Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Computer screen freezes then goes black

Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2024 Feb 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I have been having an absolute blast with this. Randomly at times when using Premiere Pro, or After Effects or BOTH, my screen will freeze, and stay frozen from a few seconds to 30 seconds and then go black. Once the screens come back, i havent lost anything, but i need to save and close and re open the software as the monitor of the playback is just gray no matter what. I'm not too sure whether this is a software thing or if my system is crashing and whether or not it is from my CPU, GPU or RAM. I am not sure how to determine which it is and dont have the time to take my PC and have it sent for repair for a week to two. I'm not sure what to do anymore as it sets me back so much and maybe this fix will help with the other issues i am having with the apps too.

PC Specs are as followed: (Built PC around 4 years ago)

AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT 8-Core Processor

64GB DDR4 RAM running at 3200 MHz

EVGA RTX 2070 Super

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Feb 18, 2024 Feb 18, 2024

I ended up just replacing all major components in the PC as they were a bit outdated, but a new CPU, GPU and Motherboard seemed to have the issue not be around anymore. It is most likely a GPU problem is what they told me.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2024 Feb 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very odd issue! 

1.  Does this only occur with Premiere and AE?
  2.  Do you have Gameready or Studio drivers installed for your RTX2070? (You should be using the latter)
  3.  Have you tried having only one monitor plugged in, or using different ports, in an attempt to narrow down the cause?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2024 Feb 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So 90% of the time it is with PrP and AE, sometimes happens when I'm running Topaz Video AI as well.

i have tried both GR and Studio drivers. When I tried using my apps with Studio Drivers for some reason everything was unbearably slow and crashed even more.

i do get an nvlddmkm error in the event viewer so i think this might be a hardware issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This user: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fixed-nvlddmkm-gamingvideo-crash-error-bad-ram...

claimed it was a bad stick of RAM causing his issue. It's a long shot and will not be fun to troubleshoot but it's a start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another reddit user claims Windows Fast Startup was using a cached driver and caused his issue:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/12l01wf/nvlddmkm_4090_crash_solved/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2024 Feb 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

I am actually taking my whole entire PC to Micro Center today and getting a diagnostic, I tried the RAM thing earlier on and couldnt figure it out so im going to let someone with more knowledge break it down for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2024 Feb 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please let us know what they find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2024 Feb 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ended up just replacing all major components in the PC as they were a bit outdated, but a new CPU, GPU and Motherboard seemed to have the issue not be around anymore. It is most likely a GPU problem is what they told me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2024 Feb 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2024 Feb 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A longshot:

Check your video cable connections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe it's a cable connection issue, as when this problem occurs I get an "nvlddmkm" error in the event viewer log.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines