• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Enlarging a square mask in premiere

Participant ,
Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I keep the corners of a rectangular mask at 90 degrees and expand it in premiere?  I am not talking about the "mask expansion" effect, which only goes so far and give my rectangle rounded edges.  I want to create a large rectangle from the rectangle mask, but when i click on a corner or two pressing "shift," this does not allow me to keep the shape a rectangle with 90 degree angles.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 22, 2022 Jan 22, 2022

AnnBens_0-1642865932009.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe it ctrl-shift-alt click/drag, then drag from one of the sides and not the corner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to do it on a side by side basis:

With the selection tool, click outside the mask and drag over the two corners you wish to move together, and release.

The two corner boxes you dragged over will fill blue (this is kind of hard to see).

Click on either of the two filled boxes first, then hold down the shift key (to constrain the movement to 90 degrees) and drag the side of the rectangle where you want it.

Repeat with the other sides of the rectangle.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

neither of the above replies was working for me. the best solution i've found so far is to hover with Shift pressed down over a corner or the mask until your cursor looks like diagonally oppositional arrows. then you can drag to expand the size of the mask, keeping it in rectangle shape.  But I would like to make it a square shape, keeping the angles at 90 degrees, and have no solution for that yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3 years later and there is still no way to make a simple square mask and adjust its size in Adobe Premiere. Itäs really surprising.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup. Pathetic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2022 Jan 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This drives me crazy every time I re-size a rectangular mask. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AnnBens_0-1642865932009.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UHHHH yeah one would think that's how it works... but it doesn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done this over and over and it doesn't work the way it should. Here are the steps: I carefully CTRL-Select two adjacent corners of a rectangular mask I JUST created with the rectangular mask button in the Opacity effect control. I then hold SHIFT and drag one of the corners. The resulting corners are like 92 degrees or 94 degrees or 91 degrees but NEVER a real 90. It makes the mask look sloppy and causes me extra time and stress in the edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The resulting corners are like 92 degrees or 94 degrees or 91 degrees but NEVER a real 90. It makes the mask look sloppy and causes me extra time and stress in the edit.

By @M1st3rT

I get your point, dragging 2 corners at once does not always result in a perfect 90° or 45° for that matter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To fill out Ann's answer a bit, tap and hold the Shift key with the cursor away from the mask. While holding the Shift key down, move the cursor in towards a corner until you get the double-ended arrow that goes in and out from the mask ... NOT the curved double-ended that goes around the mask.

Now you can click on a corner and drag to resize the entire mask.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2023 Apr 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The rectangular mask is one way and it works, thanks!, but I have to look up the process every time.

Another way is with the Crop effect. You can key frame the edges. Higher percentage on top, bottom, right and left mean the edges move in from the sides.

WARNING: Extremely counter-intuitive Crop>mask. Just the way you can draw an opacity mask with an oval, square or pen tool, after you apply the Crop effect you can use the same tools under the Crop heading for the shape of the crop. Though NOTHING HAPPENS when you do that.

Then hit the INVERT button and increase the top or bottom or left or right % to 100% so it wipes across the whole frame.. NOW everything is cropped/gone except within the mask shape.

Can someone conceptualize this process so it makes sense to me? I'll owe you one.

Cordially,

Doug vanderHoof in Chicago

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines