• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

copy-paste effect over the previous

LEGEND ,
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something that has been bothering me for a while.

Pr 2017.1

in After Effects when I copy-paste an effect from one layer to another, and it's the same type of effect, it "runs over" the effect and replace it. this is instead of creating another instance of the same effect.

in Premiere I see it does not work this way and it adds another instance. what happens if you apply the same effect for a few clips (could be a good number of those) and then decide to change the effect? so you change one time on one clip, COPY... and? the process I have found is selecting the clips before I hit paste, and choose "remove attributes" then unchecking the effects I want to keep, click o.k. this will remove the previous instance of the effect, and then finally PASTE.

I am asking especially those of you who are well experienced inside this software: wouldn't a copy-paste function that would replace the effect make more sense and a more efficient way to work? if I wanted another instance, I would copy two instances from the start and not one. I know about applying an effect on a Master Clip and that's great, but there could be a case where the same effect is applied on clips that are not from the same source... more importantly, I don't see a case where I would copy-paste an effect to another layer and want two of those instead of one.

What do you think?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you on this one ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

always nice to interact with you, Neil thanks for your time.

Well then, if you support this then that's all I need for confirmation. Will make that feature request... Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have to think about this one.

This copy/paste-overwrite already exist for fixed effects.

Sometimes I find this a nuisance as it replaces all properties, which i don't always want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a macro set up on my Conture Shuttle that removes attributes and before pasting the new ones, you still have to be careful not to delete effects you need to keep.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 30, 2017 Apr 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disable the prior effect and generally leave it there.

I like the ability to use either or delete either one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you shooternz

I guess you mean you like to keep the old effect there as a backup if you want to revert back. that option did not occur to me. I just remember where I had a few clips with levels or other Color Correction, and when I fixed one and wanted for it to apply to the rest I had to remove the other one and that seemed strange to me. I would settle for an option in the preferences for "copy paste effect removes previous if same type" something...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines