• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Delete existing captions to replace entire transcript

Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to delete a captions track completely? I need to replace the existing captions with new ones but the transcript window still displays all the text even if I manually select all the captions and delete.  There is no option to replace with a new srt file anywhere I can see.

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

The answer to your question appears to be "no," you can't delete the transcript itself. But I think the other answer to your question is that you don't need to.

If you want to replace the transcript by retranscribing, just click the 3 dots in the transcript tab and pick retranscribe.

If you don't want to use the captions from the caption track you created from the transcript, just delete the caption track: right click on the caption track header in the timeline, and pick "delete track."

In

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Nov 30, 2023 Nov 30, 2023

Right click on all clips in the transcribed timeline and choose "Ignore Transcript"

I had clips in spanish that Premiere tried to transcribe in English. Was lucky to find this fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer to your question appears to be "no," you can't delete the transcript itself. But I think the other answer to your question is that you don't need to.

If you want to replace the transcript by retranscribing, just click the 3 dots in the transcript tab and pick retranscribe.

If you don't want to use the captions from the caption track you created from the transcript, just delete the caption track: right click on the caption track header in the timeline, and pick "delete track."

In the Text Panel, switch to the Captions tab if needed, and then pick either "Create new caption track" or "Import captions from file."

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm an idiot and your a genius.  The solution was what you said in right clicking in the playhead and deleting the entire caption track.  I then simply reverted the captions pane to the saved layout and either retranscribe or import a new srt, which is exactly what I needed to do.  I was simply overthinking the process and assumed there was some specific way to replace captions when in fact its easier to just start anew.  Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome! I've found several things where I was overthinking and missing the new, obvious solution!

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. This is not true, at least now or, at least, with a new bug. If in a project i got various sequences, and in one of them i make a transcription, then i duplicate and i want a new transcription or a new caption track from an imported STR, i make what you said (delete the CC track) and the transcription in the panel remains. Not gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jaime,

I think it is still the same, but it is also true - there is no option to delete a transcript. I did not word that response well. The workaround is to re-transcribe.

There are feature requests to add this:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-ideas/add-a-quot-delete-transcript-quot-button/idi-p/135...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-ideas/provide-a-way-to-delete-a-transcription/idi-p/1361...

Each of those has only one votes - now 2 with my upvotes.

If you see a feature requests with more votes, post it here.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly. When you create a new sequence You cant transcribe a new audio. The only way I can do this is by creating new projects and open them inside the Main Project, which is the most annoying thing that i came across in Premiere.

I hope they solve this  soon. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 16, 2023 May 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Argh! I've been given a project with 14 timelines of edits that are all transcribed. What I need to do is send half of all the shots to After Effects and work from them from there. Sending clips to After Effects is taking forever because it treats transcriptions as markers and it converts them for the whole video every time.

If there's no way to remove transcriptions, I'll waste hours of work on waiting for After Effects to process data that I don't need. This is terrible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

luka,

That's painful!

How are you sending to AE? What kind of transcript?What version of PR and AE?

I just did a "Replace with AE" on a clip that has a source transcript (in a sequence with captions) and I got no AE composition or layer markers. Well, I got one clip marker that makes no sense.....

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I right click > Send to AE Composition. The transcript is of a very long take, so for each short clip it has to convert the transcript into a lot of marker points with the text. It's taking ages and it's super anoying.

Latest Premiere and AE.

Where is that transript data saved? I want to delete that file, purge the cache, whatever it takes. I need it gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lukalumen,

The transcript data is in the Project File. And very integrated with numerous project elements. I don't think it would be possible to remove it and have the project work.

I don't see "Send to AE." What version of PR are you working in?

I assume you have clips in a timeline, each clip being part of a longer source clip. You right-click the clip in the timeline and ...? Or what?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What it actually says is "Replace with AE Composition"... It sends clips to AE to work on them with the dynamic link...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing I do gets any layer or composition markers in AE. Source transcript, static transcript, single clip, multiple clips. Can you post a screenshot of what you see in PR and AE?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you can see what AE has to generate every time I send a clip to AE to edit it. This is what's taking forever. All the transcripts.transcribe.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The screenshot is very helpful. Definitely not what I am getting.

Do you have any clips that are not transcribed?

If not, but you have the source clips, you can just create a new PR project, import one of them and leave it untranscribed. Then send that to AE.

@nbechere @TeresaDemel @Kevin-Monahan Any thoughts?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They're all interviews, they transcribed them all while editing and I'm working on green screen now.

I tried creating a new project completely and then pasted the edit into a brand new sequence. It's still doing it.

It all has to be done by Monday, so I don't have time to wait for a fix. I already spent more than an hour of purely waiting on After Effects to convert this trancribed nonsense into markers. I calculated that I'll have to wait more than 4 more hours on waiting for AE while I click on clips and turn them into AE comps one by one.

It's just another way of Adobe getting in the way of my work. I've been working with Premiere / After Effects for some 20 years now. It's totally expected from this messy software, for most of the anoyances I'm not even trying to find a fix anymore...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Getting the job out is the name of the game. Painful.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2023 Aug 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any solutions on what to do if "re-transcribe sequence" is grayed out and not selectable? My audio is in French but Premiere attempted to transcribe it in English and the transcript reads like a bad lip reading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@josh31852843vus7,

A Screenshot would help. You probably just need to get to the right view of the Transcript for re-transcribe to not be grayed out.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

josh,

The new Text-based editing workflow has a learning curve, but you will find that some of the issues are very logical - but only once you get the basics sorted.

In your screenshot, in the bottom left of the Text panel/Transcript tab, you have "Follow active monitor" selected. I think that is best. And you can see that "Show Program Monitor Transcript" is active.

Also, in the 3 dot drop-down, you have "Generate static transcript" as an option.

All this means that you have a Source Media transcript. You can re-transcribe it by a) right-clicking the source that has been transcribed in the Project panel and picking ''re-transcribe", or b) double-clicking the asset in the timeline (it should open in the Source monitor, then switch to the Text panel and the Source monitor transcript should be active) 3 dots -> re-transcribe.

Your sequence shows 3 sources not transcribed. I assume those are the 3 audio tracks not part of the main clip. I assume there is an audio track with the main clip, but I don't see it.

If this doesn't work, let us know.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2023 Dec 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guy... This was an amazing help and THANK YOU but you should've led with this..

"You can re-transcribe it by a) right-clicking the source that has been transcribed in the Project panel and picking ''re-transcribe", or b) double-clicking the asset in the timeline (it should open in the Source monitor, then switch to the Text panel and the Source monitor transcript should be active) 3 dots -> re-transcribe."

Thanks again! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2023 Nov 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is actually a scenario where you do need to delete a transcript.

I've been trying to bring in a sequence which another editor has been working on simultaneously as myself. Upon import, it of course duplicates a whole bunch of clips. I've been using the "Consolidate Duplicates" feature (which is separately very buggy; I've had to go through and 'replace' every file with the exact same file just to get Premiere to recognise that they are duplicates).

Back to this point though: Consolidate Duplicates breaks with transcribed files. To be able to consolidate them, there needs to be some functionality to remove the transcript first before attempting to consolidate duplicates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a problem that similar but different...

I created the transcript and the captions from it, then made LOT's of changes to the captions (not the transcript).

the transcript doesn't change when you change the captions.. so the difference is great. 

I was asked by the client to send them the subtitles in text format for review. 

I will then need to import them back somehow and switch the old ones. 

I cant transcribe back from the captions and there is no option to import the exported caption.... I don't know what to do... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you find a solution? We are in the same park

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines