• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Essential Graphics Panel vs. Title Tool (Titler)

Contributor ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to Premiere 2017.1 and have been introduced to the new "Essential Graphics" panel (EGP) and Title tool.

As of right now, I am both excited and frustrated.  I'm excited that this will allow for creating graphic presets in After Effects and creating some really great animated titles.  I also like the fact that when you add a Photoshop file, the transparency actually works (something that was SO frustrating about the original titler. You could add a "logo," but alpha channels or Photoshop transparency was ignored. Was all based on luminance).

HOWEVER, this is where it ends... currently. This is said, knowing full-well that the original titler tool is still available.

I am having real difficulty with a few things:

- This was not phased in.  Went to quickly create new title in a project by pressing CTRL+T and discovered a surprising, but not necessarily pleasant result of a strange box appearing over my video in my source monitor... Only to finally discover this was part of the new EGP.

- Rolling / scrolling titles:  How does one create them in this new workflow?

- Many of the title styling options are missing.

- How do you apply gradient colors to fonts?

- Drop shadows are missing "size (density)" option.  They have "angle," "distance," and "spread (blur)" only.

- No ability to place to change stroke from  "inner" or "outer."

- No ability to add sheen or texture

- Can't double-click on select box to switch back to editing text (convenience feature).

- When you create a title with the new "titler," it does not place anything in the bin.  This will make organizing reused titles quite difficult to locate and modify. There needs be a way to show all titles available within a project.

I could potentially see getting rid of the old title tool, if some of these issues were addressed.

If there are ANY insights to this new "feature," I would greatly appreciate.  Have not been able to find ANY comprehensive tutorials on the Adobe website for these above items.

Thanks!

-Todd

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Hi -

I run the team that wrote the new Graphic features. Thanks for the feedback and know that we do read these and factor them into our plans.

1.) We did not remove the Legacy Titler so if there are features that you need from it, it is still available. We did remap the default shortcut (cmd-T) for new Title to create a new Text Layer, but you can still create a Legacy Title using File->New->Legacy Title.

2.) Automatic roll creation did not make it into this release. You can set keyframes on indiv

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

For those wishing to create Text Gradients right inside Premiere Pro's Program Monitor without needing the Legacy Titler, we're happy to announce the implementation of Text Gradients as of the latest public release of PrPro 15.2. Please try it out when you can and let us know what you think.

For information about how to apply Text Gradients as well as a couple of short how-to videos, go to this link:
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/text-gradient.ug.html
Here is a snapshot of a Text Grad

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 175 Replies 175
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to do an ends credit crawl with three o more inserted graphics or png logos and youll be in the hell... no way to attach logos to moving crawl, if you move general position of text clip all text and logos will be cut, no link or group options for layers on Graphics panels, copy paste atributes doesnt work caue your logos will be moved accord to text initial position,,,

i appreciate the effort but this feature needs a big improve.

And no... I DONT LIKE AFTER as an individual software.... adobe should merge after into premiere as a single software!  ( NO... dynamic link is not the same) think about how Fxhome works and the way Davinci resolve is taking, Even Nuke has its own editor!... natron will be next ..... adobe   After and premiere shoud be a single software time ago!

Sorry for my english

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no way to take a truly massive program like Ae and drop it 'into' a simply very large program like PrPro ... without creating something that is so huge that few computers run it. The howls from those complaining their gear isn't adequate would be incredible. Plus Ae is used by at TON of people that never work in PrPro.

Improving the link between Ae & PrPro is something they do work on.

And the EGP is getting some new functions as they move forward. I'm pleased they released it as-was, as it does give some cool new things to do, though I don't think 'demoting' the Legacy Titler was the proper way to handle that tool.

I used to use the 'Direct Link' between PrPro & SpeedGrade a lot ... that particular functionality was great.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2017 Jul 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no way to take a truly massive program like Ae and drop it 'into' a simply very large program like PrPro ... without creating something that is so huge that few computers run it. The howls from those complaining their gear isn't adequate would be incredible. Plus Ae is used by at TON of people that never work in PrPro.

Why not?.... Fxhome Does it!,  Nuke studio too!... Davinci is now an Editor!.... and the computers Doesnt Explode!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adriandirector  wrote

And no... I DONT LIKE AFTER as an individual software.... adobe should merge after into premiere as a single software!  ( NO... dynamic link is not the same) think about how Fxhome works and the way Davinci resolve is taking, Even Nuke has its own editor!... natron will be next ..... adobe   After and premiere shoud be a single software time ago!

tumblr_mvzqfw2VzU1r7vt2no1_400.gif

That's the most ridiculous thing I've read in a long time. You do realise that Adobe only created PP and not AE, I'm not sure if they were even constructed with the same coding.

Nuke is a compositing software, PP is video editing, and AE is a whole host of things, do not compare them as they couldn't be any more different to each other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nexahs1138  That's the most ridiculous thing I've read in a long time. You do realise that Adobe only created PP and not AE, I'm not sure if they were even constructed with the same coding.

Nuke is a compositing software, PP is video editing, and AE is a whole host of things, do not compare them as they couldn't be any more different to each other.

Why not compare? NUKESTUDIO is a compositing software and Now has a VIDEO EDITOR!

FXhome Is Compositing and EDITOR

Davinci is now an EDITOR !!!!

Adobe could keep both programs individuals but thing on a Merge software too... i dont see any problem with a TAB on premiere to connect with a AE UI and not run two software and eat all your ram.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Um ... Resolve was a massive program before adding in the editing module and now in 14, the sound module. It's even bigger now. They make no claims about that running properly on anything less than a massively built computer, and many of the Mac-centric colorist crowd are having to leave their beloved Macs behind as they just can't get enough oomph out of the biggest Mac to run it well ... they're moving to PC or often, dual-boot PC/Linux rigs.

And remember, the editing module in Resolve doesn't have 1/10th the stuff that PrPro has! It's a ton smaller. Comparatively, it's a colorist/grading app (par excellence ...) with an editing ​capability.

Many of the complaints of the PrPro base are about it needing so much hardware to play properly ... and you're suggesting doing something that would substantially up the subsystem load, and therefore ... kick the lower function hardware out sooner.

AfterEffects is dang near as big a load as Resolve ... and you want to build Ae into PrPro ... no, I can't agree, I don't see any benefit to it, and many, many drawbacks.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 07, 2017 Jul 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adriandirector  wrote

Nexahs1138   That's the most ridiculous thing I've read in a long time. You do realise that Adobe only created PP and not AE, I'm not sure if they were even constructed with the same coding.

Why not compare? NUKESTUDIO is a compositing software and Now has a VIDEO EDITOR!

FXhome Is Compositing and EDITOR

Davinci is now an EDITOR !!!!

Adobe could keep both programs individuals but thing on a Merge software too... i dont see any problem with a TAB on premiere to connect with a AE UI and not run two software and eat all your ram.

Nuke was built from the ground up by The Foundry, much the same as Premiere Pro was by Adobe, whereas After Effects was built by a different company that is now licensed to Adobe. The Foundry built Nuke and added an editor to it specifically for Nuke. I'm no engineer but I don't think the two apps are even built using the same system.

There is no need for AE and PP to be merged as they are two completely different programmes, the only one asking for this is you but you don't seem to understand the complexity of this. It would require a massive overhaul, a complete change of the UI and the operating system, not to mention the keyboard shortcuts. I use both apps and I wouldn't want them merged in the slightest, I also use Nuke, Mari, Photoshop, Toon Boom, Maya, Animate, InDesign, Illustrator, and Audition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the new titler...but wow is it terribly un-intuitive!!!!!

As far as selecting 'layer' elements and selecting the entire graphic..I can't even describe the process to my students...one time you use the selection tool to click on the canvas then other times you have to select the layer

• trying to figure out the transform / motion commands is hopeless...you think you are adjusting one item but an entirely different layer item is effected

• once you use the motion parameter on the 'graphic' it appears to throw anchor reference point of the characters in the layers total askew

It has to be one of most confusing items I have encountered in any adobe product

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to go through several video tutorials before I started understanding the EGP. It's so different than anything before.

But ... they did have a reason why motion items and a few other things are controlled via ECP, and why the parameters controlled in the EGP itself ... are.

It takes understanding that separation of controls before it becomes fluid. Plus it needs at least the next release before it gets enough "tools" for most work. Although it actually does more now than I think a lot of users understand.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep abreast of this thread and issue to see if anything positive comes along, but alas, I have stopped using PP. Now I use Davinci.

I keep hoping something positive will come about as I have the CC and it now seems a waste to have the CC for one maybe two products. the only thing I use and still works is lightroom and illustrator -- once in a while after effects, but...

Apps that are having troubles or not what they should be that I used to use are: Dreamweaver, Indesign, PP, Photoshop.

please tell me the people involved who rolled this out the way they did got a time out for their actions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 29, 2017 Jun 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not like one is forced to move to the latest version. Over the years most new versions fails to satisfy everybody at the early stages. So one does not rush to use it fully if you are seriously on a project. I use CS6, CC 2015 and CC 2017 that is 3 versions and have the option of jumping to the stable one when I run into a jam. Luckily in the latest 2017 all the old tools are there so basically there is no change to the workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2017 Jun 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bisa Goma  If you would have read the entire thread you would have seen that my major complaint was how this was ROLLED OUT.

NO notification of any major changes, just that "PP has an update."

And before you go off on that. keep in mind that some of us are daily working editors with deadlines and we do not have the time to complain (like I am), let alone read -- if there was anything to read -- about the changes an update has and how it will affect our workflow.

We assumed, thought, and hoped that Adobe had our back.  "They (adobe) won't throw us under the bus with a major change that changes our workflow without prior warning and incremental changes."

Then my next gripe was: I now have no confidence or trust in the adobe development teams because they did, and not only without thought but without care. Which is now why I am using Davinci.

So please, before you mention that we should not have updated, read the thread before you enter a conversation you know nothing about!

this is byers-video on a different account because I get an error after logging in. [System error ]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 01, 2017 Jul 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What sort of daily editor with deadlines does an update to a software where there is potential to be bugs and such? Sounds like you're just whining for the hell of it, come on, Adobe post a thread about the new updates as well as email everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 30, 2017 Jun 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"So please, before you mention that we should not have updated, read the thread before you enter a conversation you know nothing about!"

I am among the early contributors to this topic. I saw that you are very bitter over nothing big as is always like that.

I am telling you a fact from my 20+ experience with Adobe Premiere. Once you have deadlines you do not rush to update if you

have a good workflow stick with it and gradually move to the new one. I am very sorry for my comments if it cause you any additional grief.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 09, 2017 Jul 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Getting back to the original post and the Essential Graphics panel, I'm not sure if I missed this and it's a small thing, so I'd rather not create a whole new thread for it. When I use EG to create a master style for text, does that only apply to the current project? How do I create a style that's accessible to all of my projects (just like legacy title styles)? I'm currently on the latest version of PP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFIR you can drag a graphic to the project panel, then from there include it in your CC Library.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 10, 2017 Jul 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can drag a graphic to the project panel, then from there include it in your CC Library.

That actually doesn't work.  Had to save the graphic as a Template.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huh. Thought I'd done that .... seeming apparently  ... sheesh!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hyperphonics: See how to save a graphic as a Master Graphics template in this tutorial (scroll down to find that heading): Create title graphics

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I had already seen that link but I thought I was missing something because I could have sworn there was a way of any master styles you create just being available for other projects without having to go into templates. Guess not lol Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we no longer save titles as templates?

The tutorial you linked to says

Export a Motion Graphics Template

Select a title clip in your sequence. Select Graphics > Export As Motion Graphics Template from the main menu.

I selected the title on my timeline, but that option is disabled. This seems to be because I have a title selected and not a "graphic" made with the Type Tool ... the Lynda.com tutorial I'm trying to follow says to choose Templates from the Title menu. Of course, there is no Title menu anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope ... that was removed as of the first 2017 release. I think prematurely, but ... the suggestion is to keep an earlier build of PrPro on your machine, create the Titler templates you need in a project for that in the earlier build. When you need to apply in a newer build, use the Media browser to navigate to that project file, import the template.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like the Lynda training info is referring to the Templates UI within the Legacy Title Designer and/or Titles menu, which is now a legacy workflow. Also, the Templates menu itself is no lpnger there at all inside the Titler, as Neil said.

Also, as you noticed, the "Titles" menu is now "Graphics" (as of Pr 11.1 or higher). It contains, among other things, a choice to "Export as Motion Graphics Template..." (MOGRT) which will be active if a Graphic clip is selected in the timeline. Also, you can right click on a Graphic in the timeline and see the same 'Export as MOGRT' option. Otherwise, the option will be greyed out because it only works for one selected Graphic at a time, not Legacy Titles, other media, or multiple track items at once.

It looks like part of the confusion is that the Lynda material is using "title clip" in reference to a Graphic clip in the timeline (track item). The term 'title' is still correct in a generic sense (Graphics tools can be used to make titles, and other things) but it causes confusion with the older Legacy Title tools which are still in Pr as of 12.0.1 but will probably go away at some point. That is good feedback to send to the Lynda.com editors if possible. I have no more direct contact with them than any other public user would but feel free to point them to this thread, and/or quote me if needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just needed to put my two cents in.  Until the new version of any upgrade is rolled out I really believe it needs to handle all the properties of the older version.  We choose an editor like Premiere because we need all the options to make our videos, titles, whatever new and creative.  We don't want template fonts and effects.  This new mode of upgrading things to be easier and one button is great for weekend warriors, but for a true video artist you need the options, so your work stands out.  And you don't want to spend time searching the web to see where an effect has gone.  We have to work, not search.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree but apparently this board is never monitored by Adobe staff so this is all falling on deaf ears.  They're too busy trying to destroy what was a professional piece of software and grab the "weekend warriors" away from Final Cut (i-movie in disguise). More wizards, templates, and "auto" this and that coming I fear.  Adobe are obviously adopting the Apple POV where all video looks the same and all audio sounds the same - time to lose the word "Creative" from the suite name I fear.

Needed to get that off my chest!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines