Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding. Crash problem in Premiere.

Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a long time (may be half of year) with all latest updated of  Windows 10, Nvidia studio drivers and Premiere Pro I have the same problem. If I'm switching from Premiere to another window (like pressing Alt+Tab) once my system is freezing for about a minute, not responding. Then screen blinks and Premiere is closing. I don't see any special messages about why it's closing. But if I go to Windows Event Viewer I see "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

The way how this happened is very specific. I don't have any crashes with other programs or tests of system stability and video card. This crash only could be if I work in Premiere then switch to other window like Firefox or After Effects. Not everytime when I'm switching to another window I get this crash. But because I work in Premiere and After Effects at one project and I need to switch many times and once (for example every 30 minutes of work) I have this crash.

My video card is RTX 2080 Ti.

TOPICS
Crash

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly same issue! Any fix???

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SPfoto,

Please try a clean reinstalltion of your video drivers.

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 26, 2022 Feb 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this exact same problem involving "NVLDDMKM stopped responding". It's been happeining three times a week after I upgraded from a 1070 to a 3080 Ti.  I just did an entire Windows 11 reinstall to see if that would fix it, but within minutes of using Premiere, it happened again. In this case, Premiere was generating waveforms, but this is definitely not a commonality with this error. I clicked on the Settings app in the taskbar and everything froze, then the screen went to black. It recovered, but now in Premiere the video window is black until I restart the program. Event viewer says "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." four times.

Are you on an AMD processor or Intel? Did you fix it? I have an AMD.

Anyone having any progress with this error?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2022 Mar 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Issue for me for the past week.

Current version of Ppro plus last version same issue. Image displays for a few minutes then goes fully black and loses resolution restraints from sequence. Event viewer "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." but image is not restored in Premiere pro until computer is restarted then the problem cycles.

Have tried multiple driver versions both Studio + Game ready. Problem only occurs in Ppro, Davinci Resolve is stable. 

Have tried re-encoding the footage on the timeline to other formats, and scrubbing clips straight from camera.

i9-12900KF 3.19 GHz
64GB DDR5 RAM
Geforce RTX 3080

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi teamc87943184,

Sorry for this. Can you try a clean reinstallation of your NVIDIA drivers. Wiping them clean and then reinstalling has worked in the past. Try it out. Good luck.

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all, I think its a 3080 problem. I never had these issues with my 1070. And I swapped them out for a week to see and had literally no problems at all, no NVLDDMKM errors. 3080 also has latency issues that I didn't have before. I got LatencyMon and the NVIDIA driver causes a lot of latency where it wasn't present before with the 1070. And its manifesting more now that I did a clean reinstall, the whole system will not play video until I unplug my Audio interface and plug it back in. (Focusrite 2i2)

I did a clean reinstall of Windows 11 at the end of February and since then the NVDDMKM error has happened 6 times. It really only happens with Premiere, I think it's something to do with Premiere going in and out of focus as I go to the Explorer and Chrome to get notes or whatever. It gets confused and then everything halts.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, Daniel. Have you inspected the NVIDIA control panel for the 3080? Is it looking similar to your previous NVIDIA control panel? Interesting note on the Focusrite device. Worth considering as a potential culprit. Changing program focus as a possible cause of problems is also a distinct possibility. I will keep my eyes open on the topic and hope I can come across a solution for you.

Take Care,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact problem but not just with Premiere Pro. I use AE,ME,Illustrator opened at the same time, while working going back and forth with these 3 programs using alt-tab or clicking on the task bar it would crash with blank screen and returns with composition preview would go white blank and won't preivew anything till i restart each app. It happens with 2 different configuration computers(win10,win11) with different cpus and gpus, one at home and one at working place. I tried many things and no luck.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just a follow up: It only happens when i have any Adobe AE,PP,ME and illustrator opened. I tried to disable Hardware acceleration and still i can produce the problem.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines