• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting DCP with Wraptor in Premiere - incorrect file size estimates doesn't matter

New Here ,
Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When exporting a DCP with Wraptor DCP on a Mac with standard setting for 2K, 250 Mbps file sizes estimates are most often over 1T. This is obviously not correct. Don't worry about that. It's been a bug for a very long time but doesn't effect final results.

What makes it more confusing is that you are likely to expect a 100-200 G final DCP folder size. What you are getting with Wraptor instead is 15-25G. This is OK. Wraptor DCP isn't perfect and not sure it cranks out the 250 Mbps it promises but the final file looks good. Even great.

Wraptor is using an algorithm that can produce much smaller files than many other products. That's OK, and it looks good.

The export on my iMac to external drive with Thunderbolt took a little over 3 hours for 1.5 hour film with stereo.

You want to check your final file before you send - one easy and free way to do it is easyDCP Player. Step through your film, make sure it is full length, ie from start to finish of the film.

Now, if you are on a Mac like me you most likely still have to deliver a file on a Windows / Linux formatted drive. That can be a pain. My suggested solution is to take your drive or USB to a Windows machine and format it exFat. You will have a few options NTSF (Macs can't write to this so forget), Fat32 (Won't accept more than 4G files so forget) and exFAT (will work, so chose that). Now you can use with

Lastly, the above  works and don't get stuck with Adobe Help trying to send you on a bug request. It's an old bug, and great if they solve it. But it isn't critical for you once you know to ignore. DCP is set up to be complicated and hard on purpose, don't give up and you can deliver your feature film to big theaters for almost nothing. And you have more money over to make the next film, and the underbelly of Hollywood have less money to spend on marketing for the next super hero blockbuster. Everyone wins.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much. I have been having headaches over this issue today exporting a documentary for CPH:DOX 2022. Now I feel more safe in trusting that the film won't look like crap in the theater:-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  It is amazing that they do not mention this anywhere but here.  It is also amazing that they are able to render quality images at such a high compression rate.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great review, a life saver! Thank you 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines