with proxies etc. I can select all of the raw material in the project and right click - interpret footage and change the colour management overide to rec709 which displays the original footage correctly on a rec709 timeline. However my merged clips are all still being misinterpreted as HLG and the option to interpret footage and colour overide are greyed out for the merged clips. The sync timeline i used to create the merged clips from is displaying correctly.

My question is - without having to start from scratch or recreate all of the merged clips and proxies and rebuild the timeline is there any way to get around this? I'm going to have to export for Online in the next week as well as for sound mix and could be doing without starting form scratch so to speak.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Running Premiere v 22.2.0(Build 128) on an iMac Late 2015 4GHz Quad-Core i7, 32 GB Ram, AMD Radeon R9 on MacOS Monterey 12.2.1

Using 4k rushes shot in Cine-EL on a Sony FX6 and FX9.

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2022 Jul 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Merged Clips" is an endless source of pain in Premiere. IMHO they should overhaul this functionality or get rid of it entirely. 

The UX logic behind merged clips is flawed, you shouldn't be able to make copies of clips which loose the reference to the original clips in the way "Merged Clips" allows you to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2022 Jul 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@tinkthank av berlin 

Merging picture with sound recorded on a different device is an important post-production feature.  Bugs should be reported and, hopefully, addressed in a timeline manner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am fully aware it is a very important feature. Unfortunately it does not work at all in Adobe Premiere and this is not a new problem, it had been the same for years.

As a workaround, because there is no "good" way, people use nested sequences and multicamera clips to work around the horrible "Merged Clips" functionality.

I have been using premiere on and off for at least 20 years, in the beginning it was the lack of omf/AAF export functionality that was a deal breaker for using premiere in a professional environment, now it is the lack of a good workflow for productions that use external sound.

I am at a point where I believe adobe doesn't care about this target group. For me, I love premiere, but I would never edit a feature or long documentary project with it's for this specific reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Their multicam process is the assumed process for most people for linking remote sound. It's not a workaround, it's simply ... for most things ... a better process.

I don't understand why you object to it.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a starter, isn't a functionality called "multicam clip" counterintuitive to fuse one camera with external audio? 

Second, the main reason: audio routing... Multicam clips are made for multicam use, that's how the audio logic is working. Which is great for multicam use but not for single camera, lots of audio tracks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As weird a naming as so many 'tools' in video post have, I don't fret about a name so much. I'd be frosted on a routine basis ...  😉

I know of people routinely using multicam for single vid multiple audio .. or multicam/multi audio.

What's the problem you've had?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines