• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

clip changes colors by dynamic linking after effects and premiere pro

Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I  work with the newest version of the adobe creative suite (update automaticly). I wanted to use the "Replace with after effects composition" yesterday but it gaves me horrible colors back. The copy of the clip in premiere semms ok but after opening the comp in after effects it looks darker and not saturated. In After Effects and in premiere too. Also the render-function gaves the colors not back. I cant remember that I had this issue in former versions. Whats going wrong. Where can a connect the color space and the color work to get the same color after using the manupulating in after effects.  

Bildschirmfoto 2021-11-06 um 13.53.51.pngBildschirmfoto 2021-11-06 um 13.38.39.pngBildschirmfoto 2021-11-06 um 13.59.31.png

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

The 2022 version of Premiere Pro added several color managment settings that were not in previous versions, and that's been tripping up a lot of users.

First ... for clips in a bin. Right-click/Modify/Interpret footage and check the color space options. For many things using color space over-ride to Rec.709 will be a good option if you're not actually working to get an HDR export.

Next ... the Sequence Settings dialog also has a color space setting. Make sure this is what you intend to both

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

Hi lutz0815,

We're sorry about the poor experience. I agree with Neil's suggestion. 

• Set the color space of the media file to Rec.709 in the Project panel (Right-click on media > Interpret Footage > Color Management > Color Space Override > Rec.709)
  • Set the color spcae for the sequence to Rec.709 (Sequence > Sequence Settings > Working Color Space > Rec.709)

Let us know if it helps in sorting the preview issue.

Thanks,

Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,
Feb 18, 2023 Feb 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those trying to figure this out in 2023.

In Premiere I'm rec.709 for interepretting footage (this was default with the footage I brought in):

trashcaneron_0-1676758348882.png

In After Effects I'm 2.4 rec.709 for project settings. 

trashcaneron_1-1676758379415.png

I've also interpretted footage in AE to Override Media Color Space to Working Color Space Rec.709 2.4 - this is the last crucial step:

trashcaneron_2-1676758469484.png

Now it is matched!

Fun to do this manually for every single clip... wouldn't it be great if AE's default color intrepretation matched Premiere's? What is the logic in having two different fixed defaults? 

Woof. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 18, 2023 Feb 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That thing of Premiere & Ae not having the same CM settings is annoying, isn't it?

Although you can .. .and should! ... batch process the CM of Interpret Footage in Pr. Select a whole bin of clips, right-click, Modify/Interpret Footage ... all in one go.

I know how this split CM thing came about, as Ae as an Fx app has had very different needs than an NLE. It's like Fusion in Resolve, which works color management/processing very different than the color page. I work with/for/teach pro colorists based in Resolve, and this is a mild to major constant annoyance "over there" also.

And came about for the same reason ... Fusion, like Ae, is a stand-alone Vfx/compositing app. With again different CM needs.

Well ... yea, so that's how this came about. But it would be awfully nice if it got modified so the CM between Pr and Ae was unified ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2023 Feb 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

always good to hear the why Neil, thanks. This really needs to be addressed by Adobe, and Resolve by the sound of it, surely they realise 'it's a thing'. When two pieces of software work in unison with each other the least you can expect is the colour management to match. Why would anyone be happy with a colour change when replacing AE comps in Premiere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2023 Feb 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the screengrabs, really useful, I'll give this a go when it next crops up. My only other option was going to be to open up everything into After Effects and re-import... not something I wanted to entertain! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2024 Mar 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I saw this question on few Adobe Community entries, and here is a good explanation and solution by Karl Soule back on YouTube:

2024 Color - Dynamic Link Color Management in Pr and Ae
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsmBCwRAitg 

This workaround worked for me on a vast roto video editing project. 

Best,
-NR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines