• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HDV --> SD DVD Workflow (DebugMode FrameServer, AviSynth)

Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2008 Jul 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While the old thread contains a wealth of great information, I've decided to break away from it. It's too old, too long, too confusing... In summary:

Many users are aware that Premiere/AME/Encore does a "less than stellar" job of converting 1080i HDV to interlaced SD DVD. I (and others) have tried every conceivable combination of options and found none that provided "professional quality" conversions. This is largely due to the way that Premiere handles scaling of interlaced material ... Example #1 ... Example #2 ... and Premiere's failure to convert from the HDV color matrix (Rec.709) to the SD specification (Rec.601).

In an effort to solve these problems, I developed a workflow (using several third-party freeware tools) that achieves results far superior to that of Premiere and/or Encore by themselves.

I have written a guide for this workflow, including step-by-step instructions and links to download all the required tools.

This page also contains a link to a more advanced option for doing these conversions (using mostly the same tools). Please do not attempt the advanced version unless you have already implemented my "basic" workflow!

The page and linked files will be updated frequently. It is a work in progress, but should already provide excellent quality. I look forward to comments and suggestions from this community (as always).

Enjoy! -- Dan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 486 Replies 486
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2011 Jan 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I used the HD-->SD workflow in XP which worked fine. But after I upgrade my PC to Win7 64bit I can't get a clean Lagarith avi file.

Original footage is from FCP render as ProRes 422, then I use Adobe Media Encoder to produce the MPEG2 100Mbps i-frame file

When I run AVS file in Virtual Dub, I encounter the msvcr71.dll and msmcp71.dll problem, I did a search in C: and copied these files from the Adobe CS5 folder and paste it to the Windows\SysWow64 folder. The error is gone when loading the AVS file in Virtual dub.

Then Virtual Dub doesn't seems to display the MPEG2 i-frame source properly, it looks pixelated

I went ahead and render Lagarith AVI and find that the resulting avi is also pixelated. Text does not have clean edge, like double overlay.

Am I not installing AviSynth or Virtual Dub correctly in Win 7? The Virtual Dub folder is in Windows\Program (x86)

Thanks

Albert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2011 Jan 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May be you've done already this: watch Jeff tutorial about HD to SD

carefully, maybe it is something that you missed. 2nd: try to uninstall your

codecs, virtual dub, avisynt, do a restart then try installing only what you

need, one at the time. For win 7 you can use Shark codec pack. Did you do

an upgrading process or did you do a clean install of Win7? I recommend a

clean install(format hdd, then install windows). Good luck!

2011/1/25 leungal <forums@adobe.com>

Hi,

>

I used the HD-->SD workflow in XP which worked fine. But after I upgrade my

PC to Win7 64bit I can't get a clean Lagarith avi file.

Original footage is from FCP render as ProRes 422, then I use Adobe Media

Encoder to produce the MPEG2 100Mbps i-frame file

>

When I run AVS file in Virtual Dub, I encounter the msvcr71.dll and

msmcp71.dll problem, I did a search in C: and copied these files from the

Adobe CS5 folder and paste it to the Windows\SysWow64 folder. The error is

gone when loading the AVS file in Virtual dub.

>

Then Virtual Dub doesn't seems to display the MPEG2 i-frame source

properly, it looks pixelated

>

I went ahead and render Lagarith AVI and find that the resulting avi is

also pixelated. Text does not have clean edge, like double overlay.

>

Am I not installing AviSynth or Virtual Dub correctly in Win 7? The Virtual

Dub folder is in Windows\Program (x86)

>

Thanks

Albert

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2011 Feb 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great Script, took a little time but I got it working great.  One Quick question, in my final video when people are moving there seems to be pixels around the moving parts (legs, arms, etc.).  I would like to clean that up if possible but an nnot sure what it is called or what filter I would need.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Sorry about the faigue description, this is all still new to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2011 Feb 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Any updates to the current thread? Did I understand properly that CS5 does the required downscaling without 3rd party tools and high quality?

Does anyone know is Vegas Pro 10 able to do the same quality downscaling?

And link to the guide is not working anymore, but video guide is available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2013 Dec 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where can I find Dan's guide about dvd settings from HC encoder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 01, 2013 Dec 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what I use for my 24p media.

HC 1.png

HC 2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2013 Dec 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks, I will use this settings for DVDs...Does this method, with frameservers and some other encoders, still produces better results than Pr CC - AME?

[Please don't quote the entire message in your replies.  If you are responding to a portion of another post, quote only that portion.  if you're responding to the entire post, don't quote any of it.]

Message edited by Jim Simon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Advanced Frameserver and Tmpgenc5, it gives me the same result as the HC encoder, which is slightly better then AME.

Jim I thought you did weddings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do whatever people pay me for (as long as it's legal).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tmpgenc5, it gives me the same result as the HC encoder

But...that costs money.  My solution is free.  Free is good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jim Simon wrote:

Tmpgenc5, it gives me the same result as the HC encoder

But...that costs money.  My solution is free.  Free is good.

You almost sound like a Dutch person. Everything has to be for free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this method...produce better results than Pr CC - AME?

Yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines