• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Getting Display Name Of Clip In Sequence?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2017 Mar 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know if there is a way to access the name of a clip in a specific sequence? I'm looking for the name that is displayed, not necessarily the projectItem name.

In Premiere you can right click on a clip in a sequence and rename the instance of that clip, but not have that actually rename the source item's name in the project.

I'm looking for a way to view the renamed clip's name (and potentially modify it)

I know I can get the source name of a clip with something like this:

app.project.activeSequence.videoTracks[0].clips[0].projectItem.name;

But that won't give me the renamed name.

Has anyone come across this before? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 27, 2017 Mar 27, 2017

PProPanel's randomizeSequenceSelection() gets the clip's name, without using QE DOM.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2017 Mar 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will get a clip name:

app.enableQE();

qe.project.init();  // This will clear out any qe objects so make sure you know when to call it

var qeseq = qe.project.getActiveSequence();

var vTrack = qeseq.getVideoTrackAt(0);  // Assumes you have clips in the first video track

var item = vTrack.getItemAt(0);  // Assumes you have clips in the first video track

$.writeln(item.name);

But make sure you know the pitfalls of qe

The magic sauce is the init() function.  But like I said, any qe based objects will be invalid after calling that function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 27, 2017 Mar 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PProPanel's randomizeSequenceSelection() gets the clip's name, without using QE DOM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bruce and Geordiem!

Bruce, does this method not just get the clip's source name? Not the renamed name. I've looked into that method and I can only ever get the name that shows up in the project panel.

For example let's say I have a file "MOV_0002" and if I were to rename just a single instance of that clip in a timeline to "VFX 010", it doesn't change the source name of the file in the project, just that instance of the clip in the timeline. But when I run your suggested method I can only ever get access to the source name "MOV_0002", I can't get access to wherever it stores "VFX 010".

Am I doing something wrong? Or is the QE method the only solution right now?

Thanks a bunch folks, you are all very helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oddly enough, the QE DOM method is the only way to access the clip name, today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines