• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Default transitions not working or erratic

Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2017 Jan 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New to Prem Pro and using the CC trial.  All I am trying to do is clean & smooth some camcorder video.  One item is simply applying the default transition to a scene change.  I place a cut at the scene change, then Ctrl-D to apply the default transition (crossfade).  Most of the time this does not work.  (It works great in the FREE Windows Movie Maker, so I don't believe it is a rendering or hardware issue.)  What am I missing or doing wrong?  I simply want to smooth out some abrupt scene changes which would seem to be a no-brainer, yet it won't work consistently.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 02, 2017 Jan 02, 2017

For a transition to work in PrPro, you need to give it "handles". A handle is some frames that aren't used in the clip, a half-second to a second, depending on the length of the transition, on BOTH clips being 'joined' by that transition.

Some of the amateur programs simply put them in by automatically 'grabbing' your clip and working in from your set end-points. As a professional program, PrPro won't 'guess' for you, but expect you to set your handles.

So ... typically one starts with a clip, cut

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MUCH later...... thank you, Chris -- I abandoned this thread after abandoning PP, but wanted you to know your reply appears to be spot on RE how to deal with the issue in my OP.  The 'experts' might frown upon using ANY automation or bulk edits, but sometimes that is going to be desireable and should NOT make anyone turn to some other app.  IMHO of course.  Anyway, thanks again.  Perhaps I will trial PP again and see how your suggestion works.  Take heed you taskmasters as some of us want both simplicity and fussy tweakability both, and a "support community" forum should NOT assume a questioner must know every aspect of an NLE first, as has been yammered about here.  Most unfriendly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2017 Aug 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you found a solution to your problem by now, since the thread is a few months old but I just stumbled over it as I had the same problem just recently. Anyhow, here's a link to an open source application that does exactly what you require: https://www.shotcut.org/ . There are tutorials that are easy to follow...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I usually never have problems with just plopping down my transition I want and it works.  Not today...ironicaaly these are clips that had little problems where I had to clip some from the front and back....and it is AFTER I did this that my transitons don't work.

Sincerely

Thoroughly frustrated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saved me serious frustration - seems like I forgot about this. Thanks Neil!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines