• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dolby Audio Decoder missing after Premiere CC 2018 (V12) update

Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to the most recent version of Premiere: CC 2018 from Creative Cloud.

When I opened a project I had been working on earlier today that has some .ac3 tracks on some of the sequences, those tracks are redded out and I now get an error message "Missing Dolby Audio Encoder." I get the same message when I try to import .ac3 files into the updated Audition program.

I have been using Premiere CC for several years, have installed all the updates & never had this problem before.

I have an individual (not Enterprise) Subscription on Windows 7.  I ran CC Cleaner Registry check after the install.  It cleared up some paths, but didn't fix this issue.

Please help.  I am up against a deadline!

Wsquared

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Adobe Creative Cloud has moved to native Operating System (OS) support for Dolby Digital decoding (reading Dolby files) and is no longer providing support for encoding (writing) Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus sound formats in the current and future releases of Creative Cloud.

Adobe Creative Cloud apps use native OS support for Dolby

Adobe recommends that you update to the latest version of your Creative Cloud softwareand updating to a more secure operating system (Windows 10 preferred). If

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 326 Replies 326
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Encoding is not supported.

Aaronjack probably means decoding (importing files with dolby audio which is done by the OS)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have had no luck getting the "Windows 10 fix"  to work fix this issue

in Premiere Elements 18. It simply does not work. I'm recording

AVCHD with Dolby audio .MTS

How about some help from someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Contact Customer Care

ask for video queue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't take you anywhere except back to the forums. Is there a real person to speak with?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

real person on chat or phone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So here's what I found out after a long time on the phone.

According to Adobe Tech Support in India, this is a .MTS bug

that they are supposed to be working on. Who really knows though.

All I know is that I work for a nonprofit that spent over $1,000 on 10 licenses.

Not to mention a nonprofit license for 5 of the CC.

We teach folks in the community how to use Elements and in many cases, they

turn around a purchase it for their homes. I can't in good conscience recommend any

upgrading to these folks nor can I stand to take a financial because of this issue. We were

an Avid house for 15yrs. and dumped them because of stuff like this. Until now, we've really

enjoyed the ease of use of the Elements products.

We've spent a lot of time, money, and energy while at the same time recommending previous

products to our community producers.

I guess I'm looking for some finality before I request a refund from my vendor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Adobe Creative Cloud has moved to native Operating System (OS) support for Dolby Digital decoding (reading Dolby files) and is no longer providing support for encoding (writing) Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital Plus sound formats in the current and future releases of Creative Cloud."

Adobe Creative Cloud apps use native OS support for Dolby

You might be able to use a third-party utility like Handbrake (a free open-source video transcoder) to convert your MTS/ACS files. Rename the files and reimport them into Premiere Pro. Then clear your media cache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also from the same Adobe help page, in the FAQ at the bottom:

Are there differences between the native OS support for Dolby and the technology previously supported in Adobe’s products?

Decode/Playback: No – as a digital format decode either works or does not work.

Encode: This is not possible with the OS-integrated Dolby Technology.  However, most encoding happens as part of distribution, not during the creative process where Adobe tools are primarily used. For those requiring Dolby encoding capabilities, please consider third party options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which third party is compatible to recover audio in the new version 2018 of premiere 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Johnny, you could try Handbrake.

BUT, your better bet is just to roll back your system (if you can)...

Please see post #220 above for more details and possible solutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That link that Adobe Staff keeps giving this forum is just a general support page. I need to talk to some one. This is so insane. I'm sick to my stomach and super stressed. I have the director of this doc that I'm editing come over on Monday to fine tune the edits and I'm now spending my weekend trying to figure out how to open the thing.  Someone help. I have PP 2018 on Window 7. I like Windows 7 and don't want to change that. I use to be able to reinstall the previous version when Adobe did stuff like this to us. And let's face it, Adobe does this to us regularly.

ADOBE GIVE US A SOLUTION!!! And don't send us to some general support page again. That page is how we got to this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah...to the guy who said contact support - I DID

All of my raw video files were, suddenly, unrecognizable.

Tech support's response? We don't support Dolby anymore. In other words, they have no clue how to fix the problem. And go away!

Fortunately, I found out that all I had to do was add an extension to the raw file and Premiere would work. Unfortunately, I now have to do that to over 400 video files.

And...of course, two hours out of my work day - shot and gone to hell and I'll never see those two hours again.

I'm stunned that Adobe can throw folks, like me, who have used PP for at least a decade under the bus.

Oh...and they have no more regard for MACs than they do Windows.

What a way to run a business!

P.S. Can't wait for MY customer survey. Not that anyone reads them, OBVIOUSLY!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm curious. What extension did you use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I would love to know what extension you used!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having this problem, looking through this forum is disappointing to see others having this problem too with no solution other than upgrading to Windows 10 which I am not able to do. This sucks. Adobe have screwed up here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe that it is due to a licensing issue between Dolby and Adobe, not between Dolby and Microsoft. You see, Windows 7 has always required third-party software or codec packs for Dolby Digital support even for decoding to begin with. And Dolby has recently increased the licensing fees to use the Dolby Digital encoders, which resulted in Adobe opting out of paying Dolby the significantly higher licensing fees. The other option would have been Adobe raising the subscription prices significantly for Premiere Pro and some other CC programs to compensate for the drastically higher licensing costs from Dolby.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if you got the email from Adobe they are raising their prices on subscriptions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Utterly ridiculous.

All because the company does not SELL a product but LEASES it to you monthly, moving to Subs was a pain enough, but now because of that methodology they can now just update our software and pull such vital support from it with NO WARNING.

This should have been an update, with a MASSIVE splash screen upon loading that warned you this was going to happen.

Had this been a program i just purchased and owned in full this would not be an issue.
They just would have ceased updating it, and that would have been fine, and given me time to look at alternatives, meanwhile it still works, just does not get funky new features.

As it is I know have a project in full swing which has ceased to be functional in the software and the best the can come up with is 'Update the entire OS of your system'
As if that's as simple as updating the PP software.

Bull... utter bull.

Now to mad panic find another product to purchase, so i can get my work completed in any form of timely fashion

I have had it with Adobe.

1 simple step and you have rendered your service useless to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely. Well said mate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should have been an update a MASSIVE splash screen

I definitely agree with that, but..."they" didn't update your software.

You did.  On a production machine.  Without testing it first, apparently.  That's your fault.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since i cant figure out how to fix this issue in adobe i decided to convert the video with the AC3 audio with an external video converter and downloaded audacity to edit my AC3 audio (unfortunately you will likely have to export that edited audio to mp3 or something supported by premiere, audition etc.) you may have to follow this to use AC3 in audition: How to Open & edit Dolby Digital AC3 audio with Audacity « Audacity :: WonderHowTo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Releasing this update without a clear upfront warning that it might require a major system upgrade & simultaneously render past projects useless is an epic fail on Adobe's part. Dunno if its the result of fundamental incompetence, a case of over weaning arrogance or a combination of both. Do upper level managers at Adobe know this happened or are the project managers covering it up? Does anyone at Adobe even care that they inflicting unnecessary difficulties and delays on their customers that could cost those customers money, time and possibly lost business?

In any case, for others in the same boat, I am using Pegasys TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works to transcode my .ac3 files into .wav so I can use them in editing in Premier and also to convert Premier audio tracks from projects into Dolby for DVD mastering. I have been using TMPGEnc for years.  It has the ability to transcode a wide variety of formats.

For more info, trial downloads etc go to:

TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 6 - The Best Video Encoder Just Got Better.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated and have the same issue.  I cannot believe that Adobe screwed us again. I need to finish this job. No clue how to get my audio to work.  Adobe is an unethical company who thinks of profits only.  How can they just eliminate dolby?   They have no fix and do not care.  Need to move back to Final Cut

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Revert back to 2017.

Download Creative Cloud apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann, you might be a lifesaver. I'm in the process of reinstalling 2017 as we speak. (crossing fingers)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines