• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dynamics Obsolete - Tell Adobe to Reinstate It.

Contributor ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reinstate the Dynamic effect so it is no longer obsolete!

Fill out the

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Your vote counts. Let Adobe know.

Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2017

The Dynamics audio effect is the most heavily used and important effect I depend on. I have edited over 300 videos for 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations. All these videos utilize the Dynamics audio effect. I was shocked to see that Adobe Premiere Pro CC2017 placed such an essential effect on the Obsolete list.

Why is Dynamics so important? It was very easy to use, and extremely powerful with compression, limiter, gate, and other features in a single dialog. The controls are very interactive and adjustable on the fly. The compressor level meter (bar) lets me quickly see how much audio compression is used when listening to various sections of the video. End users often ask me why my audio is so consistently good. The Dynamics effect is why. I cannot live without it.

In contrast, the new Dynamics Processing audio effect is missing most of the features of the Dynamics effect. For example, Dynamics Processing lacks the compressor level meter (bar) so interactive compression adjustments are impossible since there is no visible feedback.

Will Adobe in a few releases just remove the Dynamics effect? Will over 300 videos I edited suddenly not be re-editable after spending hundreds of hours carefully adjusting the Dynamics settings for each video. If this happens, I can assure you that thousands of my end users will be vehemently upset as will my bosses.

The Adobe Premiere Forum has numerous threads with people upset about this. As one thread said, "There are a lot of editors that rely on this plugin everyday for it's ease of use.  I work with a team of freelance editors that have limited experience on audio compression/limiting etc... and Dynamics saves my workload for over modulated audio that most editors have no clue on how to mix."

Eliminating the Dynamics audio effect instead of keeping it makes no economic sense. We currently need to acquire more Adobe Cloud licenses for additional video editing staff. Since losing the Dynamics audio effect will cause major headaches, I have been told that those additional licenses are on hold until this issue is resolved favorably by reinstating the Dynamics effect so it is no longer obsolete.

I would encourage everyone to fill out the Feature Request/Bug Report Form to strongly let Adobe know that removing the Dynamics audio effect is not acceptable. Your vote counts. Let Adobe know.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's how I competed the Feature/Bug form:

How would you like the feature to work?

I'd like it to work just as it always did... just not be on the chopping block.

Why is this feature important to you?

First: I need meters. Especially the Compressor and Expander meters that help me set the threshold for the effect. And overall level meter doesn't provide that feedback.

Second: this tool puts the four audio tools I rely on daily (Gate, Compressor, Expander, Limiter) in one, easy to adjust panel. They all affect each other.

Yes, I rely on my ear to ultimately judge the result of the settings. The metering gets me there faster.

When I looked at the new dynamics tools, my first reaction was "Where are the meters?". I assumed I wasn't looking in the right place. But I never found them.

I'm not opposed to learning new things, but I've got work to do. Is there a good reason to drop the "obsolete" tools? Is there a good tutorial to teach this old dog a new trick?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great filing.

Giving the team and the managers simply stated, clear reasons something works better "x" way is very good. I have heard that some of the reports they get give very little justification or use, but do occasionally say only how stupid it is not to have "x".

Those reports are not as useful to change minds or illuminate a path. Yours was a very good report.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a good reason to drop the "obsolete" tools?

I think there is, yes.  I believe (hope) it's part of an ongoing strategy to make Audition more useful.  Currently as a destructive editor, it doesn't serve the needs of video production very well, especially when picture lock never happens.

2017 saw the introduction of Audition effects into PP.  2017.1 saw the ability to send your sequence over to Audition without rendering new audio files.

Things are moving in the right direction, I believe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2017 Sep 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I get the idea of being able to move projects to Audition, and with the 'obsolete' effects, the editor can't do that.

I don't use Audition. I do all my audio in Premiere Pro, and it does everything I need. If I did use Audition, I'd still want it to have all the audio metering that audio engineers have relied on for decades. Or perhaps someone can point me to a good tutorial on setting threshold levels without being able to see the effect on the amount of compression being applied. Again.. old dog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines