Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FAQ: Editing Terminology and Getting Help with Premiere Pro

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AdobeStock_363864907.jpegHi Community,

Not to be pedantic, but a quick aside about editing terminology might be in order as I've seen a lot of misuses of those terms lately. Using the proper editing terminology is essential in video editing and motion graphics, especially when collaborating with others. That said, it's not always easy to do if you are new to the profession or don't have the words to describe your problem.  

When presenting your issue, try to use the correct terms if at all possible. Otherwise, it will probably confuse others trying to help. Refer to the User Guide for terminology and do so frequently, if you have the time. 

I emphasized calling operations, techniques, and UI terms by their correct names when teaching editing classes. It takes time, and that's OK; it's an ongoing process for everyone. Me too. If you have never done so, write down terms you are unclear on and do a little research in the User Guide in your spare time. You can also ask here so you can be clear when asking questions.

It makes life easier for you because you will be better understood when asking for help.

For example, one term that is bandied about is Import. Some editors use the words import and edit interchangeably. That is incorrect. The correct terminology is to edit a clip into the timeline. One does not import a clip into the timeline; one imports a clip into a bin in the Project panel

One can go too far with all this, of course, as well. For example, the Settings menu in the Program Monitor and the Timeline Settings Menu are often called "Wrench" menus, even though that was never the official name. As long as you are easily understood, that is the bottom line. 

I hope the advice helps. Come back with any questions.

Resources:
Virtual Production Glossary
Terminology changes in Premiere Pro, After Effects, and Audition

Premiere Elements glossary (helpful for Premiere Pro too)

TOPICS
FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the word Download falls in the same category.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ann,

Download and Import are used interchangeably, you mean?

Thanks!
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Download clip into Premiere or timeline for that matter. See this often.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Ann,

Download clip into Premiere or timeline, for that matter. See this often.

Thanks for clueing me in on that. I just found a post where the editor said "download" but meant export. This helps me understand what problems people are having. 

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines