• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HDV --> SD DVD Workflow (DebugMode FrameServer, AviSynth)

Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2008 Jul 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While the old thread contains a wealth of great information, I've decided to break away from it. It's too old, too long, too confusing... In summary:

Many users are aware that Premiere/AME/Encore does a "less than stellar" job of converting 1080i HDV to interlaced SD DVD. I (and others) have tried every conceivable combination of options and found none that provided "professional quality" conversions. This is largely due to the way that Premiere handles scaling of interlaced material ... Example #1 ... Example #2 ... and Premiere's failure to convert from the HDV color matrix (Rec.709) to the SD specification (Rec.601).

In an effort to solve these problems, I developed a workflow (using several third-party freeware tools) that achieves results far superior to that of Premiere and/or Encore by themselves.

I have written a guide for this workflow, including step-by-step instructions and links to download all the required tools.

This page also contains a link to a more advanced option for doing these conversions (using mostly the same tools). Please do not attempt the advanced version unless you have already implemented my "basic" workflow!

The page and linked files will be updated frequently. It is a work in progress, but should already provide excellent quality. I look forward to comments and suggestions from this community (as always).

Enjoy! -- Dan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 486 Replies 486
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2008 Aug 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dan, thank you for this information it is very useful. I am in the middle of my first HDV/SD project about a 45 min wedding and the video looks great coming out of Virtual Dub 16:9 and all but when it is imported into Encore it becomes 4:3. Project settings in Encore are 16:9. I used your basic script and like I said I pulled the saved file back into Virtual Dub and it is still 16:9. Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> but when it is imported into Encore it becomes 4:3

Use Interpret Footage in Encore and set it to NTSC widescreen (or PAL widescreen if the source is PAL).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2008 Aug 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having another issue; I brought the uncompressed AVI into Encore I saved from VirtualDub (43min 82GB) I did use upper field first because I thought I was supposed to. Encore acts like it is transcoding, goes through the video then audio but then never finishes. All day it just says transcoding now. I reset encoding perameters in Encore to Upper Field First and I am trying again. Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 04, 2008 Aug 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, Larry... I have no idea. I've certainly run tests like this through Encore with no issues. If the problem persists you may want to consider using a different encoder (CCE, ProCoder, HC Encoder, etc. -- or encode the MPEG2 in Premiere) and just import the .m2v file into Encore for authoring.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 26, 2008 Aug 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dan,

I tried your method after getting undesirable results export my HDV timeline from Premiere Pro to a DVD compatible Mpeg2 directly from Premier Pro, importing into Encore and burning without any transcoding in Encore.

I had a couple of issues. The first was that it changed my 16:9 image into a 4:3 image.

Once I got to your step of going out from VirtualDub I went up to File-->Save as AVI and brought this uncompressed AVI file into Encore, which automatically transcoded it from there. When I checked, that AVI file was 4:3, so it's being converted to 4:3 by VirtualDub. What do I need to do to fix this problem?

The other issue, and maybe this is just how it is, was that my footage already looked really good when viewed on our 4:3 CRT Triniton monitor, or any 4:3 CRT TV for that matter. The biggest problem is when played back on an HDTV. You see the interlacing lines and the quality just drops significantly. If you go to the store and purchase a DVD movie it will look very good on either source.

Is there a way to get that same consistent quality across both playback platforms?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when you bring the file into encore; do "interpret footage" on it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> The biggest problem is when played back on an HDTV.

Upscaled SD on an HDTV always looks like crap, IMO. The reason why commerical DVDs look better is because they are (generally) progressive frame (24p).

The solution here would be to convert your 1080i -> 480p (or 576p). My HD->SD scripts are due for a big overhaul (when I find the time). Through the DV60i -> 24p conersion thread (and Jeff B's and Jim S's testing) I have learned a great deal about ways to improve the quality.

Here's a good workaround for now:
1.) download and install my hd2sd package
2.) download and install my dv60i2film package
3.) Frameserve as YUY2 from Premiere, and create a script like this for 30p (or 25p) output ...

AviSource("signpost.avi")
AssumeTFF()
ConditionalSmoothBob(DeintMethod=2)
hd2sd(interlaced=false, OutputFieldRate=30, SmoothTime=true, OutputColorSpace="yuy2")

This should provide nice progressive output. If you find that it is too blended (temporally), set SmoothTime=false. Be aware that this may reveal more "jaggies" from the deinterlacing. If this is problematic, set DeintMethod=1 for better (but much slower) deinterlacing.

Change OutputFieldRate=25 for PAL progressive output.

If you want to take advantage of the improved deinterlacing for "regaular" interlaced output, set OutputFieldRate=60 (or 50 for PAL). You should also set OutputBFF=true in this case if you are encoding in Encore.

> when you bring the file into encore; do "interpret footage" on it

Correct. :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dan,

Are your HD -> SD scripts due for a "bif" overhaul because this bif guy is really big, or is it because Marty is still a slacker?

:D

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed, Jeff 🙂 Who the hell is Marty, anyway?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> when you bring the file into encore; do "interpret footage" on it

I did this and it fixed the 4:3 problem. But, even after that I compared the original workflow I used and this workflow and although the images were very similar, the original workflow looked a little better.

With the VirtualDub workflow I saw many more interlacing lines, especially around areas of great contrast. This happened even on the 4:3 CRT monitor. It was especially noticeable when I paused the DVD.

I'm not sure if I maybe missed a step or did something wrong. I'll try the method you put in your last post when I get a chance Dan.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> But, even after that I compared the original workflow I used

What was the original workflow? What (exactly) was the modified workflow?

> I saw many more interlacing lines

Is it possible that the field order was set incorrectly? Be sure you are outputting upper field first from Premiere. If you are encoding in Encore or Premiere, you should set my script to output lower field first. So, when using hd2sd(), add the argument OutputBFF=true.

> It was especially noticeable when I paused the DVD.

I cannot see the relevance of that. Would it be possible for you to post your final .m2v file so I can look at it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OT Sidebar:

Marty - Biff - Doc - George McFly - "Back to the Future"

I've just got one thing to say to you: "Hello! Hello McFly!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I caught that Jeff. Nice reference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 27, 2008 Aug 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, y'all... perhaps not the total overhaul I envisioned, but I have made some important changes:

1.) Lanczos4 resizing has been changed to Spline36
2.) hd2sd() is now posted as a "package", containing the required scripts, plugins, and readmes
3.) hd2sd() now has different deinterlacing options and a different default -- should be better, faster :)

Please have a look at my workflow page (link to hd2sd() is on the bottom of the page). As always, let me know if you encounter any errors or other issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Now if I only had HD source material. I thought I left my Scarlet laying around here somewhere...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't tease! It's mean.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Now if I only had HD source material

http://www.vasst.com/HDV/FX-1_images-Surfers.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link, Dan. I'll see if I can give it a go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not bad stuff... You can find a bunch of such test clips online (hint: not a bad idea to search for if you're looking for a new camera 🙂 )

Here's another 1080i clip I've used for testing:
http://gibopictures.com/video/NY_MAD_WORLD.mpg

This one is a finished edit -- and has some challenges because of slowmos, timelapse, and handheld shots. It's also good because it's easy to notice any detail that's been lost (street signs, text, brick patterns, etc.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am traveling so I can't supply any FX1 footage. But I will be home Friday night.
artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> supply any FX1 footage

Oh, that would be great :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Think about what you might want. I can stand in front of the camera waving my hands to create interlacing issues and I can pan across a scene. Just figure it out and I can shoot it Saturday if you wish. I can then make it available to a select few.
artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Think about what you might want.

Nothing in particular... I have my own HDV footage, but most of it is indoor tripod shots (industrial-type stuff).

I like to have other types to play with... Outdoor, some handheld shots... maybe some things like water, wildlife, tress, flowers, sporting events, music. Anything but machines in concrete buildings, of which I have plenty :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Here's another 1080i clip I've used for testing:
http://gibopictures.com/video/NY_MAD_WORLD.mpg

Dead link. Apparently he's got it on vimeo now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines