• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS3: New project preset for HD video gives 1440 but surely its 1920 ?

Participant ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

dusting off Premiere Pro CS3 as after 2 days of hell I cant get DaVinciResolve to even add a photo to a timeline and make it 3 mins without crashing.

I launch PP CS3, select new project and select HDV, I think thats right as I see no other HD video options.

But its 1440 x 1080p 25fps...eh ???

I know TV HD to be 1920x1080, my still image is 1920 x 1080

How do I set up a new project for HD 1920x1080 in CS3 as this cannot be right at all.

PAL 25fps by the way.

I simply wish to make a 1920x1080 pixel size jpg, (or would it work with .tiff ?  DVT wont goes black)  last for 3 mins and save as .mpg  or will I need to make an .avi then convert that to .mpg  ?

How do I make it 3 mins ?

I also wonder, will in fact CS3 be able to edit .mpg files as the last time I used PP  it only liked .avi hence again why I am having to try and learn Resolve.

Cheers

TOPICS
Editing , Formats , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you create a new Sequence, make sure to click on Settings and set the Editing Mode to Custom. Now you can change everything you want.

Averdahl_0-1629383226304.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

CS3

I go new project and have two tabs, load preset and custom settings, if I choose HDV 1080p and then go custom settings the 1440 is fixed, cant edit it, what are the exact steps to create a new project in CS3 and get at this 'new sequence' that you show as I  cant find it. white on black by the way looks new style , my CS3 is black on light grey.

Cheers

Merlin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You go to custom settings, set editing mode to Desktop.

Then you can change the parameters to your liking.

Custom settings.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You go to custom settings, set editing mode to Desktop.

Then you can change the parameters to your liking.

By @Ann Bens

Oops, my memory is fading away... 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, got that. placed 1920x1080 .tif into timeline made duration 3mins ( all that has taken me 2 days of trying in Resolve, if I can stay with Premiere life will be better (then I need to ask this HD making so not that simple), I always liked premiere, but can CS3 edit .mpg and .mp4 I wonder), resolve can alter colour issues etc, can Premiere CS3 )...anyhow. I digress.....THE BIG QUESTION :-

I cant see how to create a movie 1920x1080 .mpg

File export movie is giving me only .avi

I try for File export Adobe Media Encoder but then nothing seems set right, output tab image is blurred, I see size is 320x240 what the heck ? its in NTSC, nothing is right it seems,  its not HD, its not mpg, drop down list yet again only has 1440 and so on.

Please what are all the settings to make a HD 1920x1080  .mpg PAL 25fps ? Nothing is ever simple in simple video creation ! Just why is HD elusive in all settings ?

Merlin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no presets for 1080p.

You will have to set everything manually.

CS3 was designed for HDV cameras (1440x1080)

Post screenshot of export settings with format twirled down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

export options and combo lists are:-

Premiere Pro CS3 movie export options.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...and here are my custom (using desktop choice in top dropdown as suggested) sattings to make a normal HD movie.

25fps 1920 x 1080p PAL  (I think progressive is correct for current TV flat screens ?)

in the post above I see it asks me for bitrate, and as it has a rather lowly idea of what PAL HD is, I also flounder on what bitrate should be, and other things like that, what about audio for example,  if it had a preset for normal HD then I would accept what it offers, but it doesnt do HD off the bat, get one setting wrong and its all messed up. Is pixel aspect ratio ok in my settings for the project ?

Cheers Merlin

PP CS3 test chart Project settings.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In you New Project dialog, make sure to set the Pixel Aspect Ratio to 1.0. The same goes for exports. Do not use HD Anamorphic 1080 (1.333).

For exports resulting in .mpg files, set the Format to MPEG2 in the Export Settings dialog. The default may not me .mpg in CS3, if not, go to the Multiplexer tab and play with the few options there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

start again then, new project custom select desktop alter to 1920 x 1080 set pixel to 1 ok it.

place 1920 x 1080 .tif into timeline, make 3 secs, file export Adobe media Encoder, enter 1920 1080 then select .mpeg2 and those numbers go 720 x 576.

maybe mpg cannot be hd.

give in !

select h264 (as there is no mp4) in the 'format dropdown list' then on video tab select pal and as it shows 352 x 288 I alter 352 to 1920  and it says invalid framesize/framerate for this level, please lower the frame dimensions, or frame rate or increase the profile.

What is all this ? I cannot change 352 to 1920.

Could someone please tell me the settings to enter PLEASE. I have uploaded the interface for that but need to know what to select, it wont let me do 1920x1080 .mpg, it wont let me do .mp4 HD  there is no .mp4 but I am told choose h.264 same thing, yet see above.

crying emojee !

I wanted to see the visual difference on software v hardware mp4 h264 creation by creating a 1920x1080 test chart .mpg video before converting it to .mp4

maybe I need a .mp4 chart, so how do I make an .mp4 1920 x 1080  in export ?

Merlin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...file export Adobe media Encoder, enter 1920 1080 then select .mpeg2 and those numbers go 720 x 576.

By @Merlin3

Do the opposite: Choose MPEG2 first and then change the frame size. The same logic goes for all exports, format first and then change settings.

For .mp4 you should set the format to H.264.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again !... as there is no edit post function (crazy...only allowed for posters with hundreds of posts to their name)  the edit will have to be a reply to my reply !

Here is the interface with myself trying to now make a HD mp4, if I alter 352 to 1920 and click the lower number to make that 1080 the 352 is not allowed to be 1920 it has that warning message we see here.

How can selecting H264 for mp4 not allow 1920 or anything beyond 352, 352 isnt even SD !

PP CS3 try to make mp4.jpg

I just want to make a HD chart 3 mins, for the reason explained before, so is HD .mpg impossible ? I am turning SD into SD .mp4 and wish to see if software mode is better than hardware GPU for doing so, I am making .mp4 as Resolve wont work with .mpg, perhaps I should create an SD chart and save as .mpg ? then test as an SD .mp4  its taken a week so far to make a simple chart.

Gave up with Resolve as unable to enter duration of 'clip', PP CS3 took 5 secs to do so., but stuck on PP CS3 export as MP4 HD, I  need to know the actual settings and why I cant enter 1920 as per project setting.

Merlin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish there was an edit !! also a quote tool. (ancient forum interface Adobe. )

Thanks, I saw your post upon submitting mine, one is blind before submit,,,, but I cant edit mine,

<<Do the opposite: Choose MPEG2 first and then change the frame size. The same logic goes for all exports, format first and then change settings.

For .mp4 you should set the format to H.264.>>

I did exactly that for the screen above, and as you can see, it wont let me change the numbers.

What are the settings to enter, something I am doing is wrong.

Merlin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to do what the error message says. Increase Profile and Level.

That will give you way to change the parameters.

AnnBens_0-1629482101405.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks,

Profile gave Baseline, main and High so no messing about choose High, and levels started offering 1920 at 4.2, others being 5 and 5.1 so I chose 5.1 maxing everything. I want this test chart top notch !

It now makes the video.

I play it in my video player jaksta, also win media player, also MPC-HC and its crisp and sharp then halfway through this 3 min video the chart goes fuzzy, double images appear, its alive !  a right old mess.

I remake the .mp4 again making sure the PC isnt accessing anything, play it and same problem.

What is happening ?

I have also created another timeline with an SD sized test chart, 720x576, MPEG2 PAL 25fps all things fall into place as there is a preset for this.

Makes the video .mv2 so I rename that .mpg as I dont want to have to start searching on two file names for an .mpg

It plays fine, and no mess like the .mp4

I open it into VideoReDo TVsuite 6  my prog for creating mp4 from DVD_RTAV folders, and it says 'editing of elementary streams is not yet supported'.

It was too good to be true, a preset for PAL 25fps mpeg2  so what did I do wrong ?

How do I make a NON elementary stream ?

My settings are for the HD .mp4 and also the SD .mpg as follows , also shows the mess starts after 1m 28secs of perfection , which sees the numbers double then single, and the artefacts appearing disappearing but always amess from then on.

Merlin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Had hoped to know what I did wrong, as I cannot work with still images until someone tells me.

Static chart 1920x1080 plays fine then at 50% of its play time it goes messy and animated.  WHY ?

see attached images.

Method:

Follow Ann Benns method. Profile gave choices of Baseline, main and High so no messing about I choose High, and levels started offering 1920 HD resolution at  4.2, others being 5 and 5.1 so I chose 5.1 thus maxing everything. I want this test chart top notch !

It now makes the video.

I play result my video player jaksta, also win media player, also MPC-HC and its crisp and sharp then halfway through this 3 min video the chart goes fuzzy, double images appear, its alive ! a right old mess.

I remake the .mp4 again,  making sure the PC isnt accessing anything, I play the result and same problem.

What is happening ?

I also, this time being able to select a preset,  make an SD sized test chart, 720x576, MPEG2 PAL 25fps all things fall into place.

It makes the video .mv2 so I rename that .mpg as I dont want to have to start searching on two file names for an .mpg in the future.

It plays fine, and no mess like the .mp4

Videoredo though tells me rejectd as its elementary, needs a container, so how do I get Premiere preset for .mpg to make a non elementary .mpg ?

Merlin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines