• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Got Color Balance Issue

Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2021 Jul 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have this recurring problem that has virtually stopped my editing.

Some color effects have just gone from my Premiere Pro 2021, which are Color Balance, Fast Color Corrector and Three-Way Color Corrector. Until last week, I had no trouble finding and using them in Premiere Pro 2021. 
But, they are not found anymore in the Effects panel. Other color effects are still searchable and usable. It's just the three effects, Color Balance, Fast Color Corrector and Three-Way Color Corrector that are not in my Premiere Pro 2021. Some of my works done with the three effects now show a certain message saying something like, "Color Balance filter is not searchable."
I'd really appreciate it if someone can help me with my problem. 
Thank you

TOPICS
Crash , Editing , Effects and Titles , Error or problem , Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

The first thing is first. Thank you, Rohit, the ADOBE agent I've talked to, for the help you gave me. Now I can have everything I need.

Last week, I don't know why or how, but, the three effects, Color Balance, Fast Color Corrector and Three-Way Color Corrector, all disappeared from my Premiere Pro 2021's effects panel. And everytime I'd try to open a project done with one of the three effects, it gives me a message saying, "Video Filter Missing: Color Balance (RGB), (HLS)" and, in the effect co

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry about the poor experience. The latest version of Premiere Pro would still allow to apply these effects. Please search under Effects panel > Video Effects > Obsolete & let us know if you are able to find these three effects. Also, please share a screenshot of the error message that you are getting with the old projects where the effects have been applied.

Thanks,

Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I'm attaching two screenshots; one is the message and the other is the screenshot of the effect controls panel of my previous project done with Color Balance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also experiencing the same issue and the only way to solve this is to install PP 15.0. I find it very bothersome to have two versions of the same software just because I am missing some features on each version. I now understand why a lot of people have been switching to FCP or DaVinci Resolve (free!).

I am also thinking to transition to DaVinci this summer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, harjotsingk,

Sorry. While I can't bring these effects back from the grave, there is one alternative you might want to explore. Create MOGRT files containing these effects in After Effects so that the effects you were missing will again be available via MOGRTs using the After Effects engine. Let me know if you need help with that. 

I'm not fond of DaVinci much. I can't get into it! Maybe it's just me? Good luck with everything.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which specific effects were you using, and to do what?

I ask beause of wanting to help anyone move forward with better color work. Any task or need you have, I can probably be of assistance as to how to quickly and effectively do that without using the old tools.

There actually are very good reasons why the old color effects are being removed.

For example, several are only 8-bit effects. Use them, and no matter the original file bit-depth, you now have an 8-bit file, prone to banding/noise/macroblocking.

Plus, the quality of any color/tonal tool depends upon the math used by that tool. And a couple of the "obsolete" tools have unfortunately rather poor math involved, and can mangle your data with the right combination of settings. I've seen a few colorist's demonstrate how "off" the math is, and yea, it ain't good. Which is why those effects are on the chopping block.

I've also seen a lot of bunk about "how terribly" the Lumetri controls function. By people that don't really seem to understand what the tools actually do, and how to use them against each other correctly. Which is what you do with any serious color/grading tools.

There are some limits placed on some of the Lumetri tools by the design of the original intent, which is to keep from losing image data. This is why they 'roll-off' several of the controls at the ends of the scale. To keep that data recoverable in later steps if you need to.

You just need to understand how that works to make it work as you need.

And in most cases, the Lumetri tools actually apply much better math than the previous color controls of Fast, 3-Way, and the others.

Any questions or queries, I'd be happy to help with. I'm a contributing author over at MixingLight.com, a pro colorist's subscription teaching site. I teach Premiere color to those working typically in Resolve or Baselight. Including doing things most colorists don't even think you can do in Lumetri or Premiere.

And yes, I'm quite familiar with Resolve and it's very deep and broad color tools. I was even more familiar with SpeedGrade, the old Adobe full grading application. Which I miss terribly at times. Personally, I'd much rather have an updated SpeedGrade than either Lumetri or Resolve.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AnnBens_0-1627731968722.png

When using the search type in one keyword or part of a word, cause you wont find 'color balance filter'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for your reply. But, by Color Balance Filter, I mean that the message, popped up when I opened my previous project done with Color Balance, has the phrase Color Balance Filter. I've already searched for the three effects in the Effects search panel just like you did, but nothing so far. And I've also deleted and reinstalled Premiere Pro 2021 several times so far. And nothing so far.

Here's the picture of my Premiere Pro 2021 effects panel taken via my phone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've talked to one of the agents from the query center. And problem solved. And for anyone who may encounter the same problem as mine, I'll leave another post detailing how I solved with the help of the ADOBE agent. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thing is first. Thank you, Rohit, the ADOBE agent I've talked to, for the help you gave me. Now I can have everything I need.

Last week, I don't know why or how, but, the three effects, Color Balance, Fast Color Corrector and Three-Way Color Corrector, all disappeared from my Premiere Pro 2021's effects panel. And everytime I'd try to open a project done with one of the three effects, it gives me a message saying, "Video Filter Missing: Color Balance (RGB), (HLS)" and, in the effect controls panel, "Filter Offline (Color Balance (HLS))".

So, I've tried to contact an ADOBE agent from the query center. The agent, Rohit, took a moment to give me this address to install a previous version of Premiere Pro 2021: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-,.

Meaning I old had to delete the current Premiere Pro 2021 and install a previous version, Premiere Pro 15.0.

If anyone has the same issue with Premiere Pro as mine, try to delete your current Premiere Pro and install a previous version through the Creative Cloud.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for sharing the solution, it worked and appreciate it 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those are ancient code, and as someone specializing in color, I cannot recommend the use of any of the three of them. And given they are all going away at some point not too far away because of being ancient tools, doubly so.

Neither of Color Balance's two options, HLS or RGB, are shown as 32-bit float effects ... note there is a GPU-acceleratated lego block, but no other. Any application of this effect at that point in processing pulls PrPro out of 32-bit float and into 8-bit per channel ... 256 total levels before you change anything. So you can quickly get into banding issues.

At least Fast and 3-Way correctors are 32-bit and GPU accelerated. However, they are both as noted, 'ancient' code. Which several of my colorist pals have pushed and demonstrated problems in the math used in various places in them. Which I'm assuming is why the developers aren't wasting time fixing them.

The Lumetri panel auto-applies that effect to any selected clip without needing to manually add the effect to a clip. So it is fast to work down a sequence. You stop on a clip, PrPro auto-selects the clip, you simply adjust the controls you need. They're applied, you don't go to any effects bin to grab an effect.

And the math is solid in Lumetri. Plus you can use it with the Tangent panels, Palette's, and Loupedeck tools. Which makes it even faster.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lumetri panel is really slow and the modifications it makes to the colors are arbitrary. Fast color corrector is much faster than lumetri panel and has Lift, gamma, gain like operations in it and the WB tool in fast color corrector is similar to offset in resolve (essential for RAW like WB fixing). It's my go to tool for sure. Much better than lumetri, in my opinion. I really hope that adobe will not take fast color corrector away anytime soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know a colorist who would agree with some of your comments, but I'm sure at least some might. The comment that the color changes it makes are arbitrary ... make me think you simply haven't actually tested it out. It isn't arbitrary, it's totally predictable.

I've a bit of a beef with it as the 'targeted' tonal controls only affect the targeted area a bit more than they do the rest of the scale. So you need to know exactly what each does, and balance say dropping Basic tab Shadow with a slight up-tick on Basic tab Highlights.

But that isn't unusual with color/tonal work. It's similar to making an adjustment to color on any color wheels, Resolve, SpeedGrade, Lumetri ... cool your shadow wheel a touch, you need to warm your mids a bit to keep that from affecting your mids. The difference to me is the targeted controls in Lumetri are a bit less targeted than some others.

The Color Wheels section of the Lumetri panel is pure Lift, Gamma, Gain. I don't have a clue why you'd say they don't have that.

The  HSL curves of the Curves tab give options that nothing in Fast or 3Way can touch.

And in the public beta, they've replaced the old Adobe square RGB curves tool with a wide rectangle, just like the other curves in the HSL Curves section. Which I will forever call the rNeil RGB Curve, as ... I've been arguing for that since 2015 also. Vociferously.

They did a streaming presentation on PrPro that happened on the day the public beta with that rectangle RGB curves came out. Francis Crossman saw I was in the chat, and said "Hey Neil, go check out the new beta release curves ... something you want is in there". Charming that.

Now if they'd get to the other 20 things I want in there, I'd really be happy. Offset among them. The ability to move tabs within Lumeti around to control processing order. To copy a TAB of a Lumetri effect and paste into another. And on ... more and more things I can list.

You are correct that there isn't an offset in Lumetri ... I prefer Offset to Lift in many things. Which is part of why I was so ticked when they discontinued SpeedGrade.

But the ability to map various functions of Lumetri together on a control surface makes it a vastly improved workflow over any other color tool in PrPro. I work normally with a full Tangent Elements panel, but have a Ripple for when I'm away from my desktop.

And I've mapped all sorts of other things to the Element ... graphics work, audio, whatnot. Awesome tool.

As to the WB ... the WB tool in the Basic tab is a typical WB tool same as in Resolve or Photoshop or the EOL'd SpeedGrade. White Balance is nearly always actually a white point control.

The Temp control is for setting the relative balance between Red and Blue channels. The Tint control sets the relative balance between the (locked together) Red/Blue channels and the Green channel.

I do use the WB tool but then, I've got my surface mapped so I have access to the Creative tab's Shadow color control. This way the white point is set by the WB control, and if I've a total color cast including shadows I clean that up with the Shadow tint control of the Creative tab ... at the same time. The surface can work with tools of Lumetri no matter which tab is 'active'.

Yes, an Offset for doing color balance work would be awesome. I've argued for that with the engineers at every NAB since 2015, when it was clear SpeedGrade was headed to the archives.

But the Fast is such a limited, slow thing for me compared to Lumetri. Which doesn't slow down my computer at all.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool if they are to improve the lumteri panel the ways you said. 😄 I would be a really happy camper if those improvements are to be real.

The basic tab's sliders are arbitrary in the sense that they are not following any logic other that someone chose what each slider does. For example when observed with a B&W ramp and the wave from, white slider is not symmetrical to the black slider and exposure slider is identical to the white slider on negative values, but not on positive values. Exposure slider is asymetrical on negative and positibe values. Saturation slider is normal on positibe values, but on negative values it desaturates the channels in different amounts. Blue least, red next and green the most. The contrast slider has no pivot option... etc... I bet some wise colorist decided that these are the tools people actually need and now they are what they are.

Color wheels in the lumetri panel are kind of like lift gamma gain, but not fully, when checked with a B&W ramp and the scopes. The tool adds a sholder/toe to prevent channels from clipping. The tools are ok, but slow to respond. And often don't respond at all and I need to reset the effect to get them to move again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting ... I've not had a 'bump' in the Wheels show. I've got a tech clip I made that is a series of stepped boxes from 0-255 on the right side, which generates horizontal lines in the Waveform. And a ramp on the right, which generates a gradient line in the scopes.

Shadows wheel seems to do a straight Lift function ... mids complete gamma ... whites a gain. And yea, doesn't let you exceed 0 or 256/1064.

Exposure is supposedly to match what they measured when changing the iris on a camera. And yea, it's weird in reality. Fast and MASSIVE push "up", really the one control that allows you to exceed the upper limit and blow by it. While it does roll the top off somewhat. Stretches out the scale hard.

And is weirdly simply a Gain control if going down. In fact, has a LOT more downward gain than any other control.

You're right, NO PIVOTS ... except for the Creative Tab shadows/highlight "tint" controls. Yea, I've been vocal about the lack of pivot controls forEVAH.

The inability of so many of the tools to exceed 'boundaries' is frustrating. And they roll-off/bunch values as they approach them. So it takes some testing to get used to it.

But then, so did SpeedGrade, Resolve ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still use the old school color correction filter myself. I use the proc amp most of all because my white balance is usually dead on with a very little to adjust. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

White balance is about the least of my interest in color work, as I do tend to have good WB settings in-cam. Shooting primarily BRAW, I've got a lot of data to work with to make it LOOK like whatever I want it to look like.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2022 Feb 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey so I'm also having an issue. I was using Color Balance (RGB) to create an 80s tv look in an edit. In premiere pro CC that effect is gone and it is not listed under obsolete video effects. My client asked for a new export of the edit and now the effect is gone and I'm stuck. 

Is there a replacement for Color Balance (RGB)? 
If not, is there another effect that would allow me to achieve the same color split and offset?

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2022 Feb 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a replacement for Color Balance (RGB)? 

By @poullbrien

Lumetri!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Effects panel > Video Effects > Obsolete > Arithmetic

It's almost like Color Balance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And of course, like all the Obsolete, ot available on the M1 Macs, and soon to not be available on anything. Ancient code. Be careful, much of the Obsolete is there for a good reason.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But how do we do, when we need to open an old project using color balances, and we can't use it anymore???

that's vert problematic because then the grading is completly messed up!

i really dont understand why they took it out, it's was very useful

is there a way to install it back? copy the file somewhere from another version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a problem? Yea, certainly, been there done that. I understand the frustration at migrating to newer tools precisely because I've done it so many times.

But I think we need to revisit something that apparently hasn't been stated obviously enough so far  ...

1) That has been listed as Obsolete for years. They have always said anything in the Obsolete folder will go away at some point. So users have been warned repeatedly that using those effects could have problems like ... reopening an old project.

Several of the apps we've used in our business over the many years have had an "obsolete" folder. As soon as something went in there that we used, we immediately migrated to something not in the obsolete folder.

That folder ever only exists for one reason.

2) Software is always evolving and changing. I've been using computer in our business since the late '80's. I've got a drawer with a LOT of installation discs ... "floppys" ... for very expensive software that once was vital for our business, that went outta business itself YEARS ago.

Used dBase recently? No? Go figure ...

So yes, not only with this, but with other things, and for the rest of your life, you will have to migrate any computer-based process forward to something new at some point.

3) They took it out because it was ancient code. And also, the math was not good. Period. Why update something that had a poor math basis? When they already had another, newer code tool, with better math? There is no sense whatever there.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well thankfully when activating rosetta on premiere it brings it back!

i haven't read all your msg, too much nonsense blabla explication

the problem was to update of projects, using that effect, and Adobe didn't think of that situation!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines