• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Continuing slow playback with proxy files and other processing "tips" in place!

Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an edit I started in April.  At first 4k files were proxied and the edit went smoothly.  So smoothly I was almost surprised. Along the way something happened, that seemed to start happening when I applied warp stabilizer and trying to do some color correction.  But since then, even with Fx muted, proxies deleted and remade, the project is at a crawl and I can't get anything done. Is this a system requirements thing?  Did an adobe update screw me? (running 13.0.1)  This is the main project on my desk and it's been killing me for months now.  I've watched every Peter McKinnon video and done all the things.  I've noticed now that new projects the progress bar stays yellow even when rendered.  This is a music video so I made an audio-only version with stills and the bar was yellow so I know somethings up.  But what??

-Proxied at 720p

-Playback resolution to 1/4 or 1/8

-Mute FX

-Turn off High Quality playback and safe margins

-Turn off autosave

-Memory preferences at 3GB

-Delete cache files

-deleted and remade proxies, tried the watermarked proxy thing for fun

-watched every Peter McKinnon video

What.  The heck.  Is happening.  Adobe, community, anyone.  Please help.

Mac OS 10.13.3 High Sierra

2.6 GHz Intelcore i7

8GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1GB

Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many cases for yellow bars, but I feel in your case:

The yellow bar appeared after you added warp stabilizer and color correction,

or maybe the clip settings and sequence settings mismatch.

More on color bars meaning here: Red, yellow, and green render bars and what they mean | Adobe Blog

8 GB of RAM is not enough, 16 GB is recommended for HD, 32 for 4K, check here please:

Adobe Premiere Pro System Requirements

What format are you using for proxies? Most advise to use GoPro Cineform proxies ...

are you working on software only renderer or GPU acceleration?

My advice is to leave the coloring and warp stabilizer for now and keep it for the last ever step before export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2019 Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Carlos I’ll try to respond to your questions in order:

1. I’ve muted Fx, and in many cases deleted warp stabilizer from clips, and no color correction is in place. I’m aware that these things should go in last and I’ve done my best to remove them from the equation.

2. As far as RAM, this edit went super smooth at the beginning of the project, actually when my hard drive was even fuller than it is now. I’ve also done similar edits on another reasonably large 4k music video project.  My internal hard drive has about 50% space remaining, so I don’t believe it’s at the threshold of slowing down considerably. Not ruling out my hardware as an issue I’m just confused why it worked fine on previous 4K edits.

The raw files were moved from the desktop to an external, and then suspecting the external (an empty 4tb drive) might have been slowing stuff down, I moved the raw files back to my hard drive on the desktop. I’m doing all this, I was suspect of my proxies so I deleted them and remade in as low res an option as available... 720p, although I think at last glance I didn’t see that gopro cineform option. As an aside, could a gopro VR plugin be at all to blame for any of this? Not editing any in VR but problems began around the time when I was doing a VR edit in the gopto software and I think it dropped a VR plugin into my Premiere.

I’m working in GPU acceleration. Could this be something with my graphics card? My version of Premiere (13.0.1) vs an older OS? I just don’t get why if things are proxied and I’m following all these steps, and if I’ve previously edited in 4k proxied without issue, what else could be going wrong.

Thank you you so much for weighing in on this! And thx for the list of externals

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay so removing lumetri and warp stabilizer from the equation makes me

conclude it might be CPU related after your premiere pro update.

I guess maybe your proxies are H.264? if so, and your CPU is not

generation 7 and beyond, this might be an issue... can you please share

your CPU version number?

Concerning the VR plugin I really do not have any idea if this

really affects premiere pro performance. Maybe Kevin Monahan

or others from Adobe staff could follow up with this?

What if you roll back to the previous working version of premiere pro?

I understand that after you updated weird stuff started happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to Carlos' advice, it would also be interesting to know what hard drives you are using for your footage. An external drive is pretty much essential for editing. If you are using your internal drive, and it is beginning to get full, then you will notice a significant slowdown over time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tx Sam for bringing this up, here's a list of externals if your Mac has only 1 local drive:

Roundup: The Best Portable Hard Drives for Video Editing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines