Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Extremely underwhelming Performance on Mac Pro 2019

Contributor ,
Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

so I got my new 16 Core, Vega II Mac Pro and was super excited for the huge performance gains that I was expecting to see for my daily work with Premiere... until I did some tests to see the actual speed and to compare it with Apple Compressor.

To call the results underwhelming is even some sort of understatement.

I took four different kinds of footage and just wanted to see how quickly media encoder could transcode them to ProRes 422 HQ.

ProRes 422 4k Clip: Media Encoder: 14:03 min /// Compressor: 01:15 min

ProRes 422 2k Clip: Media Encoder: 00:08 min /// Compressor: 00:25 min

Sony 4k MXF Clip: Media Encoder: 05:06 min /// Compressor: 00:57 min

GoPro 4k Clip: Media Encoder: 08:58 min /// Compressor: 01:32 min

Seriously how is this even possible? I was monitoring the CPU usage and Media encoder used maybe 30% of the power available, while Compressor maxed it out completely, as it should be!

Maybe it's because the Adobe suite isn't optimized yet, but given my past experience, I have very little hope for that to change, EVER. 

Besides these actual speed comparisons, don't even get me started about the laggy UI within Premiere's timeline in comparison the FCP X. 

I was hoping this problem would go away with the 32gb VRAM, but no, it just got a littttttle bit better, but is still pretty darn annoying.

I'm using a Dell 5k Display.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Participant , Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

Are you using Premiere Pro 2020? If so, can you test encoding times in 2019? Are you using any encoding settings like "Max bit depth" in Premiere? 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

I suggest going over to UserVoice and upvoting some of the performance based messages. The Adobe engineers keep a record of those postings. Here's one with the most votes already, you can also use the search button bottom right to find other useful topics to upvote:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/33849256-making-better-use-of-the-hardware-gpu-for-playbac

If you find a good thread, or of last choice you create a new one (consider just replying to an exi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Ben,

Sorry. You say your issue is related to slower performance on a 2019 MacPro. What kind of footage are you editing? These Mac Pros do have an Achilles heel when it comes to handling popular footage types. The 2019 Mac Pros with Xeon processors may be at the heart of the matter. Xeon CPUs do not do well with H.264 footage, especially 4K or larger. These Mac Pros are more suited for a ProRes workflow like transcoding or using ProRes proxies. 

You need Mac with an Intel processor with an iGPU to have a CPU that uses "Quick Sync," which tears through H.264 and HEVC footage much more effectively. You can also look into the newer Macs and how they work with those formats.

My Xeon CPU workflow advice is to transcode or create proxies. You might also consider getting different hardware if you wish to natively cut H.264 and HEVC.

Thanks,.
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines