• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Closed Captions Not Working (Premiere Pro 14.9 and earlier)

New Here ,
Oct 20, 2013 Oct 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to create a closed caption in premiere pro cc (trial version) but when I am in the captions tab, am unable to select the 'add' caption button. I have enabled the captions and have watched many video tutorials and searched the web for answers but there is nothing about why the 'add' caption option might not be available?

[Please choose only a short description for the thread title.]

Message was edited by: Jim Simon

TOPICS
How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 02, 2014 Jan 02, 2014

I see two issues:

1. If we're talking about the closed captions on Video 2 in the screenshot, then I notice that the track is disabled, as indicated by the slash across the eye icon.
  2. The caption clip that's loaded in the Captions panel is 608, but the Captions Settings panel is set to 708.

So you may need to set the Caption Settings to 608 and enable V2 by clicking the eye icon.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 119 Replies 119
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2015 Apr 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know. Weirdly, I still don't get why QT7 would display 608 captions but QT 10 wouldn't for the same file...

Thanks for taking the time to help me out, Kevin. I'll keep playing around with my settings and where my captions are placed. I'm obviously pretty new to the captions game, so this is very helpful. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 09, 2015 Apr 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so lets take this one step at a time and see where it goes. If you would like to send me your project file I can help you get it straightened out pretty fast. No media is needed.

Start by creating a 1920 x 1080 sequence using an XDcam HD422 Preset. Take your 4K sequence and drop it in this sequence, and don't have it reset the settings. Then place your Closed caption track on this sequence. The frame rates must match. Once you have done that export a QT MOV using the XDCAM codec and embed your captions. several things you have to consider with captions.the caption data comes before the video in time, so you can not have a caption start on the first frame of your video.

Stolen Directly from Jason Livingston "CEA-608 has very limited bandwidth, and captions must be transmitted over many frames. Roughly it takes a minimum of:

(total number of characters / 2) + (number of rows) + 3 frames in order to transmit a pop-on caption. The whole caption must be sent before it can pop on. This data can't be sent prior to the program start time, since those frames get chopped off by the TV station (the data would be lost which destroys the first caption). So if you have a commercial spot with rapid dialogue starting right at the first frame, it is inevitable that the first pop-on caption will be delayed. Captions can also be delayed if you have a very high words per minute (WPM), like an area with very dense dialogue, so the delay in the first caption can have a ripple down effect that delays all of the captions."

Hope this helps.

Kevin Christopher

kevin@agistudios.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 17, 2015 Sep 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This made all the difference for me, maybe it will help you!

Screen Shot 2015-09-17 at 12.37.04 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2015 Oct 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe staff, How can we edit the close caption timing with the handles in the timeline?  I notice there is handles but can manipulate them... it's very time consuming having to type in the timing phrase by phrase instead of just moving the little handles in the time line.

Cheers,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the question: Right now you edit the captions end and start times in the Captions panel .. that is how we are doing it now ..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...ok thanks.

If at least it could automatically trim time when you type a new time instead of always warning me that I tried to overlap a time.  If we could edit the little handles we'd go 3x faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2016 Aug 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

So I've read through all the posts - the instructions and I produce captions professionally and am starting with excellent files meeting all required standards.

Last month when I had to lay back a show to HDCAM video tape - everything when smoothly - no problems. Done.

Today, I go to lay back again and NO CAPTIONS in the HD SDI output video! I have an impending deadline and this is the really slowing down the process. By all accounts and my own experience I should be seeing captions -

What is wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2017 Sep 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a bug. I spent a good hour with somebody from Adobe remotely accessing my computer and they were equally puzzled.

Long story short, as of now, the close captioning tool won't work when outputting through Encoder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys, I founded a tutorial video (in the correct minutt link) that show us how to.
My premiere worked good till today, but this guy show me how:
https://youtu.be/Y0_UO8fBPIg?t=6m29s

https://youtu.be/Y0_UO8fBPIg?t=6m29s

Hope that work for you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed everything in the video, exactly, and it doens't work.

Has anyone else found that in Premire Pro CC 2020 the captions don't work at all? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

They are working in PR 2020. I  have not watched the video. What are the first steps you are taking, and what is the first thing that doesn't work?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To make closed captions by hand in Premiere Pro you need a lot of patience.

This is a very poorly working function in Premiere Pro. It is very tedious and needs endless

formatting and editing. Unfortunately there is not many options to tweak the titles.

Just the coloring of background and Text alone requires a constant back and forth workflow.

Adobe needs to step up here to make it a better experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2019 Mar 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

I am exporting an .MXF file and am trying to embed the captions; I am selecting 708. While playing the timeline, I can see the closed captions. But when I export the file I cannot see HD captions. Now, if I change the settings to 608, and export again, the file displays the SD captions.

How can I get the HD captions to work?

Thank you,

Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 06, 2019 Mar 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you looking at the export? You have exported MXF Op1 with both 608 and 708 and also only one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2019 Mar 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stan,

I am exporting an MXF OP1 with embedded captions. I send the file to our server in Master Control where they play it at a station that displays closed captioning. The file that has been exported with the 708 does not show the captioning. The other file that I export using the 608 does display the captions. I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds good. I have trouble finding a playback test option.

I would start by looking at the file with MediaInfo. Does it show both streams?

Only a few minutes for a test. Added 608 and 708 to sequence and exported to MXF op1a. Using MediaInfo, it shows both streams and types (e.g. ID: 1024-CC1 Format: EIA-608).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so just FYI, my organization reached out to Adobe and it seems that there is a bug, which results in the 708 (HD) Closed Captioning to not display.

Thanks for your help, folks.

D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2019 Mar 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What helped to me,

Choose Open Subtitles 29,97 fps even if you have 25 fps sequence

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2019 Mar 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, open subtitles do not work for our purpose to meet the legal requirement of having close captioning.

But thank you for the advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines