• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Discuss the Premiere Pro 22.3 UI changes: Import, Export, and Header Bar

Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm struggling too, this UI update seems a step backwards requiring more clicks etc to do the same tasks... I also can't find options to do layouts that worked very well for certain tasks. Whats happened to the caption layout for instance?

If I wanted a Premiere rush like inetrface i'd use rush... This is professional workstation software why are you dumbing it down... Shades of Final cut 10...

TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Hi Community,

Thank you for the comments, but the Premiere Pro team does not generally read feedback on these user-to-user forums (Discussions).

Regarding Export Mode: Please provide feedback to the Premiere Pro Team on this thread on the Ideas forum.

For the Header Bar: provide feedback here.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 515 Replies 515
Engaged ,
May 11, 2023 May 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Kevin-Monahan 

1. Clicking 'Premiere Pro' in the first four links brings us back here.
  2. It's an infinite loop of madness.
  3. The one link that mentions User Voice is the help link.
  4. And while Adobe 'welcomes feedback' on the apps listed, Premiere is not listed.
  5. Comically, this impenetrable wall of bureaucracy now sums-up the Adobe experience.
  6. Is that why the post was marked 'Correct Answer'?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 11, 2023 May 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello csscms,

Sorry for the confusion. I'm not sure if you are aware that, since last December, User Voice is no longer the platform for filing bugs and feature reqeusts. Bug reports and feature requests (called Ideas) are now here on Adobe forums.

There are probably hundreds of old links to User Voice on these forums. I have not had time to hunt them all down and redirect them to the Bugs and Ideas forums, sorry.

This post has no "correct" answer as it is a discussion about the new UI. I pinned it there a year ago before User Voice migrated, so that people could find the feature request to file any comments or upvotes. As you already know, (because you've already voiced your opinion on that request), that post is here.

When I have a moment, I'll edit this post. Thanks for drawing my attention to it. I hope this clears up any misunderstanding.

All the Best,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 12, 2023 May 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i bristle at this. A bug report is not an “Idea.” A feature you implemented
either completely works, or it doesn’t. “Clicking this button causes the
software to reliably crash” should not be lumped into the same forum as
“wouldn’t it be great if there was a button made unicorns happen?”

Furthermore, bug reports should not require a certain threshold of votes
for you to address them. If the button reliably crashes the software for
me, and i’m paying 800 dollars a year for this suite, i don’t particularly
*care* how many other people it’s happening to. It’s happening to ME, and
i’m your customer, so please fix it. You shouldn’t require a consensus of
people before you decide to fix a broken feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

This is really BASIC UI/UX stuff. The flow of the new UI is utterly baffling. The old UI hand ALL the settings one side. The SAME side as the export button. So it flowed from the top the bottom.The new UI starts on the upper left and moves across then down then across again. Coupled with the fact the window is not resizeable or moveable make this design decision utterly baffling. Why directly swap the settings and preview window to be on exact opposite sides from both versions. Even if you had to update the UI why wouldn’t you just leave these things in place. You could have easily achieved placing the new settings directly on the right hand side with far less interruption to the flow of the window.

As many have commented, the settings and clip selection are the exact opposite place on the window as the export button ?????? Previously is was ALL on the same side. And TABS ... its vastly easier to acces and view settings with TABS. That’s why we all use them for browsing on literally EVERYTHING else. They are a superior system for organising and viewing information. Burying basic setings inside click to open menus is terrible design.The fact the window is set and unmoveable is simply unforgiveable. I am at a loss to understand that decision. Which brings us to real estate.

This is just so obvious I’m not sure how to address it in any meaninful way. This is clearly born out of (as above) the window being set and not scalable or moveable. This seriously needs to be addresed ASAP as is it one of the main causes of frustration with the new UI. Things like left hand “destination” panel. I will NEVER use this, as many of your other users will not (I completely understand some will) but the fact it has a dedicated panel space is bizarre. Once again, could have placed on the RIGHT hand side AS A TAB and the preview window left on the left hand side ????

The obvious layout should have been - PREVIEW WINDOW - DESTINATION SETTINGS - EXPORT SETTINGS Or preferablly LEFT THE EXPORT WINDOW AS IT WAS and just added a destination tab

The ONLY improvemet I can see is having the ability to simply access presets for export. But once again, buried behind clicks and could have more than easily just been incorporated into the vastly superior previous export window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm mostly in agreement with you on this.

For their new system, they say they looked at the steps most users mostly used, considered what they thought most users actually needed, and tried to design a page to fit.

The logic in their new system was a flow left-to-right across the page from choosing an export type first ... so upper left ... then moving to media settings for the export, showing only those things most people used therefore "needed" to see, and providing a larger preview than before. The larger preview has apparently been requested in many forms and in their M&E testing/surveying of users.

So I can see the logic used. And yet see this as an example where a logically designed system ends up being just ... wrong for the use for so many users.

The other thing about this ... is as noted, it more closely resembles the *structure* of the export page for Resolve, and I'm told FCPx also. Ahem.

Never used FCPx, and though I do use Resolve regularly, I don't like Resolve's UI.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funnily, as noted by many others ...I never use the preview window at this point in the process. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't worry about it myself, yea.

But some users really worry about that preview. We've had some long threads here over the years because someone thought something didn't show right in the preview window.

"Is it correct in Program monitor?" ... well, yes.

"Is it correct in the exported file?" ... well, yes.

But the preview is "wrong" so how can they be sure?

Like you, I don't even hardly look at it. But clearly, everyone's mileage always varies.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very true. But EVERYONE uses the Export setings. So why would you adjust the UI to favour the preview window when only a portion of the users use it in that process. I'd be curious to see what surveys and testing they get this user info from. It is plainly obvious from the forum engaged user base that very few people requested these changes.

Apart from the that, as above, the logic of the work flow still doesn't make sense from their stand point. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there, Heathenlamb,

Thanks for your candid feedback about how community support posts here are handled vs. bug reports/feature request posts directed at the team on User Voice. It is appreciated. I realize it is somewhat confusing how it all works. If you need help or have a complaint, it shouldn't matter the surface you're on. Unfortunately, the current way it works will have to do for now. 

As far as joining the community posts with the bug report forms into a single forum, that is something that I've always wanted as well. You see Premiere Pro engineering engaging on User Voice and even here from time to time, so that would be great to go to only a single place. You have the support folks like me for most things. For bugs and features, the Premiere Pro team relies on the upvotes, so I think it is wiser to search and upvote an identical bug or feature. If you don't like the UI? Please search for the most bang-on UI post and upvote it. 

Check out the "Photoshop Ecosystem" forum to see where the digital video forums might be heading. That may give you some hope that your request is being looked at. I hope that helps.

If anyone needs support, please begin a chat with us, and we'll get a ticket opened. BTW, this forum is support-oriented, not for OT discussion. We have a video lounge forum for such discussions. Check it out, as I may move this discussion there.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Heathenlamb,

Can you copy/paste this thoughtful critique into a User Voice bug report? That would be great to get such detailed feedback to the team.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback Kevin. I have done so already. But I will say, it is the one aspect of the User Voice that can be frustrating. You have no idea if it's been read or even looked it. I get that we are told it is taken onboard. But sooo many of the posts just seem to sit there with no apparent interaction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Heathenlamb,

Thanks for the response, and sorry again for the frustration. If I were on the other end of the editing stick (my Adobe tools are free as an employee benefit), I might be frustrated too. I always look for the good and the wins when new stuff hits the ground, though. It doesn't take the team long to tweak the more significant issues, so I try not to get emotional. Getting updates almost monthly allows engineering staff to react quickly to provide changes, changes that used to take months or even years. What were the times we'd wait for a new version of FCP? A couple of years?

You have no idea if it's been read or even looked it. I get that we are told it is taken onboard. But sooo many of the posts just seem to sit there with no apparent interaction.

I will withhold any criticism of User Voice; it's a good company. I even attended a conference by them in the past: good stuff. Our forums software has enough intelligence to ensure that an ACP or an Adobe employee has touched every response. If we combine the systems and discontinue User Voice, I will ensure that the bug reports and feature requests also have this function. This change, if it happens, may take some time, however, so I'll have to ask for your patience. 

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, thanks for the reply and feedback Kevin. It is very much apprecaited.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few responses ...

Far too many (posts) are unusable. Because all they are is a short statement: "X is broken. Fix it". But have no additional information. If X ain't broke on any in-house systems, they have no way in Heck to figure out what's going on.

So they want posts with information ... what specifically is broke, on what system with what media and what effects used. That gives them at least some basis to track whatever it is down. And further, confidence that if they contact that user, they can nail down addional relevant information. Which they do at times as needed.

But there are hundreds of thousands of users spread all over the whole planet. With different needs, interests, media, workflows ... everything.

Which leads me to the last thing ... I'm always amazed at how differently we all work within and use these programs. It seems most users think that the way they approach something is a typical way that most others would. And from talking with as many users as I have, that ain't nearly the case.

Even talking with five editors from the same shop, with a senior editor and the four staffers who that SE has trained from noobs ... they laughed about how varied their workflows were for the same types of jobs.

So my basic assumption is there isn't another soul on the planet that uses Premiere like I do.

Yea, we certainly all are unique individuals ...  😉

Neil

Mod note: Edited for content

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely. Each user uses Premiere tools in different ways, achieving results. Therefore, the video editor belongs to the NLE category. There is no limit to perfection, only a creative approach is needed. But I will say that there are limitations in achieving this creativity, since there are simple flaws in the software. I still can't understand why engineers won't add the ability to animate text from the graphics panel for the TRACKING function. It is there, but there is no way to animate it. This is a very popular function in the installation process. And there are many such simple flaws.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think with animating text, they figure that's so easy to do in Ae, with the mogrts things there that can export to Pr ... that they don't see the reason to bring that into Pr. Right or wrong from the user's side, that seems to be the thought pattern.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil, if there is a function, so give a few improvements and that's it. It is there. That's the point of having it in Premiere. As for the animation in AE, yes, no problem. But, as I understand it, the emphasis of engineers lately, as we can see from the latest updates, is aimed at inexperienced users. That's exactly where this animation feature is needed. A novice editor is unlikely to get into AE and animate text there for his simple project. And I'm 100% sure. And so it would be great ) According to the idea, AE is a more advanced tool for experienced users. Therefore, such simple things should be in Premiere. And that's not all. The same goes for the animation of keyframes. It's so boring to work with them in Premiere that it's not exciting. Give us scripts prepared in advance for quick applications to scenes. Give us a reverse (swap the beginning of the keyframe to the end and back). These are insanely popular features. Where is it? Or is the product exclusively for inexperienced users? Who the hell makes these decisions. Put me in this marketing and you will see the difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the preview window is incredibly useful and necessary, how can you tell what effects you're laying onto it and where if you cant preview it? just keep doing exports and hoping your adjustments look good and nudging a little every time until magically it works?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My exports look as expected from the sequence/program monitor view. Once I've got any effects/color set as I want, I don't get changes at export. So ... I'm not seeing any unexpected changes between Program monitor and export preview window.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we switch back to the old export panel of premiere pro? new version is just irritating and confusing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we switch back to the old export panel of premiere pro? new version is just irritating and confusing

By @AkashSingh

No, there is no way to change it.

What you can do is to either downgrade back to version 22.2 or send the export directly to Adobe Media Encoder from the new export window. Adobe Media Encoder still has the old and better export window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new export window needs a different process.

First, it takes a few minutes setting up. Do this, and it actually can work for some things without irritation. And of course, as Averdahl notes, queue to Me when needed. So to get the Export dialog working ...

• Go to the Preset Manager, and unstar every one that you're not going to use. That's a lot of unstarring!
  • Now make your own presets. Including all the lower-section options that you use occasionally. If sometimes you use X and sometimes don't, make two presets with/without, named so you know. By the time you finish this, you've done most of the work you'll need.

Once you have that preset dropdown cleaned up & setup with your own detailed presets, it actually works pretty quick.

But having to open mulitple tabs like this is a pain.

And the problem with the names not appearing in the folder when you name/locate the file will go away soon. That was "an unfortunate oversight" according to senior devs here at NAB, that will get fixed quick.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to export a simple wav audio file, in the Format box you click the drop-down, scroll down to wav ... is that what you need?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines