Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Crappy internet + no backwards compatibility = fits of rage

Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The internet at my company is just downright crap.  I've been trying (and failing) to update Adobe Creative Cloud for over 6 months now.  It gets to 23% (which takes about half an hour) and then it (presumably) times out and fails.

At home, using the same account I don't have this problem, so I have the latest version of everything.  At home I have the most recent version of premiere at work I'm using Premiere 2015 (9.0.2).  I worked on a project at home, brought the files into work - the project NEEDS to be finished today (at work) but the project file is simply not compatible.  What?

And now I can't update premiere because I need to update Creative Cloud first, but I can't seem to update that, all I get is the message

"The server is currently not responding.  Please try after some time (Error code: 207)"

Brilliant.  Just brilliant.  So, put simply I'm completely f*cked because files are no longer backwards compatible with software that is less than a year old.

Thanks Adobe.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Why not download the update installer at home then bring the Zip/DMG file to work and update the software that way?

Download Creative Cloud apps

Adobe CC 2017 Direct Download Links: Creative Cloud 2017 Release | ProDesignTools

Adobe CC 2015 Direct Download Links: Creative Cloud 2015 Release | ProDesignTools

At home I have the most recent version of premiere at work I'm using Premiere 2015 (9.0.2).

The most recent version is CC 2017 (11.x).

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many questions about your bad management of a situation that Adobe has no control of!!!

Wondering why you did not take your computer to a location where the internet  is better?

Why did you you update anything during a project and a deadline?

Why does the internet suck at your company?

Why did you not finish at home?

Why are you working across locations and versions?

Why did it take 6 months to realise all this?  PPro has never been backward compatible.  FACT.

You are responsible for all this so suck it up. No sympathy from me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lol, great response.  It really encapsulated that sort of Premenstral Tension sort of vibe.  And yes they could do something, retain at least a little bit of backwards compatibility and provided clearer, easy to use offline installation options.

First, I don't really fancy lugging my overly large PC home on a combination of motorbike taxis and buses.

Second.  I think you missed something there.  I didn't update in the middle of a project.  The computer at home has always been up to date.

Third, I don't know why it sucks.  I can give you the IT departments email if you'd like to ask them, though, don't expect much of a response as they don't speak English.

Fourth, I didn't finish at home because one final asset that I needed was at work and I had no access to it.

Fifth, time constraints.

Sixth, other Adobe programs have the ability to save in a format compatible with a couple versions back.

No sympathy, perfect.  You nailed the PMT book-ending of your post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not download the update installer at home then bring the Zip/DMG file to work and update the software that way?

Adobe CC 2017 Direct Download Links: Creative Cloud 2017 Release | ProDesignTools

Adobe CC 2015 Direct Download Links: Creative Cloud 2015 Release | ProDesignTools

At home I have the most recent version of premiere at work I'm using Premiere 2015 (9.0.2).

The most recent version is CC 2017 (11.x).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear that your edit isn't going smoothly, sonofasmallface.

What I hear you asking is this:

If I'm unable to get the version of Premiere Pro that I have at work to match the version of Premiere Pro at home, what are my options?  Please note: the version at work is older than the version at home.

Option A:

Run the previous version at home by downloading the previous version of PR that matches the older version at work. 

Here are instructions:

Download and install Creative Cloud apps (scroll down to "Install previous versions of apps").

Option B:

Run the current version at work by download the current stand alone installers (.zip for Windows and .dmp for Mac) at home.  Copy the installers to a USB Flash drive and then install the current version at work.

Here's the link:

Of course, both options require that you're running appropriate version of the OS.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much, that's very useful.  So basically I can download the installer at home and then bring it to work?

It won't really help today but it'll be good for future reference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines