• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding. Crash problem in Premiere.

Participant ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a long time (may be half of year) with all latest updated of  Windows 10, Nvidia studio drivers and Premiere Pro I have the same problem. If I'm switching from Premiere to another window (like pressing Alt+Tab) once my system is freezing for about a minute, not responding. Then screen blinks and Premiere is closing. I don't see any special messages about why it's closing. But if I go to Windows Event Viewer I see "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

The way how this happened is very specific. I don't have any crashes with other programs or tests of system stability and video card. This crash only could be if I work in Premiere then switch to other window like Firefox or After Effects. Not everytime when I'm switching to another window I get this crash. But because I work in Premiere and After Effects at one project and I need to switch many times and once (for example every 30 minutes of work) I have this crash.

My video card is RTX 2080 Ti.

TOPICS
Crash

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Hey! I used to have the same problem, and this solution should work for you. Try turning off HAGS (Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling). Here is a guide on how to do that. There is also a thread on Reddit about the problem here, if turning off HAGS doesn't work for you. Turning off HAGS, in my experience, also fixes a lot of issues unrelated to this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly same issue! Any fix???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SPfoto,

Please try a clean reinstalltion of your video drivers.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 26, 2022 Feb 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this exact same problem involving "NVLDDMKM stopped responding". It's been happeining three times a week after I upgraded from a 1070 to a 3080 Ti.  I just did an entire Windows 11 reinstall to see if that would fix it, but within minutes of using Premiere, it happened again. In this case, Premiere was generating waveforms, but this is definitely not a commonality with this error. I clicked on the Settings app in the taskbar and everything froze, then the screen went to black. It recovered, but now in Premiere the video window is black until I restart the program. Event viewer says "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." four times.

Are you on an AMD processor or Intel? Did you fix it? I have an AMD.

Anyone having any progress with this error?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2022 Mar 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Issue for me for the past week.

Current version of Ppro plus last version same issue. Image displays for a few minutes then goes fully black and loses resolution restraints from sequence. Event viewer "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." but image is not restored in Premiere pro until computer is restarted then the problem cycles.

Have tried multiple driver versions both Studio + Game ready. Problem only occurs in Ppro, Davinci Resolve is stable. 

Have tried re-encoding the footage on the timeline to other formats, and scrubbing clips straight from camera.

i9-12900KF 3.19 GHz
64GB DDR5 RAM
Geforce RTX 3080

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi teamc87943184,

Sorry for this. Can you try a clean reinstallation of your NVIDIA drivers. Wiping them clean and then reinstalling has worked in the past. Try it out. Good luck.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all, I think its a 3080 problem. I never had these issues with my 1070. And I swapped them out for a week to see and had literally no problems at all, no NVLDDMKM errors. 3080 also has latency issues that I didn't have before. I got LatencyMon and the NVIDIA driver causes a lot of latency where it wasn't present before with the 1070. And its manifesting more now that I did a clean reinstall, the whole system will not play video until I unplug my Audio interface and plug it back in. (Focusrite 2i2)

I did a clean reinstall of Windows 11 at the end of February and since then the NVDDMKM error has happened 6 times. It really only happens with Premiere, I think it's something to do with Premiere going in and out of focus as I go to the Explorer and Chrome to get notes or whatever. It gets confused and then everything halts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 3090 and as soon as I upgraded my RAM a couple months ago, this became a problem for me as well.  Only happening when I am swapping to Chrome and then back to Premiere or even File Explorer and back to Premiere while Premiere was generating peaks.  It happened a lot more when I overclocked the RAM but even after setting the RAM back to regular speeds, it happened again after awhile of working correctly.  This thread is the only thread I've found that replicates what is happening on my end so I'll be following along hoping for some advice.  Thanks for putting this out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, Daniel. Have you inspected the NVIDIA control panel for the 3080? Is it looking similar to your previous NVIDIA control panel? Interesting note on the Focusrite device. Worth considering as a potential culprit. Changing program focus as a possible cause of problems is also a distinct possibility. I will keep my eyes open on the topic and hope I can come across a solution for you.

Take Care,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact problem but not just with Premiere Pro. I use AE,ME,Illustrator opened at the same time, while working going back and forth with these 3 programs using alt-tab or clicking on the task bar it would crash with blank screen and returns with composition preview would go white blank and won't preivew anything till i restart each app. It happens with 2 different configuration computers(win10,win11) with different cpus and gpus, one at home and one at working place. I tried many things and no luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a follow up: It only happens when i have any Adobe AE,PP,ME and illustrator opened. I tried to disable Hardware acceleration and still i can produce the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having very simlar issues. Happens mostly with complex AE projects for me but sometimes its other apps (aka Premiere / Media Encoder). Was about to RMA my GPU unless a fix can be found here. Happens very randomly but when it does happen its a show stopper.

All these Nvidia Hardware errors when running Adobe Apps lately...

scrozier_0-1653457959549.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have a GTX 2080 ti and an AMD Ryzen 3960x CPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I found a solution after some digging. It seems to be related to lights on your case or gpu. i turned off my case lights and it stopped happening. I don't know for sure, but it's working for me so far. If you have multiple programs running that control the fan lights, it's very likely a culprit. Something about the programs sending instructions to the gpu at the same time as programs are doing it. It's def not specific to AMD or Intel or a specific GPU manufacturer. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried turning off all my case lights. I was still able to get it to crash via an After Effects render.

I have been trying to stress test my GPU to see if I can get it to crash the display driver in any other app other than AE/Premiere Pro to see if I have a faulty GPU. So far a blender benchmark, 3D Mark, and Halo Infinite with unlocked framerate (100% GPU Usage) have not been able to bring it down so I suspect there is something very wrong in Adobe's CUDA code at this point. Trying to investigate it further but not sure what my options are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thought maybe it was related the "hardware accelerated video decode" checkbox, but it still crashed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not 100% sure but I think it might be related to dual displays? I turned off one of my displays mid render and it crashed the GPU driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you also turn off your GPU lights? And delete any program that would be controlling your case lights/fans? (ASUS Armory Crate for instance). I'm in the same boat as you, it doesn't happen while I'm gaming, but it does happen while I'm editing. Here's a huge thread on it from reddit:

https://www.youtube.com/redirect?event=video_description&redir_token=QUFFLUhqa3B2b3g1UWJrb1p6WDNVVmp...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to install Armory Crate to turn off the gpu lights then I uninstalled it. None of that solved my issue...

What seems to be working at least for this evening is I moved the graphics card in my rig down from slot#1 to slot #2.

It's a PCIe 4.0 x16 slot with x8 lanes. Slot #1 is an x16 lane maybe that caused the issue somehow or maybe just reseating the graphics card in another lane where the CPU cooler wasn't pushing up against it fixed my hardware issue. I'm not 100% sure. Pci-e #3 is also an X16 lane but I think the drop in performance is basically negligible from what I understand.

scrozier_0-1653630114701.png

I've been encoding a big batch of proxies and organizing a project in premeire and haven't had a single GPU blackout yet last 4+ hours (it was happening every 20-30 min at least before this) crossing my fingers that this does the trick.

I haven't opened the super problematic .aep project I was working on but I might try that later and report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2022 May 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update on this? I have tried this but i did produce the problem.

I give up. I'm rolling back to 2020 versions of adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 03, 2022 Jun 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess at this point is that its somehow tied to MFR and GPU usage but Adobe doesn't check these forums so I guess I'll try and shout into the voice that is User Voice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! I used to have the same problem, and this solution should work for you. Try turning off HAGS (Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling). Here is a guide on how to do that. There is also a thread on Reddit about the problem here, if turning off HAGS doesn't work for you. Turning off HAGS, in my experience, also fixes a lot of issues unrelated to this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, HAGS is NOT the same as Mercury Playback acceleration in Premiere. It is a setting within Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, after 3 months and 32913922193193 attempts to fix this problem, something helped me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 17, 2022 Sep 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Really hoping this is the fix this has been driving me up a wall. I almost RMA'd my video card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines