• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Default scale to frame size after importing.

Explorer ,
Sep 09, 2012 Sep 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've sent 800 of 2000 clips from Redcine to Premiere CS6 and then added metadata in my Premiere project to all of the clips.  Only thing is I didn't have "Default scale to frame size" selected.  Is there a way I can refresh the clips so that they scale when dropped into timeline without having to relog. Please tell me there's a work around without having to re-import and re-log! Heheh, scaling each clip in the timeline would be a pain.

In the future could this be preference than can be turned on and off when you want it and not based from the time of import?

Thanks

-Aaron

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 17, 2016 Nov 17, 2016

I found the answer!!

Select your multiple clips, then go to Clip > Video Options > Scale to Frame Size.

Boom.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select all the clips in the timeline, rightclick and set Scale to framesize.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ann,
Thanks for your reply.

So I just dragged 9hour and 40 minutes of 2k, 3k and 4k Red footage onto a timeline, selected it all and rightclicked and set scale to frame size.
Totally works as it should but it doesn't really help me for editing as I'm bringing clips in one at a time, not 800 at a time.

Is there a way to copy all of these clips now that they've been scaled properly and drag them back into a bin?
I've dragged clipped that have been scaled back into the project window and then back to the timeline and they do not scale properly.

I feel like if I have to right click every clip I put in the timeline to change its scale I might aswell start all over again and resent all of my selects from RedCine to Premiere with "Default scale to frame size" selected.

Adobe, is there any other way to have footage automatically scale to the timeline when dropped into the timeline if "Default scale to frame" wasn't selected at time of import?

Thanks guys!

I'm really trying to avoid about 24 hours of reimporting and data entry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a suggestion about workflow that you might find interesting. Or not.

I am not a fan of scaling to frame size. The reason is, that if I need to scale it up again, I am immediately exceeding 100% and losing quality. Whereas, if I just use Motion to scale it down, when I scale it back up I am merely going back towards 100%. It isn't until I exceed the original 100% that I have a problem.

Now, as you point out, that means I have to change the motion settings for each clip one at a time, or I can copy the previous clip on the timeline and just paste the attributes. If you make a lot of changes to each clip before continuing, then perhaps a clip at the beginning of the sequence can be set up with just the Motion setting at 50%

Still a hassle.

Perhaps this will help. It depends on the size of your monitors though. I have two 1920X1080 monitors so it leaves me room on one for a rather tall panel for my sequences. The one in the image below takes about 50% of the height of my right hand monitor.

Put all of the clips on a new staging sequence, change one to the correct frame size, copy and paste to the others. Now just put the staging sequence up above the sequence where you are building your project. Then, instead of using the Source Monitor, use the Program Monitor to select clips to use. You can scrub over your clips in the Project panel to figure out what you want to do and then find it on the staging sequence. Or just use the staging sequence. It depends on your needs. Trim it in the staging sequence if you wish and drag it from there, all trimmed and ready to go, on to the main sequence. It just copies when you drag, so you can go back to the staging sequence for another copy if you wish to do so later.

Now, as you can see from the image below, they are in the same panel. If you have multiple staging sequences, let's say, one per bin, then all of them can be up top, sharing the space. This works great for me, but I edit things rather sequentially. I shoot in order. This won't work for everyone, but it might help the OP.

second sequence.png

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 23, 2012 Sep 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I think my main issue is that footage is all different resoultions and aspects, of 4KHD, 3K, 2K and but mostly 3K which isn't 16:9.

Using "scale to match frame size" works on the 4K HD as it has the same aspect as my timeline but for the 3K I get a letterbox at top and bottom, so then I have to scale back up manually to 108% ish to fill the frame and am now losing quality, which I don't want to do.

So I've been manually scaling the 3K to 67% to fit a 1080P timeline and the 4K to 50% which is a little time consuming because at first glance you can't tell what stuff is 4K or 3K in the timeline. Having the option to scale to match height or width would be ideal I think. 

3kscaled.png

Here's a 3K shots scaled to fit frame in a 1080p timeline.... letterboxed.

Anyone know a simplier work around for this non 16:9 footage?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

aleyland wrote:

but for the 3K I get a letterbox at top and bottom, so then I have to scale back up manually to 108% ish to fill the frame and am now losing quality, which I don't want to do.

You're not losing quality. 3K has pixels to spare in an HD timeline; Premiere's "Scale to Framesize" VERY annoyingly labels the re-framed shot as "100%" zoom at the new size, but it's still referencing the original file which isn't anywhere near 100% scale at that level of zoom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there any other way to have footage automatically scale to the timeline when dropped into the timeline if "Default scale to frame" wasn't selected at time of import?

No.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in preferences and than general you'll see a little box with the setting to auto scale it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's a good tip. Actually, in CS6 there's no set to frame size, only scale to frame size.

screenshot_1096.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2016 Nov 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the answer!!

Select your multiple clips, then go to Clip > Video Options > Scale to Frame Size.

Boom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 17, 2016 Nov 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alex_Studio: That's the answer for how to change a bunch of clips at once but not for how set a default frame-size change on import. I would recommend making that a feature request: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines