• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Discuss the Premiere Pro 22.3 UI changes: Import, Export, and Header Bar

Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm struggling too, this UI update seems a step backwards requiring more clicks etc to do the same tasks... I also can't find options to do layouts that worked very well for certain tasks. Whats happened to the caption layout for instance?

If I wanted a Premiere rush like inetrface i'd use rush... This is professional workstation software why are you dumbing it down... Shades of Final cut 10...

TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Hi Community,

Thank you for the comments, but the Premiere Pro team does not generally read feedback on these user-to-user forums (Discussions).

Regarding Export Mode: Please provide feedback to the Premiere Pro Team on this thread on the Ideas forum.

For the Header Bar: provide feedback here.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 515 Replies 515
Engaged ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's so confusing. You are trying to create a new project, but the UI is designed to import the media, instead of creating the new project. I can't remember how many times I created a project in a different folder because I confused the main panel with the location, but it was for searching the media.

You are trying to create a new project, but Premiere is designed to import the media. Let me first create the project, that's what I want, to set the location of my project, then show me the panel of import the media.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do understand that the new screen setup sorta "implies" you need to use it.Especially if you simply click the Import page tab while in another project.

You go to the File/New/Project up "top", then the Import page has the proper Name & Location options at the top. Create is still WAY the heck too far away. Sigh.

And it lets me set a folder to save without any trouble ... but I know this app can be cranky for different users.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 23, 2022 Jul 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil, it's about its meaninglessness. The Import page does not carry any significant functions, but rather looks like completed tasks for the company's management. This is the only one from the last update, along with a non-retractable panel above the viewport that cannot be hidden. It was necessary to add only one button to hide/show the panel with the import/edit/export display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 23, 2022 Jul 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Define "meaninglessness" ... seriously.

Do you mean only for yourself? Or do you think you represent all users?

That new Import page isn't of use to me. Nor clearly to you, nor to most experienced users.

We were never the "intended user base" for that new import page.

As we can as quickly as before create a project essentially in the "old" way. Name, Location, Create ... and from the Project panel or MediaBrowser panel import and organize the more complex assets and projects we have.

This page works quite well though for a significant portion of the user base. Who have simpler projects, and simply need to create a project, load the clips from a single folder, and make a quick job. And this helps them do that quickly and easily.

Are you saying that the Adobe devs should ignore other users because you don't find a process useful in your particular workflow?

Again, I don't see myself ever using that new page other than Name, Location, Create. And I don't care that it looks different than before, or that they changed the options I didn't use for other options I won't use.

I do recognize there are users totally unlike me. With different ways of doing things. And some of those do find this new import page extremely handy.

Fine ... let 'em.

Doesn't hurt me at all. Doesn't slow me down, or add one step to the workflow.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the interface is as much spread out over the pc screen as can be and
buttons lay apart a lot further from each other than before, then it's
slower for everyone.

They give us a new interface that isn't familiar, this is just another
looking interface to do the same things, it's a waste of brain capacity, as
little extra as it might be, it's a waste.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree about the buttons being spread out.

I and most 'experienced' users would want the Create button right next to the Location drop-down. So Name, Location, Create right together.

Or at the least, change the behavior so that we can hit Enter and it's auto-punching the Create button. So then Name, Location, Enter ... done.

They say the design is logical use of the screen for the appearance and for those using the new simple-project startup page options.

And thought the 'hit Enter' idea ... maybe worth thinking about.

And ... we all have to remember none of us is "everyone ...".

You and I don't find that simplified project start option of use. I do know that quite a few others love it. So telling them something they use and love is a waste ... well, not particularly a polite suggestion.

Even if you and I think of it as such ... 😉

Neil

Mod note: Edited for content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a waste of everyone's brain capacity who's having to adjust. That's
got nothing to do with being or not being polite.

Was it you who said the experienced user is not Adobe's userbase? Where do
you get this info? I use Adobe products professionally, and I have been
doing that for a longgggg time. If it's Adobe's true public statement that
professional users are not their concern, I'm out, I'm gone. That will be
the last. I step over to Resolve today. So pls tell me where you got this
info..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree with Tomghzel.

Adobe already have Rush, they can use it for quick edits, and Adobe can load it up with all the filters, effects, and tons of stuff in quick edit apps like Capcut.

And let Premiere PRO the way it is; PRO

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're trying to add content that ain't there, can't help you. How about sticking to what I actually said?

I didn't say nor imply in any way shape or form that the people using the new project start are "the user base" ... and find your comment amazingly simplistic. Clearly, they are one part of it ... and as I have also said, we experienced users with complex projects were never expected to be using this as our workflows were not touched by the change. As far as funtionality goes, except for the big space between "Location" and "Create".

That would clearly indicate that mulitple segments of the user base are expected, anticipated, and provided for.

The user base is vast, and everyone does near everything differently than you, or I, or anyone else. I can guarantee there isn't another editor on the planet who's process is exactly like yours. Or mine, or anyone's.

Thats one of the more fascinating parts of the whole video post activity to me. The incredible variety of working methods, whether to do a similar thing or not. Your comments "could" be taken as being dismissive of everyone on the planet who doesn't work exactly as you do. I wouldn't assume that ... but someone else might.

I prefer not to jump to assumptions on things like that. Personally.

And many of the people for whom the new process is slick are working professionally ... they just need to create quick simple projects and get it out the door in at times, a few minutes.

Like oh ... broadcast news, perhaps? Just as one possible pro niche where this simplified page is perfect. I do hope you would consider someone working in broadcast news as 'professional' ... even if they do use this page ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't take everything so personal Neil. It makes me think about how much easier conversations can be if you just choose a nickname and don't sign every comment you post.

In all the years I've been using Adobe products I've met, worked and shared inspiration with many people. Each with his or her own style, but never met someone who wasn't keen on speeding up the way they were working with a program.

If a change might ease work for some, but slow it down for many, this is what you get..
I don't think I have encountered anything like this before.. I'm thinking hard about other software I use professionally, but as far as I remember I've always had the option to check something on or off in the programs preferences. 

I'd like to elaborate on the point chadw59613595 is making, that I am using the software for a living. It's what makes it that much more irritating. It's really as if overnight the tools in my workshop I'm so used to use together are spread out apart around the place, locked there with chains and I'm forced to walk from one to the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About the irritating part here ... that it's so freaking far over to the 'create' button, with no way to speed it up like just hit 'enter'

Putting the Create button way the heck and gone without giving a keyboard shortcut seemed stupid to me, and clearly, a lot of other users.

I've had a number of people point out to me though that the new simplified project start is slicker than snot for their needs. At which point, I sat down and thought about it, and even tried the blame thing a bit.

Yea, I can see how for some things I could probably even use it. Some projects are pretty quick one-offs with limited assets to import, log, and corral. I'm not going to because I'm so used to the 'standard' way though.

So yes, it's stupid and irritating that the Create button is so far away and there's no keyboard short to bypass that. Totally agreed.

But at the same time, there are professionals for whom this change is a great new tool.

I can step back and see both viewpoints. And quite a few others. I have been aware for years that many people cannot seem to accept or understand the viewpoints of others as rational. And when I attempt to explain something, I'm told I'm clearly defending it.

Which is absurd. I can explain (without being critical) many things I completely abhor. Explanation does not imply concurrence. Simply ... passing on information.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, and as I recall, I gave up on AVID and Final Cut 12 years ago for similar reasons.  Whether it was because of the user interface or how project files were stored, the bottom line is when things begin to work against efficientcy people will find other options.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting points Neil.  But I agree with Tomghzel.  Who are these users who like an entire screen sucked up with insignificant options?  I too have been using Premiere, After Effects, Illustrator, Photoshop for over 20 years.  With 4 to 6 TV commercials in production at any given time, I really don't need to poke around on the interface screen only to get to a drive location of multiple client drives.  Same is true for the export options, Premiere's or Media Encoder.  Adobe really should focus on the pros since we are the ones who ultimately invest in Adobe's products.   I believe my frustration which is shared by many would be why try an reinvent the wheel when there are soooo many other important issues to fix?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Judging by what many people say on the forum, then of course this is an unsuccessful idea with the import page. I not only speak for myself, but also support others. And how should it be useful for users? Just select the frames and assemble a sequence from the bottom. Nonsense. Even so, where is the opportunity to move the selected frames in the sort I need. What kind of prim recruitment without the possibility of their rotation? Apart from choosing clips to work with and, of course, the name of the project and the way to save it, what else from the super huge panel can you really do something useful here? It's nothing, Neil. I consider this a profanity, not an update with an import page. If there are no ideas, I can suggest what would be a success.

@Baffy19 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The people complaining here ... ALL of us! ... are the ones that don't like/need/want the new setup.

What some people aren't getting is that the people who like something never post about it! They just use it. Which is why all we see here are the complaints from people with workflows like us. But that isn't the entire reality, people.

Do I like the new setup? Hades no!

Is that relevant to most other users? Hades no!

There are a significant set of users who do find this useful for professional work. And if you can't understand that other pros may well not work as you do, well ... that's hard to have a discussion then.

I never expect anyone to work as I do.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I personally do comment on a new useful tool like the remix tool. So Kudos to Adobe for making some decent changes now and again.

I am a tad disappointed (to say the least) re the new version of PP.

I have remained on the last version before the new updated import screen, header bar etc.

So much so that I am beginning to cut in resolve (something I would have never eeven remotely considered just a year ago).

But as you pointed out Neil, this is subjective.

Mo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup. And I work in Resolve nearly every day some myself. Subjectively, I intensely dislike the UI there. I've good friends who LOVE the Resolve UI, can't stand Premiere. Well ... good!

We each have something we can work in.

And ain't none of us works like anyone else.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following up with Mo Moo, I will say that at it's core After Effects is a fantastic program.  Now those yahoo's that use it for video editing should be branded with the scarlet letters.  And that's just it.  There are many users of Adobe who are NOT skilled professionals.  Am I putting them down as I've been criticized?  Yes and no.  There is something very positive to say about people who self-train and learn.  But they do lack the knowledge of how things should work.  To say that everyone's workflow is different is misleading.  How we use an application to go from A to Z may differ, but A and Z are still the same.  Just like using a door.  We all know how a door is supposed to work, but if someone moves the handle or re-invents the handle, we must spend time figuring out how to open the door.  Adobe and it's "team" thinks they can do what ever they want and we'll just adapt like stupid sheep.  Well that's the problem with Adobe. Again I will rant how they spend more time on extraneous issues and no time on what really matters to the people who pay their salary.  And "yes" I may sound rude to some kid who has been using adobe for 2 years on the educational license, but most of us here have been using Adobe for much much longer and are paying a premium subscription fee.  So I don't value some "kid's" pov with minimal experience over mine which has being using Audtion (for example) since back before Adobe bought "cool edit".  

So Neil although I respect your opinions, I do not agree that everything is equal.  Especially when it comes to seasoned users.  I think the problem is that Adobe has lost sight of first who their clients are and two what their clients actually do.  Apple was smart when it came to dumming down their software.  They made Final cut and Imovie (for dummies).  Adobe wants the best of both worlds at the expense of those who are the professionals.   If left unchecked, Adobe will turn every core application into some sort of Fisher-Price version of what it originally was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem with the disagreement. I don't expect anyone to agree that much with anyone else, actually. We're all different.

And from quite a few years of attending NAB, spending hours talking shop with tons of people, I'm very comfortable with saying that although one may need to get from A to Z, how we all get there is amazingly different.

Many find certain tools/effects/processes and entire workflows that others doing nearly the identical job never touch.

I've talked with people this last NAB for whom it's a huge slick tool. And yea, totally in professional use. They run through 4-6 projects a day from start to finish.

I can't imagine working that fast, but then ... I've had the privilege to watch say Christine Steele spend a few minutes busting out a sequence, and wow ... I'm not nearly so fast as she is. I can't even keep up with all her steps, she's pounding so many shortcuts on top of each other.

But back to this ... they built a system what works with some pro users, but not others. That actually doesn't really affect the "other" pro users ... like me & thee.

That's where  I think we'd disagree. As I'm not telling someone who's a heckuva lot faster and making more money than me as an editor, that he (or she) ain't a pro because they don't setup their projects like I do.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Adobe wants the best of both worlds at the expense of those who are the professionals."

Absolutely on point. Adobe wants to have a pro and consumer entry level product with a myriad of options bundled into one generic product. Nope...doesnt work for at all. Adobe CANNOT have the full pie. Learn to share and stay in your market sector Adobe. You cannot be everything to everyone.

Nuff said.

Mo Moo ...lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to do it deliberately and with full impact on what users will use at the exit. Then the nature of the questions will be different. And now the update from the update is added one button at a time and they rejoice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While the new interface might be better for new users, is it really 'good'?

I'd argue it is not. For example, why are the import settings on the opposite side of the screen to everything else? This is especially bad considering the import screen literally consumes the entire screen.

I do agree, it matters little to my workflow, but the same certainly can't be said for the export screen, which I actually do like but needs some TLC...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new import "page" is apparently working well for those who need that sort of simple project. TV newsrooms, mega-corp in-house video teams & suchlike. It's not meant for most of the rest of us with more complex projects.

So I don't worry about it much.

The Export page, that could definitely use some modifications. What would you suggest?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As one use example of this value of the new import page to a decent number of professional editors:

Local affiliate TV station news crew. They have a photog/talking-head go out and grab bits for several potential stories for the 5p news. Someone at the station grabs some talking head expert via zoom or whatever on the subjet.

The crew posts their vids, broken down by "story" name in a folder each. The talking head vids are put in the same folder. They've got 8-10 of these going. Just prior to broadcast, a senior staffer picks the stories and versions of each that will air. Some of the ones that get the full-length version at the 5pm slot will get a shortened one at 6pm or 10pm.

Editor X sits down with a list of storys in folders to make (of each) a 2-minute, 1-minute, and 30-second version. Goes to Premiere ... sets Name, Location (using the folder with media for the first story) and selects that folder, imports the media from that (hated here!) Import/Project Start page. With all media on a sequence option selected.

Makes a second timeline panel for doing a quick bit of Selects, using pancake mode editing. Gets the two minute time setup, drops their prototypical sound set of effects to auto-mangle sound within reason, checks for any quick color/tonal work, sends the export to MediaEncoder.

Dupes the sequence, cuts it down to 1 minute, sends that off to Me. Dupes again, cuts to 30 seconds, sends to Me. Closes the project.

Goes to Story 2. Rinse & repeat. Eight to ten different projects most days, done typically within 4-5 hours. Some days up to 15 projects in that time span.

I had that one explained to me at NAB ... and the editor using it was VERY happy with the new import page process. And if you wanna say that guy (or gal) with a network affiliate isn't a real professional editor, well ... go ahead. Yea, just 20 years making a living in network level broadcast video, but ain't no real professional ... right.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PrPro does not use everything according to the specified scenario. Everyone has their own ideas and themes. It is for this category of users that it makes sense to write about this page as unsuccessful. I'm just asking to add functionality to the Import page. Not everyone works on television as editors. I do not dispute that it completely satisfies someone's needs. But, we need functionality and flexibility here. Once created, let the developers upgrade this page. And there will be happiness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines