• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Delete existing captions to replace entire transcript

Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to delete a captions track completely? I need to replace the existing captions with new ones but the transcript window still displays all the text even if I manually select all the captions and delete.  There is no option to replace with a new srt file anywhere I can see.

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

The answer to your question appears to be "no," you can't delete the transcript itself. But I think the other answer to your question is that you don't need to.

If you want to replace the transcript by retranscribing, just click the 3 dots in the transcript tab and pick retranscribe.

If you don't want to use the captions from the caption track you created from the transcript, just delete the caption track: right click on the caption track header in the timeline, and pick "delete track."

In

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Nov 30, 2023 Nov 30, 2023

Right click on all clips in the transcribed timeline and choose "Ignore Transcript"

I had clips in spanish that Premiere tried to transcribe in English. Was lucky to find this fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nick, this is an important feature that PR is missing.

See my post, and other issues in this thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/how-to-import-caption-txt-file-in-premiere-p...

This is simple if you can get the person editing the text to keep the srt structure intact. But we all know that is not likely.

I don't recall if I addressed in that thread how to get a text only file. Just export the csv version and extract the text column.

Export SRT for the timecodes.

I would also take the edited text file and the original text file and do a compare in Word. If the edits have retained the caption structure, you can just make the edits in the srt.

In that post, where I talk about using Subtitle Edit to make a text file into an srt, note that SE will take the timecodes from your original SRT export for that import.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have a different problem in the same area. I have a video that I have created the transcript for and now I've decided to trim donw some parts of the video, but the transcript is not adjusting and I can't remove the excess text, any suggestions? I don't want to redo the transcript because then I would have to review and adjust all of it again.
There should be a way to delete parts of the transcript.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aline, you are correct; this can't be done.

The captions themselves adjust if you delete them as you make changes to the timeline. You could try building the "transcript" from the captions. If you don't want timecodes, export captions as csv, then just use the text column.

What you want would be a feature request:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2023 Mar 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the beginning I thought that I'm stupid or I'm to tired to find a simple way to delete captions and import new. Now I can't believe that I stuck in the midnight because such useful and powerful software don't have an option to change the imported captions in the project. Adobe what is happening to you, we gonna lose you if things gonna go this way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daniil,

This thread is discussing deleting the Transcript, not the captions. To delete the captions,  just right click the caption track header area.

To import a new srt, you can delete the caption track, or just disable it.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the continuation of my suffering

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes... there is a trick.... u have to create one audio track or any existing track that track has a sfx audio.... thats it... Now just click the 3 dots in the transcript tab and pick retranscribe. thats it....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 10, 2023 Jul 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ... 
Short story:
    If somehow unlikely you created the transcript from the audio clip (and not sequence) -->
       Go to Timeline -> Right-click on the audio clip used for the transcript -> In the context menu search for IGNORE TRANSCRIPT. That option only appears in the "AUDIO CLIP" that was used in the transcript. (My video/audio was unlinked so maybe it also appears in the video clip if you have linked clips). 
       If the transcript was created from the whole sequence:

So far, as commented in this thread, you can't delete it. But at least you can trim it. I hope that way it will not create so many markers if you work with the sequence in After Effects. 
       In the Sequence Timeline select a few seconds of IN-OUT (Mark In (shortcut: i) / Mark Out (shortcut: o).
        Then go to "Text Window" - three dots upper right (options) - Select "re-transcribe sequence" - > open "transcription preferences" and select "transcribe in point to out point only". Hope it helps in that situation.
        You can also "re-transcribe sequence" if you right-click the sequence in the Project window.

Hope this help somehow. 

Long Story:
       My problems: I work in English Premiere, and the videos I work with are in Spanish. I suppose by default the transcript is in the language set for the program.
      A few weeks back I used it for the first time, and... I was able to find a way to delete the whole English transcript and start again in Spanish! Funny thing: I can't remember how I did it that time ( I think I did the Re-transcribe option)

Now, I went to another computer, and it happened again. I got an English transcript that I have to delete. 

My solution to this issue: 

*** Right-click, in the timeline, the track that was transcribed (not the sequence, but the audio track), and in the display menu select "ignore transcript". It only appears in the track/clip that was used for the transcript. Check both video and audio and check the different audio tracks. Search for that "ignore transcript" in the context menu because I never saw it until today I noticed it. 

See you around!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2023 Aug 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.... I am new to FORUM..... I have no idea how to use this. or even if someone actually is reading this. But in my PREMIER PRO, in the 3 DOTS.... I see "Actions" "Export" (Export to text file, Export to CSV file, Export to SRT) PREFERENCES. Enable auto scrolling, spell check.... RIGHT CLICK nothing happens. I want to have subtitles in SPANISH. but when I go to Window > Text.... and then transcribe sequence.... it gives me everything in English.... Now, is in English.... and I can NOT , re do it in SPANISH..... is a "pain"...... can someone help me please...... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

First, You will have to ignore the transcript you have already done. I think I wrote how to do it about it a few posts back.

Then you have to switch to Spanish captions... It is possible to do it. But

I don't have the Adobe Premiere here so I can't tell you exactly where the options to captions to Spanish are.

I think it was in properties inside the "Text" window (the one that has the options to transcribe / captioning / ...) .

I am sorry I cannot give you right now the proper answer.

I will paste this link just in case. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/es/premiere-pro/using/working-with-captions.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again @thetikee 

How to change to Spanish captions:

Go to PREFERENCES -> Transcription 

There you will find "Transcription Language"  ... Change it to Spanish. 

~~~

I took a couple of photos;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that information. I think it will be good next time. For now it's a nightmare! I already have the track with all the transcription in ENGLISH. I can not get rid of it. I can not delete it, I can not erase it, I can not make another new transcrption in Spanish, I can not "command + Z" to undo things. It's a NIGHTMARE!. I hope you or someone else can help me to solve this mistery!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I delete, the "wrong words" in English. In the Transcript window. It also deltes the Video clip from my timeline.... is messing up my entire production. A TOTAL NIGHTMARE...... can someone from ADOBE actually read this and help me please...... I have been working for a month on this project..... Now is all messed up....... a tragedy!!!!! Please someone help me please, I needed just to have the subtitles and finish.... now I just don't know what to do..... and is there any way to contact ADOBE, or is impossible to talk to them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2023 Aug 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

There are auto-saved files of your project, maybe if you are lucky you had one auto-saved before the transcript. Though I suppose it has been a long time since that and maybe it was deleted by premiere.

If not, maybe you could create a new sequence and copy everything into it. I think it will keep the captions created before but maybe it is easier to re-transcribe. 

Also try this following step, maybe it helps to re-transcribe the sequence :

Proper way to transcribe into Spanish:

once you hace the sequence you want to trancribe go to TEXT window -> Transcript Tab -> 3 dots -> Generate Static transcript- There you can choose the language. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2023 Aug 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This one works.! Thank you. I had to re-do some of the scenes. But I clicked on the 3 dots. > then "Generate Static Transcript" then I chose the language and it works.

I also have in "Premiere Pro" > "Settings" > "Transcription" > "Transcription Language" is set to "SPANISH" Maybe that helped too. I just hope that the next time it will be easier...... Thank you for all your help DavinciWhite

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just type something, and I don't see it..... where did it go....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 10, 2023 Nov 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to replace the transcript by retranscribing, just click the 3 dots in the transcript tab and pick retranscribe.

I'm trying to do this but the retranscribe link is greyed out.  This is one of the ways that I've been going about it.

• Select all transcription clips in the timeline
  • Select the Transcript tab
  • Select all of the the content in the Transcript panel (Ctrl A)
  • Go to the 3 dots
  • Re-transcribe is greyed out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JohnnyAir,

This is an old thread and can be confusing.

You are probably still in Sequence/Program Monitor view of the transcript and it is actually a Source media transcript.

A screenshot would help.

You do not need to select anything.

If it is a single clip sequence, just find the clip in the Project Panel, Right-click, and pick "Re-transcribe."

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you Stan.  Yes I was working on the sequence instead of the clip in the project panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,  Johnny.

If you have a static transcription of the sequence, then you would have the option to re-transcribe in the 3 dot menu.

If you have a source media transcription, you would need to switch to the Source monitor view (with the clip open there), or use the method I described: find the clip in the Project Panel, Right-click, and pick "Re-transcribe."

Does that work?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2023 Nov 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right click on all clips in the transcribed timeline and choose "Ignore Transcript"

I had clips in spanish that Premiere tried to transcribe in English. Was lucky to find this fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need help with a related issue. I am using Premiere ro gnerate SRTs and caption files, which are being used in a different platform. I typically generate the captions after having exported the video. However, I need to make changes and re-export the videos without captions. I can certainly hide the caption track and export that way, but I have so many sequences and doing this manually to each sequence is very time consuming. Is there a way to disable the caption track for the entire project temporarily while I export the videos? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm not exactly sure how you have your sequences set up but when going into the export window, there should be a caption switch you can turn off. This will disable all captions during export, regardless if they are activated in the sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines