• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

exportAsProject Function

New Here ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm an avid applescripter and I was disappointed to learn that Premiere Pro doesn't support applescript to the same extent many of the other Adobe products do. After digging around a lot, i finally found some mention of scripting Premiere Pro with ExtendScript. After several hours I've found mention after mention of the lack of documentation/support for this development. How frustrating! I've found the samples at github, and they do help, but what if what i want to do is not in there?!

Anyway, what I would like to do is export my Bins as new projects. I can't seem to find any documentation that illustrates how to do this. In the samples, I found app.project.activeSequence.exportAsProject(completeOutputPath); but that's for the activeSequence. Trying something like this... rootItem.children.exportAsProject(completeOutputPath); fails. I'm not even sure how to look up the answer to this question and it's ever so frustrating.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears as though I've found the answer, which appears to be that I can't use the function exportAsProject() with anything except a sequence. Which leads me to believe the only way to accomplish what i'm trying to do is to open and close the main project several times, deleting all the Bins I don't want and doing a "Save as" each time. Definitely not the most efficient use of time. If anyone knows of a better approach, i would really love to hear about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ThrowBackDewd  wrote

After several hours I've found mention after mention of the lack of documentation/support for this development. How frustrating!

Let me channel Bruce Bullis​​ a bit here:

"There are hundreds of panels in use today, developed with zero documentation, but it could certainly  be easier."

That out of the way, let's take a look at the problem.

ThrowBackDewd  wrote

Anyway, what I would like to do is export my Bins as new projects. I can't seem to find any documentation that illustrates how to do this.

I'm not aware of a Premiere Pro API that will do exactly what you want. If you would like to see an API to do that, start a thread describing your goal and label it as a Feature Request. (I personally like to name such threads with something like "[Feature Request] API to ...")

However, it may be possible for you to achieve what you want with a little extra work. I've not tried this myself, but the following may work for you:

1. Use the Project.exportFinalCutProXML() function to effectively save the current project as an XML file (Premiere Pro understands the Final Cut Pro XML version 4 format [this is the spec, I think]).
  2. Open the file exported by that function and process it using ExtendScript's E4X APIs (there is documentation in the ExtendScript Toolkit's Object Model Viewer).
  3. Save the adjusted XML file.
  4. Open the adjusted FCP XML file in Premiere.

The above would all, of course, be written in the ExtendScript context.

I hope this is helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nice impersonation, Eric.

what if what i want to do is not in there?!

Ask here.

David, you say you want to export bins; why bins? Are you trusting the user to have organized their project according to some set of rules? Or are you managing bin usage, from within your panel?

PProPanel shows how to export a sequence (with constituent media) into a new .prproj; would that get you most of what you want?

Walk me through the workflow(s) you'd like to support, from the user's perspective, and I can provide better guidance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines