• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

greyed out captions options on export from premiere pro, captions not appearing in exported file

Engaged ,
Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working in Premiere Pro 13.1.5 (latest update) and having some trouble exporting open captions - so far they don't appear in my exported file even though I have set "burned in captions" in the captions tab in exports.

I've attached a screen shot of my export settings (the captions tab). A few things - firstly the only options available to me are "None" or "Burn Captions into Video". As it happens, burned in captions is what I want, but should I not also see "embed captions in output file"?

Also I have a greyed out frame rate box which says "29.7fps", although my timeline and video export frame rate are 25fps.

I'm asking this because I'm troubleshooting why my captions don't display in my outputted files. I'm currently exporting again directly from Premiere Pro (rather than queuing in Media Encoder, which is how I usually export), because I have read other posts which suggest than in some cases it solves the problem.

I'm on a Macbook Pro running OS Sierra. Desperately trying to get this working as I'm on a deadline, the export takes an hour or more, so I can't afford to keep exporting only to find the subtitles haven't burned in!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open Captions can only be burned in, or exported as a sidecar file using File - Export - Captions, not File -> Media. But they cannot be embedded.

Ignore the options for sidecar export from the Export Settings dialog. As noted, you cannot export Open Captions as a sidecar from the Export Settings dialog option.

The failure of AME to burn in captions is a known issue that may have multiple causes. It has been reported as fixed, but was not. The problem varied between Mac and Win. In any event, I believe it should always work with a direct export from PR. For most users, it also worked in AME as long as AME preferences were set to "import sequences nativley."

There is a different issue that will produce the same problem if  you have an After Effects dynamic linked composition in the same sequence with a caption stream.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this good info. My last export which was direct from Premiere (rather than via AME) has worked with the burned-in captions. So it seems indeed exporting via AME was the problem - I had checked my AME settings to "import sequences natively" but this failed to address the issue, in my case. So you are right, this issue is not fixed.

For the future its good to know about this other issue also - "There is a different issue that will produce the same problem if you have an After Effects dynamic linked composition in the same sequence with a caption stream."

"Ignore the options for sidecar export from the Export Settings dialog. As noted, you cannot export Open Captions as a sidecar from the Export Settings dialog option." - all good to know

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome! Glad you got it sorted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines