• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error retrieving frame **** at time **

Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to footage taken at a recent event that I shot with one camera, I imported it into premiere pro cc 2019 and then exported it only to get this error message every few seconds.

"Error retrieving frame **** at time **:**:**:** from the file"

The footage was shot on a C300 at 24 fps, in full HD, the sequence is 24 fps 1920x1080 which is a match./

it's only when I try to export it out that I start getting the error.

Please help.

Thanks

H&M

included is a screen capture (hope it helps)

Screen Shot 2019-04-16 at 08.12.07.png

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

Moderator Note: There are two potential answers to an "Error Retrieving Frame" error. 

• Issue 1: Error Retrieving Frame **** at time **. (Usually occurs with .mxf files)
    • Answer: "Move the footage to a dedicated, internal Media drive."

• Issue 2: Error Retrieving Frame (Usually occurs with underpowered computer systems and H.264 variable frame rate files).
    • Answer: Do one of the following
      • Choose Project Settings > General and select "Software Only."
      • Create a proxy for the file.
      • Transcode th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Here's an updated article with some troubleshooting steps to try if you are experiencing the error: https://videowithjens.com/premiere-pro-error-retrieving-frame/

If you prefer watching a video, I've made that too: 

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jul 10, 2023 Jul 10, 2023

Hello Community,

Try deleting any video preview files (render files). That has also helped some editors.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 125 Replies 125
Explorer ,
Jun 10, 2019 Jun 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue here. ProRes 422 HQ source and export. If I have an illustrator file in the timeline but disabled, I get the error. If I remove the unused AI file, it's good.

Except for the sequence I originally got the error on... even after removing the AI files, that particular sequence gives me the error. If I go frame by frame on the output, however, there are no black or duplicated frames.

Is everyone checking the output to make sure it's actually creating a bad export?

I'll try emptying the cache and restart, see if that helps the one sequence.

Cheers,

Harry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No joy with the restart.

I tried the 444 workaround, and while it does export error free, when I play back the .mov file, I get a weird glitch on a all the dissolves: the incoming clip's frames are overexposed and contrasty during the dissolve, then snap back to correct exposure when the dissolve ends. The outgoing clip ends without fading to black. This happens in dissolves between motion footage and stills. Dissolves between stills seem fine.

Very obvious and jarring.

If I render the sequence first, it still does this in 444.

If I export an H.264, it's perfectly fine.

One more data point. One more error.

C'mon Adobe, you can do better. We are all on the hook for $22 per month minimum for the rest of our lives. Spend a few bucks. Solve this problem. Don't hire the cheapest programmers. Throw us a solid.

Please.

H.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's really astounding. CEO makes $22MM per year, and we can't make a product that... just... works.

It was better in 1997.

H.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can't make a product that... just... works.

Under all conditions, probably not.  Don't think anyone can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks, found this thread while working on a customer case. I just wanted to say that we're aware of this one and investigating the issue. As always I can't comment on schedule.

Cheers,

Chad Baker | Enterprise Support | Adobe Pro Video

[DVAPR-4217142]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2019 Aug 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I understand that you cannot comment about timeframe, can you at least verify that progress is being made to fix this problem?

I have lost (easily) 40 hours of non-billable time (and a bit of sleep) trying to isolate and work around this mess. I intend to pursue some

form of credit with Adobe in the long term, however in the short term I need to evaluate my options for the completion of my client's project.

I have changed settings so as to not use the graphics card.

I have moved project media to an internal drive.

I have changed preview settings to DNX (instead of ProRes422).

I have created a new project and imported the sequences.

I have discarded render files, attempted to recreate render files, and restarted my PC countless times.

The media that seems to be at the root of the problem is:

UHD 23.976 XAVC mp4

My system is a:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor, 3725 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)

Each tweak brought some minor gain, but has been temporary and insufficient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recorded with HEVC and without, I have been doing simple movies, no edits... just dashcam vids for a few years. Only have fades in and out (beginning and end). The moment I updated to latest PP 2019, the ERF errors immediately started, where there were zero errors before. Opening older projects that worked flawlessly also failed with this ERF error. And this was during my placing of the videos in the timeline and adjusting the colors. I couldnt get to the export because the errors froze up my machine.
I haven't been able to successfully create one video since May with this latest update. Only way I managed to was to reinstall old version.... but I wouldn't want to get sued now would I ??!?!

Perfect way to screw your customers... put out a crap product then don't let them revert back to the old product that works. I had less issues with my hacked software. I bought this crap to be legal and honest.

I could use the $58 a month for other crap that works.

Trying to learn DaVinci too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2019 Jun 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ANSWER FROM ADOBE THAT WORKED... kind of... I have been instructed by an Adobe Tech to copy all media (Graphics, Audio, Footage) onto my internal drive on my computer, relink the files, then export.  It worked for me on a small test but won't work for much in the future because we have a 300TB SAN and only 1TB internal drive.  It's ridiculous that they are telling me that it will only work on internal drives???  For me it is an issue with PNGs and JPGs not rendering currently even though if you see in the error window it shows the error coming from "Camera 6".  The only work around that I found that work without copying media was to turn off all PNGs and graphics, export a "Clean" file and then import that into Premiere and place the same graphics over the new export and then it works fine.... Stupid.  I have an active ticket with Adobe because those "solutions" aren't good enough.  We don't pay $$$ for the software to have it perform like this.  I will post any updates or solutions I find.  Screen Shot 2019-06-30 at 10.17.56 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for post. I have no choice but to try this.

Even if it does work, this is an entirely unacceptable situation from Adobe.

Pressing on. Thanks for the tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHEN IS ADOBE GOING TO FIX THIS ISSUE??  FOR WHAT I PAY EACH MONTH, I DON'T HAVE THE TIME TO CONTINUOUSLY TROUBLE SHOOT BROKEN SOFTWARE.  ADOBE!!!  FIX IT!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 08, 2019 Jul 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seeing this issue when exporting to ProRes 422. Workaround is to set sequence previews to DNX, but still export PR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 10, 2019 Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I offer a reminder that I have exactly the same errors, but I'm not exporting anything and I'm not (knowingly) using ProRes 422 (everything is H264 4.2.0).

I see the problem pop up after the program has been in constant use for about 6 hours, and shutting down and restarting sorts it out for another 6 hours or so.

I suspect that, like the export issue, this is a symptom of something deeper that takes my workflow much longer to trigger.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2019 Jul 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same problem from the moment I import any videos into my timeline. Infuriating. Developers need to get this fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still persists in version 13.1.3. No improvement.

Looking forward to a client review session later where I'll be closing and re-opening projects every 5 minutes. Filed another bug report and hoping someone is listening. Get this fixed Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2019 Aug 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue.  I'm simply trying to edit a video recorded in Snagit. Initially, Premiere Pro added large green and purple bands on the lower half of my video and kept crashing every 2-3 minutes giving me an error message that my graphic card needed to be updated.  According to HP and Microsoft my graphics card was updated, but I went ahead and applied the graphic card driver update that Adobe suggested.  I'm now receiving the 'Error retrieving frame ____' message. I am by no means an expert at Adobe products. I simply use Premiere Pro to cut out unwanted content in clips and add PNG files, nothing complicated, but I can't do anything now and have missed my product release date. 

I've already tried editing the files from both internal and external drives with no luck. 

Very frustrating and extremely costly to my business.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using video from an Canon XF100 and I am having the same problems with Premier CC 2018 and 2019 with same error messages from MXF files. When I import the same file into Final Cut X no problems. Its only occurs  where the camera has placed two files in the same same canon folder. When you mention the Canon Utility which one is it?  This is crazy that Adobe can't fix this issue. For the amount of money we pay in subscription fees this be fixed quickly. As I do a lot of documentary work I can't afford to have this happen. Final Cut X is looking pretty good. IS any one else having same problem with files from a Canon XF100?

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2019 Aug 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this been resolved yet by Adobe?  I just completed a shoot today - and am entering the post-production phase of my project.  Since Adobe continues to have this footage import issue - I have made more time on the schedule to trouble-shoot broken software that no longer performs as it has in the past.  I've always been a strong supporter of the Adobe Suite, but unfortunately I think those days may be numbered....  Fix it now, people.  The mass migration is about to happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2019 Sep 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As soon as I can get away from Adobe, I am leaving. This constant "Frame substitution recursion attempt" error is finally pushing me to figure out how to get away from Premiere and finally try DaVince or even FCP. I keep getting this error on many of my projects after I think my project if finished and ready to go.  I edit music videos and I find this error happens a lot whenever I do quick, flashy cuts. Everything will run fine if the clips don't have any quick, short cuts, but once there's a point where I want the video to transition and I cut a clip into small parts for a flashy effect, it starts freezing up on those spots and then I'll get this "Frame Substitution recursion attampt aborting" message along with the "Error retrivine fram 1 at time, blah blah blah".  

Premiere Pro used to work so smoothly for me. Of course it was never without it's little problems, but it was still workable. I have been trying to finish up a final draft for a client this evening that should have been done hours ago when I thought it was all ready to export. But once I render everything to watch it through, I get this message in certain parts and I just want to pull my hair out!!!!! 

The way I've gotten passed it is......... I take the same clip that I'm getting the error on, and I replace it with the matching raw clip and then add all my same treatment to the new clip. So it's like I removed the old damaged one and replaced it on the timeline with a fresh new one.  After I add my treatments on the new clip, I render it for smooth playback and it usually will play back fine. But tonight I've just had enough!!  I can't watch my whole 4 minute clip back without getting 10-20 of these errors, whever I do detailed quick cuts.  So I have to top and replace all those little cut-up clips and replace them with fresh ones and it's just time consuming and frustrating.

Adobe........ if you're listening or reading these comments...........you have to do something about this!!! It's obviously been a problem for a lot of people and I just can't understand how you can keep letting it happen. If you can't do anything about I will soon start considering Premiere worthless and will figure out a way to stop paying every month for a program that I'm wasting WAY too much time with.  Trust me, I'm already working on getting out.  This has been the last straw.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2019 Sep 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This error is happening to me too now with Prores proxies generated by Premiere. Reding thouth htis thread it doesnt seem there is a reasonable solution. I can't remember the last time I started a Premiere Pro job and didn't have to spend the first day or so ironing out bugs. The last time, it was a small project so I switched over to Resolve and finished the job in less time I had spent fixing Premiere. I'm going to have to do it with this project too. Then that's it, I'm switching to Resolve full time. Its not without its quirks but at least it can display footage, something Premiere is struggling to do right now.

I've used Premiere since it was first released but all this downtime is just not sustainable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2019 Nov 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been getting the same issue with PP 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been able to resolve the problem relating to an error at frame 0 when adding clips to timeline. I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but I'm getting the error no matter where the footage is located on any drive. For me, it seems to have issue with proxy folders. If I remove the proxy folder from where the clips are, can import them and dragged to the timeline without the error. Then, I can move the proxy folder back to the clips folder, toggle proxies, and everything works like normal! Try it! Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated my built-in video card driver and this error disappeared. Previously, this error appeared for no reason. Try it, it might work in your case, good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2019 Dec 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having both the Missing Frame 0 error and others.  RED Error Triangles everywhere!  All I did to resolve all the errors was uncheck the "Enable Hardware Accelerated Decoder"(requires restart)."  You get to the setting by EDIT>PREFERENCES>MEDIA

I have Premier 2020 - ASUS Zenbook  with I9 8th gen with GEFORCE GTX.  

I hope this works for everyone. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked fine for me.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to say I've been getting this issue when using Speed/Duration to accelerate parts of my videos.

Fixed it by going to File->Project Settings->General

And then under General->Video Rendering and Playback:

Change the Renderer to "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only"

Which SUCKS, because I have a GTX 1080 and shouldn't have to sacrifice performance for something that is clearly a bug on Adobe/Nvidia's end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines