• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Getting a clean mov export for Davinci Resolve from Premiere CS6.

Aug 08, 2012 Aug 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,  I'm using Premiere SC6 on windows 7, 64bit with m2t HDV video files.  I've tried every export codec but when I import the exported file back into Premiere, and compare it with the original, there is always some quality loss.  I'm just wondering what other people are doing about getting a decent export?

Thanks for any help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 10, 2012 Aug 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those Photoshop results tell a very different story about the "degradation" you're seeing.  The most likely explanation here is that PP just isn't showing you the images perfectly accurately (something I've been saying for a long time) and there's nothing actually degraded about the Uncompressed file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's looking that way Jim, in which case that's good news.  Interestingly that DNxHD file which looks perfect in Resolve looks poor when taken straight back into Premiere.  I'll test that AVI in some other apps.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Jim. Sometimes what you see in the Premiere program monitor has to be taken as a grain of salt. Too many factors affect the realtime preview. Follow Harm Millaard's advice on players but here's another tip: you may also bring the AVI into Premiere, load it up in the Source Monitor and turn on the scopes. Compare the readings with the scopes on the Program Monitor. Much better than trusting your own eyes.

Also, if you plan on using DNxHD as an intermediate codec in Windows, others have recommended 10-bit RGB color space when exporting to Resolve. Just be careful with gamma shifts. Again, if in doubt, use the scopes.

All in all, if quality is your priority and you need the roundtrip through Resolve, you should consider making changes to your workflow. Media Encoder could be your savior.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try changing the MPE mode to Software MPE and delete the previews. Save the project and close down Premiere. Re-open Premiere and load a project file again. Import the DNxHD file that you exported from Resolve and see if the shifts are there or not.

Eric

ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg Baber wrote:

We are always looking at which codecs people are using and which we should include. 

Hint Hint works alot better here -- https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Considering Cinema DNG is an Adobe initiative, I am real suprised this is not already on thhe list

Eric

ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Considering Cinema DNG is an Adobe initiative, I am real suprised this is not already on thhe list

Right?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2012 Aug 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

transcendental, a couple of questions come to mind:

Is your footage:

1) shot progressive or interlaced?

2) captured from HDV tape or ingested from memory cards? (if captured, it could be interpreted as interlaced when it's really not)

3) matching your sequence settings? (program monitor may not show inconsistencies, but an export will)

If what you mean by quality loss is that little blur we see in the screenshots, I think your problem has nothing to do with the codec used. It might be caused by field dominance not being interpreted correctly, a field-order mismatch between footage and sequence, or stretching from anamorphic HDV to full-frame HD.

--------------

Neil Bastin

Post-Production Director

Jam Media Producers, Inc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 09, 2012 Aug 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S. Looks like the gamma is shifting as well.

Echoing the suggestion to check field dominance, and also to create DPX files if they're going into Resolve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil.

1) and 2) It's 1080i from a 1440x1080 HDV tape. The camera (Canon XH-A1) definitely records interlaced.

3) The sequence is set to 1080i25 (50i).

Regarding the AVI export, I have tried all the variations I can think of.  Importing into After Effects and comparing gives the same result as comparing in Premiere, i.e. the AVI export is inferior.  Progressive and Interlaced look slightly different, but I would say that neither is better.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines