• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Discuss the Premiere Pro 22.3 UI changes: Import, Export, and Header Bar

Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm struggling too, this UI update seems a step backwards requiring more clicks etc to do the same tasks... I also can't find options to do layouts that worked very well for certain tasks. Whats happened to the caption layout for instance?

If I wanted a Premiere rush like inetrface i'd use rush... This is professional workstation software why are you dumbing it down... Shades of Final cut 10...

TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Hi Community,

Thank you for the comments, but the Premiere Pro team does not generally read feedback on these user-to-user forums (Discussions).

Regarding Export Mode: Please provide feedback to the Premiere Pro Team on this thread on the Ideas forum.

For the Header Bar: provide feedback here.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 518 Replies 518
LEGEND ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not saying the complaint's aren't justified, as anyone will and should have their own opinion and state it. It's just that some of the extra angst, that I don't get, true. And please do note, my response directly above was to someone who was complaining, from the apparent idea, that "send to Me" function was no longer available to him.

Well, it is, with the exact same export dialog when you send to Me and open it there. So for him, who had been sending to Me, and wanted to send to Me ... well, there were two changes. Where the "send to UI" button was placed, and that he should use the dialog once he got to Me rather than before. The functionality he wanted is still there. The same dialog.

But for you, feeling the jump to Me shouldn't be necessary to get the "old" Export dialog, sure, fire away. We're all different. And your feelings count as much as anyone's here. We're all ... one, though.

Much of the time I do simple exports via Premiere. But if it's anything major, I send to Me so I can keep working. As doing exports within Premiere shuts the app down during the export.

I found ... from a totally practical viewpoint ... that by taking ten minutes to rebuild the presets setup, and another ten or so to create a few new personal presets, that the new export system in Premiere works. Not that it's perfect, better, nor any qualification for 'feel'. But in practical terms, it can work once the user sets it up for their needs.

As to "feel", the new export page is too close to the Resolve paradigm for my tastes. Although I use Resolve a fair amount, I don't like the UI. And more use of Resolve hasn't make me fonder of it. But ... it's usable, for what it is.

So I can now do an export from Premiere to one of my carefully crafted presets quickly & efficiently. It works. Looks different, but it works for what it can do.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow Neil, you are really busy here... 🙂

Mo is one step ahead of me again... I was thinking about AE, and why I like that interface and operation. With AE, they make it easy to get right to the working screen. It's kind of a pain to get the the PP working screen without a project loaded. Thus kind of a pain to get people here to clear their cache of everything cause almost always have to have a project is open in PP. AE, you can start doing things and then make / name the project after.

I open MS Word, I can start typing immediatly. I don't need it to insert a bunch of words in chronological order in order to have a head start on my document. PP is now making a timeline for you just like that. Ugh.... With no disregard for Camtasia (I use SnagIt regularly) This is a feature for the non-tech crowd... And anyway, why can't that we have our choice of workspace, that's a thing we all like about PP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On vacation after NAB, with some minor health issues so ... bored, you know?

😉

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted Adobe to know that after a full week - I still think this update sucks- I tried and still hate it- I work in your products 40 hrs a week and have done so for for over a decade.. It is the first time I will roll back and continue to use the old iterations of the software becasue of  how lame the update is with its stupid new, limiting, obastacle filled GUI and buggy performance. Adobe staff, you have failed on this and I hope the engineers and production staff hear me loud and clear. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree!!! Just simple tasks and simple presets are SCREWED UP and taking forever to do something that in the past took only minutes to do.  C'mon engineers, time to work on something productive instead of messing up our lives!!!  What a bunch of crap you have created!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What simple tasks are screwed up?

The old project start process still works as-was. So is it the new "improved!" (ha) export process, what?

That dialog is a pain, though as noted you can make it mostly not too bad by taking the time to unstar all the presets you'll never use, and make a set of detailed presets you will use. Trading some time doing setup work for a lot of ticking the stupid 'more ...' button.

And of course, if you simply 'send to MediaEncoder' you get the old export dialog.

But is anything else wrong on your rig?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil, how did you become the defender in here... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's not about still being able to do the same things. Men, ik can
make it so that when you work on 3 monitors, the presets are by default
found on the one furthest to the left, and the 'start to encode' button is
on the monitor furthest to the right. And you know what, make them dark
grey and the font darker grey so you can't really distinguish those either.
Neil will probably still insist you can do the same things in the same
amount of steps, or else just export to Media Encoder.

People are being a little hyperbolic in their use of language because they
don't like an update that gives you about the same that you had but then in
a confusing manner.

If there is one new feature that is useful for some tv broadcasting
channels, make it optionable, not forced down on and at the cost of
everyone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 04, 2022 Aug 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tomghzel: Nailed it!

When someone provides Neil with a detailed list of problems with these updates, Neil finally admits there are some issues. Then later, whenever someone else comes on and says the updates are terrible, Neil acts as though they're imagining things and just complaining about the newness of it. Selective memory loss.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I just opened up this new version and created a new project...kinda like the new option to select the media to import before setting the project up EXCEPT...
1-I wasn't given an option (or I didn't see it) as to where I wanted the new project to be saved...did I miss something?

2-ALL my video files were selected and when I went to the ONE file I wanted to start with (thinking it had unselected the others, silly me) it imported ALL my video files!!! I had to delete everything out of the project and reimport the ONE file I wanted to work on...Is there a way to deselect Adobe's initial selection of files or to make it so that it won't select ALL the video files on my computer??? (I hope so, because this would be time consuming and tedious if not 🤦)

This will take some getting used to and I hope that I won't run into some of the issues I've read about here (I have pretty long videos). I don't generally have time to relearn software as I'm a one person shop and my business is not video editing (though it's one of the fun things I get to do) but I know you're just trying to improve the process for all. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Name & Location are the two top options, upper left.

It's pretty easy to grab things you don't intend, you need to make sure basically EVERY option is un-starred to begin with then star (favorite) locations carefullly. Including drilling down to the actual folders or files. Be wary of things being 'blue' and therefore active on the left side.

Go through all system presets, unstar everything you'll never use.

When you create your presets, select EVERY option you need even if sometimes you don't use it. Create two presets if you want a modded version.

Or ... give project a name and location, go to lower right, create project ... and import from the Project panel or Media Browser as before.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil, it's much simpler. Those users who hate the new interface, unlike me, strongly recommend that when creating a new project, bypass the Import tab located on the Header Bar and immediately go to the Edit tab. All. It's elementary simple. And there is no need to call developers names for unsuccessful product improvement. Just do this and you will download it as you are used to, using the good old method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As stated in that and other posts, it's not a change at all in my workflow to create a new solo project.

Name, Location, "Create".

Done. Just as before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to mention, when creating a project, when you need to specify Media instead of the create button (at the bottom right of the Import area), click Cancel next to it. That's all. Upload media files to your project as before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to properly customise the new export screen? I'm looking in particular for the following features (very possible I've missed them).
1. The ability for new destinations created in the "select destination" bar to actually stay there after creating a new project and/or selecting a different/multiple timelines.
2. The ability to re-organize destinations permenantly.

Like, I can create new destinations and rename them, but this doesn't carry over to new projects and timelines, I need to create the new destinations and select my presets manually from the drop-down every time. I figure there has to be a way to make setting up export settings on this screen to carry forward permanently, otherwise it seems like a massively wasted opportunity. What am I missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello to everyone,

While I get the usefulness of the new header bar for some people, it's a waste of space for others, but I can't find a way to remove it.. Can it be done, or we are stuck with it?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's ... there. Takes as much space as the old header bar, but they don't allow as much space wtihin it to put your workspaces on it.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can pull all your panels out out of the main interface and make them floating windows, then minimize the main interface. No more header bar!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stated that from day one. I have ultrawide monitors so it is an even worse waste of screen real estate. 

The CEO, Programmers and Project Managers need to be available for a live stream where the users can ask questions. Who is responsible for the Header and why was the programmer and the Premiere Pro Project Manager not fired? 

Like others I have made the switch to Resolve. For the record everyone who switched from Premiere Pro to Resolve or Premiere to FCPX stated they miss the custom GUI of Premiere Pro. 

Adobe gave us a new titling system that is worse than the old titling system. Now Adobe gave us a GUI that is worse than before. We need support for BRAW! We need the transitions GPU enabled! We need the CC tools revamped but Adobe wasted time on the header!  It is safe to say the Adobe staff has become nothing but a bunch of idiots at this point in time! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andy, I know ... you've said over and over, that any one who disagrees with you should be fired. Whatever.

A lot of users are going to find the new UI interface actually a massive improvement. You didn't, we get that. I didn't need it, but what the hay ... it's there. It actually works once you know what it does & how to use it, it's mainly just different. And over time, I think most users will be better served with it.

The new import & export "pages" are actually very Resolve-like, that's what struck me on first seeing them. Which bummed me, because I don't like Resolve's UI, though I do work in it daily. As you note, I'm one of those that vastly prefer the customization of the worskpaces we can do in Premiere, that we can't in Resolve.

(And you're leaving Premiere for Resolve because they adopted a couple minor UI changes that are pretty much copied from Resolve ... hmmm .... )

But you don't have to USE the new import/export pages if you don't want to. And it's easy to actually customize them and make the darn things work when you're doing something they work well for. And the minute or two it takes to learn and customize those two pages ... is far less time than learning a completely different UI for everything.

You' ve made it clear you think the new graphics is worse than the old. Like many users, I strenuously disagree with you on that. I vastly prefer the newer setup, though it took them a long time to get all the tools into it.

There are some users that prefer the old titler ... and the pattern of work with that. Very understandable. But that thing looked and behaved like something out of 1993. And the code dated to about then also. The only thing I think really lacking at this point is we do need to get the ability to 'house' them in project bins so they stay with the project they were created for. And I think we'll get that in not too long now.

But basically ... if "they" don't do what you want, they're all flipping idiots and should be fired. Well, um ... that comes across as running on a bit of an ego to me.

I have strong disagreements with several of the staffers, and a fair number of decisions that have been made over the years. I've posted epic rants here about the issues.

But I don't conflate my brilliance against their being an idiot. They're nice people that I happen to have an intense disagreement with.

And some things ... they have no control over. From several comments made, there were orders from way up the chain, well above all the product teams, that a certain branding Look needed to be applied to the Adobe programs. At that point, they all just work for Adobe. They do what they're ordered. Which doesn't make them an idiot or insensitive, simply ... an employee doing what the boss says.

If you want to totally relearn a very different UI because you're ticked about a couple things, have at it. As I've said so often, these are all simply tools. Fancy hammers.

Use what works, lose the emotions, and get on with Life.

Neil

(And ... ps ... you'll have less chance of changing Resolve's stance on things than Premiere's ... just a note.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>But you don't have to USE the new import/export pages if you don't want to

Really?  How do I go back to the old ones? This new interface is a lot less focused, & adds friction points in changing export settings, I don't want to have to expand & collapse submenus for things—what on Earth was wrong with focused tabs?

Anyway...please, how do I make it not use the new import/export UI?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As noted elsewhere ... starting a new project.

Give the project a name and location in the upper left corner ... that's as you've always done. Hit the create button lower right corner ... your project is open.

Either go to the project panel, right-click/Import ... or go to the Media Browser to import assets. What's different about this? Nothing I can see.

Export ... use the queue to MediaEncoder, and you get the export dialog you always had.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah.

"Open another app" is not a good solution. This whole overhaul just adds clicks. It adds pain points. It's many steps backward for efficiency.

I was hoping you meant there were an option in Premiere to just use the previous, efficient UI.

This is akin to the giant mess Adobe made in Photoshop when they overhauled Save As without warning—and under the torrent of complaints, they relented and restored legacy options. I don't understand why they've chosen to go through all that again...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What other app are you talking about? Me isn't another app ... although some users may not realize that.

Me is ... and always has been ... the encoding/export "engine" for Premiere and AfterEffects. If you export 'directly' from Pr or Ae, you don't "need" to see the UI for Me, so they don't show it.

If you "queue to Me", then you see the UI for Me. As always.

But it is STILL that "app" doing the work. For all Pr and Ae encodes. As always.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys can I please ask you respectfully to stop any further conversation?

We are out of topic, thanks for your input, but please it's time to end this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines