• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Discuss the Premiere Pro 22.3 UI changes: Import, Export, and Header Bar

Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm struggling too, this UI update seems a step backwards requiring more clicks etc to do the same tasks... I also can't find options to do layouts that worked very well for certain tasks. Whats happened to the caption layout for instance?

If I wanted a Premiere rush like inetrface i'd use rush... This is professional workstation software why are you dumbing it down... Shades of Final cut 10...

TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Hi Community,

Thank you for the comments, but the Premiere Pro team does not generally read feedback on these user-to-user forums (Discussions).

Regarding Export Mode: Please provide feedback to the Premiere Pro Team on this thread on the Ideas forum.

For the Header Bar: provide feedback here.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 515 Replies 515
LEGEND ,
Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's always a pain to get an update where the UI suddenly is so different ... for certain.

To get more workspaces showing, you hover over the little bar on the left of the one that shows initially, "grab it" with a click, and pull to the left. You can get space for several showing there.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Hutch,

Sorry for the problem. There is a lot to love in the new release but I understand your concern and surprise. Having access to the beta s great because you can prepare any workflow advancements or workaround in advance. You can also provide feedback to the developers of the product and, believe me, they live and die by this feedback. They made changes to this very feature due to feedback. So, yes, I think it would benefit you and your editing business to check out the beta, at least from time to time so you can see what's coming down the pike.

Thanks for your note.

Sincerely,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin, appreciate the response! And, apologies for the wall of text to follow 😅

Firstly to your point- I think that, as a community, Adobe users do need to submit more (constructive!) feedback both in the support forums and Uservoice. Obviously if there are channels that the dev team have open for us to communicate with them, well, we should be doing that!

That said, I do think the reality of the situation is that, as production tools are becoming less expensive and more widely-used, the scale of production has really shifted so that every individual involved has much more responsibility, while the volume of production has actually scaled up. In my own case, I'm part of a very small team, and on most gigs will have a hand in everything from shooting to post-production, on top of managing our production tools (software *and* hardware) - all across multiple clients. I don't think this is a unique scenario. To that end, as we've all developed our own specific workflows to cope with large volumes of work, there really just aren't hours in the day to try and send thoughtful feedback. In short: we're all just too busy to track what changes are coming and adapt, or inform Adobe that we like/don't like those changes. It's enough of a challenge to just keep our heads above water in terms of meeting client deadlines. To be clear, I'm not against progress, but I do feel like some of these new tools & features come at the cost of reduced performance or interrupt workflows that have been proven to work. Yes, there are oft workarounds, fixes, etc, but as the customer, I just don't want to have to engage with these - especially when I had a pipleline that worked before. The simplest way to address would be to include a Legacy UI (or at least legacy export panel a la Photoshop). But I'm not a programmer, so I don't know how realistic of an ask that is.

More broadly, a reality-check I would want to give the Adobe dev team, or... perhaps the shareholders... is that, yes, on paper expanding Premiere to integrate with Frame.io, direct uploads to Facebook/YouTube/etc are all good things. But in my experience at least, average clients just aren't willing to engage with that kind of stuff. Sure, ostensibly having your feedback served up to the editor right in the NLE is great, but we have not been able to convince a *single* client to deliver feedback that way. They'd rather recieve a link and an email, and then just communicate via email as the piece takes shape. Even some freelance producers I've worked with function the same way. Again, not opposed to progress (and for sure there are people out there who are loving and using these new features) but I think this is the reality a lot of us live.

So, my opinion on where it all boils down: of course all users want new features, but the preference will always be towards making existing features faster/better/more efficient. And even if the two are unrelated on a technical level, it's just bad optics to see an update where new features are added but core performance, or the performance of a specific workflow, is impacted negatively.

I do appreciate the Community Team's consistant professionalism and general helpfulness across all of the support forums, I know a lot of comments and posts can be, uh, lets go with "inflammatory."

Thank you for reading.
Best,
-Hutch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A list of just some of the problems with the new export interface:

1) Overwrites existing files (such as past exports) with no warning!!!

2) Can't create a new folder from the save location dialogue box!

3) New save location dialogue box doesn't show existing files, so when saving a new version of an export, you can't just copy-paste the old filename. Now you have to open the file browser, navigate to the save location and copy the filename from there. This is extremely time consuming.

4) When exporting from in to out points (such as exporting a single frame jpg), the export preview doesn't automatically show the first frame of the export. Instead it always shows the first frame of the sequence.

5) When it's necessary to adjust a single export setting (i.e. when creating a whole preset isn't necessary), you have to mouse-click to twirl down the settings rather than just using the scoll wheel like you could in the past.

6) When using a massive UHD display, you have to move over to look up in the top left corner to adjust settings and filename. Then move over again to find the export button in the bottom right. The preview window is A) useless, B) enomous, C) takes up the entire central area. And changes made to the export interface panels resets every single time you navigate to editing mode and back.

7) The export button must be mouse-clicked. Hitting enter/return doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, the UI is incredibly laggy on a relatively new MacBook Pro M1 Max, 64 GB ram.  Using Prores media.

Switching panels and clicking dropdown menus has a really noticeable hang and the CTI takes a couple seconds to "wake up" when switching to the timeline.

Kind of a bummer, frankly.

Premiere team needs to do what the After Effects team has been doing for the past few year and stop working on new features and get the software stable and fast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like deleting and re-building my custom layout fixes the issue.

Yay, I can work again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new export menu is atrocious. How can I go back to the previous system? What  is this?

[Profanity remove by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new export menu is atrocious. How can I go back to the previous system? What  is this?

By @defaulto5a05c2fp60z

If i remember correctly hitting the ESC-key on the keyboard should take you back. (I downgraded to 22.2 because the Import/Export is badly designed, not ready for release and takes up valuable screen real estate...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't like it also; I don't know, I may get used to it with time. In the meanwhile, I find the new Quick Export button to be useful and I'm using it all the time: just put in there the presets that you use frequently, then it's a matter of naming your exported file and pressing the export button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By previous system do you mean previous versions of Premiere? That would be your option. You can visit your Creative Cloud app and install a previous version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IF you take the time to go through the presets and unstar all the ones you'll never use, create ones (if you don't have them) for the ones you do use, with every setting you want ... then the export screen can work pretty slick.

But if you want to see the names of the other clips in the folder you're exporting to ... it won't work. But all you need do is simply hit queue to MediaEncoder ... and you get the older dialog that when you click on the file name, shows you the folder it's currently going to with the filenames in that folder showing.

Which at times is very necessary.

And I'll be arguing with the engineers and supers about that in the morning here at NAB in Vegas. Among other things.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 24, 2022 Apr 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea I fully agree about the previous export name issue, and I've posted about it here before as well since the Beta. Oftentimes I'll find myself in that fun _v8, _v9 etc world, and the new export lacking the feature to simple open the destination and quickly copy the previous name for versioning etc is frustrating. But hopefully this is an easy fix and you can convince them hah.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2022 Apr 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil - do your best/worst at the conference for us all!!! :).

It just looks like an attempt to simplify (the same way Final Cut was dumbed down in later versions). I of course can always use media encoder which gives me the features I need - but - really - at least give us an option to choose - advanced menu or "easy" menu!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not hating it as much as I hate the New Project menu, but it has one glaring issue... no 'cancel' or 'back' button. Sometimes pressing escape took me back to the edit screen, but most of the time, once I'd entered the Export screen I was committed to exporing something, whether I wanted to or not. Most times, hitting the escape key did nothing. I couldn't even go back by clicking the Import or Edit tabs in the top ribbon. The only way out of the screen is to export. 

ADOBE, HANG YOUR HEAD IN SHAME!!!

Also, does anyone else find the new Export screen extremely sluggish in its responsiveness? Not to mention very slow to open? I'm operating on a Windows 11 PC, Intel Core i9-11900KF 8-Core processor, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 16GB GDDR6 VRAM graphics card, 64GB DDR4 3200MHZ (2 x 32GB), 2TB SSD with 100GB free space, and working with 1080 proxies - yet I'm getting serious lag when I try to change any settings in the Export screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot agree with the post enough. The Export window is utterly terrible. The layout, the execution, the UI. It is an utterly baffling mess with a whole bunch of extra clicks. This is 100% a case of dev for the sake of dev. It did not require fixing, and you have replaced it with something so devoid of logic.

For the love of video editing .. please please please revert the exporter .... PLEASE !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In regards to the complaints about Export mode not allowing you to choose a name from a previous export as a starting place for the name . . . this issue has been fixed, and you can test it in public beta right now.

We have implemented a "Save As" dialog instead of just a simple location picker which we had before. This action allows you to set the name in the same step as choosing the location, including the ability to click on a previous file to copy the name. We usually don't promise when a fix will be released, but I can say that we intend to get this into the very next patch release since this is causing such a headache for so many people. 

Many apologies for the frustration.

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 3.21.11 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally found the new 'save as' option ... it's a tiny phrase in the upper left corner of that first dialog that opens when you click the filename of the export. Not easy to see, nor obvious. You have to click that to get that 'save as ...' behavior.

One rather major issue ... past it is SO not obvious a process ... it only shows media in the same format as the current export!

Um ... so, you're now wanting to make an H.264 deliverable of your master file ... but the master is a ProRes therefore mov ... and you can't see mov filenames with an H.264 export.

For me, that's rather a problem.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2022 Sep 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The export menu is terrible. The UI is becomming more and more like FCPX. Why should i keep on using Premiere then???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 10, 2022 Sep 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As has been heavily discussed, the new Export page isn't a huge fan "hit". IF you take a half hour to rebuild things, it's ... usable.(And less annoying.)

• Go through and deselect all the presets that are "starred" a favorite.
  • Create detailed presets for all the things you DO use routinelinely, naming them precisely.
  • Make multiple presets with different sub-settings if those are from the 'more' area.

Now when using it, you don't waste time and clicks.

As to why to continue to use any video post app, these are ALL just tools, people. Fancy hammers. Fer cryin' out loud, just use what floats your boat. I use Premiere & Resolve daily. There are Resolve users with issues also, complaining that BM is clearly targeting the YouTubes and abandoning the "real Pro".

So pick your poison. I don't see a "Perfect!" option out there.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2022 Sep 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thnx for your reply.

My frustration is not only with the new export menu which wastes so much screen real estate but also wiht the very, very, very bugy performance of the 2022 versions on my mac studio.

It's at a point where I am losing time and nerves because i constantly have to battle issues instead of getting my job done. Issues like exports having a frozen image for the first second, playback beeing "stuck" for about 10 seconds, flasframes playing back MXF files, not having realtime feedback while color correcting in lumetri to name a few.

I realy hope this gets better soon.

My frustration certainly doesn't ly with you. But with software which is costing me money and making my job (whic i've been doing for the last ten years) a hassle.

Sorry for the rant - it's just that terrible at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just another user, with years of experience providing professional images to clients.

The work has to get out to the nice people who pay your bills. Period. So getting frustrated when the tools aren't working properly is natural.

All these apps are simply tools. Fancy hammers. Ya gotta use what works on your gear/media/effects/deliverables.

There are several million users of PrPro at this time. Most are getting along fine. It screams along on both my 3960x Ryzen desktop and my 4 year old Acer laptop.

And on many Macs, both "conventional" and M1.

But the variability of performance across the user base seems wider and far more unpredictable than in the past. Which is disturbing and frustrating.

I work daily with colorists mostly based in Resolve, and spend a lot of time in that app. And on the BM forums and LGG.

Variability of performance in Resolve also varies dramatically. I think trying to be everything for everyone may inherently be problematic.

Post your troubles in detail on their UserVoice portal as that is the primary input system for both the engineers and the all-important M&E types well above the program teams who actually make the more major decisions.

And use whatever fancy hammer gets the work out the door.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fancy hammer for me is AME: the old-fashioned export window!

Too much clicking, vital info missing. Cannot see if e.g. preview files are on or off without clicking.

Don't get me started on the preset manager,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe way, 2 steps forward, 28 steps back. You guys should patent and trademark your unique style of development.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welp Premiere Pro just went full Final Cut X on us with this one. The new project/import menu alone seems like it belongs in a program thats aimed at not professionals, call it Premiere Rush or something. Damn thing works like a mobile app now. 

I think were going to have a meeting at work with the fine folks at Black Magic Design, cause this shite (includeing the dozens of other useless apps) is gettting less and less worth the stupid full CC price a year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work daily in both Resolve and Premiere. And actually, for me ... my first impression in the public beta months ago, was that the new import & export "pages" are far more Resolve-like than Premiere has been. I don't think Final Cut was in the equation at all. The "battle" is between R & P.

And you can skip the import page forever if you want.

The export page is pretty useful ... it's very easy to say get all the System presets shown then un-star everything you don't use, so the ONLY presets you see listed are the ones that you actually use. For me, that's actually an improvement.

Adding in Frame.io is going to be a huge benefit to a lot of professional users.

I would rather have had the effort put into other things than the new front-end, but ... not my choice.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines