• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HDV --> SD DVD Workflow (DebugMode FrameServer, AviSynth)

Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2008 Jul 02, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While the old thread contains a wealth of great information, I've decided to break away from it. It's too old, too long, too confusing... In summary:

Many users are aware that Premiere/AME/Encore does a "less than stellar" job of converting 1080i HDV to interlaced SD DVD. I (and others) have tried every conceivable combination of options and found none that provided "professional quality" conversions. This is largely due to the way that Premiere handles scaling of interlaced material ... Example #1 ... Example #2 ... and Premiere's failure to convert from the HDV color matrix (Rec.709) to the SD specification (Rec.601).

In an effort to solve these problems, I developed a workflow (using several third-party freeware tools) that achieves results far superior to that of Premiere and/or Encore by themselves.

I have written a guide for this workflow, including step-by-step instructions and links to download all the required tools.

This page also contains a link to a more advanced option for doing these conversions (using mostly the same tools). Please do not attempt the advanced version unless you have already implemented my "basic" workflow!

The page and linked files will be updated frequently. It is a work in progress, but should already provide excellent quality. I look forward to comments and suggestions from this community (as always).

Enjoy! -- Dan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 486 Replies 486
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2008 Oct 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dan. I was able to make the new script work without errors, thanks. We'll see what the final product does. You seem to be the guru of final output so maybe you can answer this question; would it be more advantageous to resize videos smaller and use a 4 x 3 aspect ratio with black on bottom and top...kind of a pseudo widescreen? I've started doing my DVD menus like this and have noticed a night and day difference in the detail around fine lines like letters. I'm just wondering if it would work for video as well. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks. Also, any input on advantages of using Sorenson Squeeze instead of HC for basic DVD output? Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd resize to 360 x 720 so it's in the square aspect ratio and open in a 4 x 3 project...any idea what script I'd use to achieve this? Also, is there a more optimal size that can be achieved by cropping slightly as with the other work flow? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Also, any input on advantages of using Sorenson Squeeze instead of HC for basic DVD output?

Personally, I really like the quality of HC Encoder.

I don't really know about Squeeze -- I'm not sure it can handle .avs input ? Regarless, you could output as an intermediary .avi and compress in any program, I suppose.

Some other "commercial" options include CCE, Canopus ProCoder, Elecard Converter Studio -- all of which can read .avs files.

In all these cases, be sure to set OutputColorSpace="YUY2".
Only use "YV12" for HC.

> would it be more advantageous to resize videos smaller and use a 4 x 3 aspect ratio with black on bottom and top...kind of a pseudo widescreen?

Well, this would look better on a 4x3 CRT screen, but would have substantially reduced resolution on 16x9 screens.

You could try:

hd2sd(OutputHeight=360)
AddBorders(0,60,0,60)

But I've never tried it, so I can't tell you how nice it will be. It seems that the PAR is still correct by "a fluke" in the script (it will work for NTSC but not PAL, for example). Perhaps in my next revision, I'll include pseudo-widescreen modes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to be asking so many questions, but I just tried to export my first long clip (it's a 35 min. seminar) and HC keeps automatically putting my end frame at 2080 frames so I only get about 70 seconds of footage. Do you know what I might be doing wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Do you know what I might be doing wrong?

On HC's "main" tab, click the "all frames" button... and/or possibly check the Work Area in Premiere or set the output range to "Enire Sequence"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2008 Oct 10, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dan,

I'm trying to "export movie" and use DebugMode Frameserver but the "Export Audio" checkbox is grayed out, uncheckable. Do you know what might be causing this?

Thanks,
Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Do you know what might be causing this?

No clue. I've never seen that before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you disabled, muted or otherwise altered the audio track(s) of the sequence you are trying to export?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In any case, you can export a .WAV file from Premiere and do ONE of the following:

a.) Import the WAV file directly into Encore.
b.) Add this line to the end of your .avs script file:

AudioDub(WavSource("filename.wav"))

c.) Open your "silent" .avs file in VirtualDub, then select "Audio/Audio from other file..." and reference the .wav file. This will include the audio when saved as an AVI from VirtualDub.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2008 Oct 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi dan

i have matrox rtx2 with video tools 3.6, premiere pro cs3 3.2
i want to create pal dvd. have procorder 3 as well as HCenc23.
firstly which encorder would you recomend?
secondly, from what i understand i export my timeline as,
"Export
Video and audio
Entire Sequence

Filetype
DebugMode FrameServer

Video Settings
Compressor:
Frame size: 1440h 1080v (1,333)
Frame rate: 25,00 frames/second
Pixel Aspect Ratio: HD Anamorphic 1080 (1.333)
Fields: Upper Field First

Audio Settings
Compressor: Uncompressed
Sample rate: 48000 samples/second
Channels: Stereo
Sample type: 16-bit"

and use the following script

"AviSource("c:/signpost.avi")
ColorMatrix(mode="Rec.709->Rec.601", clamp=false)
ConvertToRGB32()
SmoothDeinterlace(tff=true,doublerate=true,lacethresh=24,staticthresh=35,staticavg=50,edgethresh=35,blend=false,showlace=false)
Trim(1,0)

Spline36(704,576)
AddBorders(8,0,8,0)
ConvertToYUY2()

AssumeTFF().SeparateFields()

SelectEvery(4,1,2)
Weave()
Limiter(16, 235, 16, 240)"

are these settings correct? i did read something regarding matrox files but couldn understand. i am using your hd2sd advanced script files.

thanks for your time.
arif.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2008 Oct 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Arif ---

Since you have the RT.X2, I would recommend not using DebugMode FrameServer. Instead, export as a Matrox HD MPEG2 I-frame file at the highest data rate (100 Mbps).

File Type: Matrox AVI
Compressor: [1440x1080i@25fps] Matrox MPEG2 I-frame

Call this file "matrox.avi". After it has finished rendering, close Premiere.

Then (using hd2sd() to feed to HCEnc), create a script and save it as "matrox_hd2sd.avs":

hd2sd("matrox.avi")

Now bring "matrox_hd2sd.avs" into HCEnc -- be sure you have interlaced/TFF set on HC's "Settings 1" tab. Create your MPEG2 video.

Open the "matrox.avi" file in VirtualDub. Choose "File/Save WAV" to save the audio to a WAV file.

Bring the MPEG2 + WAV files into Encore and author.

Obviously, there are many more options you can set for hd2sd. See the dh2sd.txt file for more information about its parameters. Enjoy.

-- Dan

EDIT: I just noticed you mentioned having ProCoder3... I would try that. In this case, you need to make a slight modification to the script I suggested earlier:

hd2sd("matrox.avi", OutputColorSpace="YUY2")

I am not familiar with ProCoder, but I imagine there is a place to declare that your input is Upper Field First (TFF or UFF as it's sometimes called). Be sure to set this, or change the script:

hd2sd("matrox.avi", OutputColorSpace="YUY2", OutputBFF=true)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2008 Oct 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks dan

i have created the matrox avi and saved it in my e drive test folder along with the script file matrox_hd2sd.avs

i am really confused using the script
the only text i changed from your workflow is the first line.
when i input file name in hcgui 023 i get this error,
error loading avisynth script, script error, syntax error

here is the script i am using

"AviSource("e:/test/matrox.avi")
ColorMatrix(mode="Rec.709->Rec.601", clamp=false)
ConvertToRGB32()
SmoothDeinterlace(tff=true,doublerate=true,lacethresh=24,staticthresh=35,staticavg=50,edgethresh=35,blend=false,showlace=false)
Trim(1,0)

Spline36(704,576)
AddBorders(8,0,8,0)
ConvertToYUY2()

SelectEvery(4,1,2)
Weave()
Limiter(16, 235, 16, 240)"

Dan if you have time could you please post how my script should be.
secondly, you recommended not using DebugMode FrameServer with rtx2, using DebugMode frameserver would it not save time and disc space instead of creating another avi file.

look forward to the script.
thanks again.
arif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> script error, syntax error

That's because you have quotes ("") surrounding the script. Delete them. Your script should start with AviSource not "Avisource ... and it should end with 240) not 240) "

For some reason, you also have Spline36(704,576) ... that should be Spline36Resize(704,576)

Also note that your script will create BFF output. You need to wither change the SelectEvery line to SelectEvery(4,0,3) or be sure to set the field order to BFF within HCEnc.

Here's a corrected version -- also taking into account some particular requirements of the Matrox AVI files:

AviSource("e:/test/matrox.avi", pixel_type="RGB32")
SmoothDeinterlace(tff=true, doublerate=true, lacethresh=24, staticthresh=35, staticavg=50, edgethresh=35, blend=false, showlace=false)
Trim(1,0)

Spline36Resize(704,576)
AddBorders(8,0,8,0)
ConvertToYUY2()

# This will create lower-field first output. Change to SelectEvery(4,0,3) for upper field first
SelectEvery(4,1,2)
Weave()
Limiter(16, 235, 16, 240)

# uncomment the next line only if you are using HC Encoder or QuEnc
# ConvertToYV12(interlaced=true)

# uncomment the next line only if you are using TMPEG
# ConvertToRGB32(interlaced=true)

If you've installed the "advanced" hd2sd plugins from the bottom of my page, you'll only need the one-line scripts like the examples posted in my last message. It's actually easier -- and better quality, too. It will also work nicely with both DebugMode and Matrox or Cineform AVI files alike.

> secondly, you recommended not using DebugMode FrameServer with rtx2, using DebugMode frameserver would it not save time and disc space instead of creating another avi file

Yes, it will -- but Premiere has a bug in how it handles the HD colorspace. Although my script fixes this for footage, it will still give (slightly) inaccurate colors on RGB graphics. This is Premiere's problem, and there is nothing I can do to rectify it.

However, if you export as a Matrox AVI, the colors will be correct for both footage and graphics.

If you're not concerned with slight shifting of colors on titles, bitmaps, etc. then go with DebugMode. If you are, then export via Matrox AVI.

Another advantage of using the Matrox AVI is that you do not need to keep Premiere open while encoding in HCEnc. This may free up some resources and possibly provide faster encoding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks dan.
i have done tests with your hd2sd advanced plugins with 1 line script.
i created mpeg 2 files with HCence, procorder, and cinemacraft encoder. the results were fantastic with all three encoders. can not praise you enough with the hard work and support you have provided with your work to many people like myself.

would you know any software i can use to grab a still from the mpeg 2 files for comparison sake.

thanks once again
arif.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Arif! Another happy customer 🙂 So many people are doubtful of this process... or at least they're doubtful that it will make a noticeable difference. I'm sure you'll agree it does.

As for screen caps from MPEG2 files, grab the latest VirtualDub and the MPEG2 plugin for VirtualDub

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>So many people are doubtful of this process... or at least they're doubtful that it will make a noticeable difference.

I don't think that is the case. Most people are doubtful on doing it correctly with all the different steps. When you read these posts it can seem pretty intimidating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're probably right, TLC... I guess that "fear of doing it wrong" is just something I don't understand. Perhaps I'm not your average customer :)

Soon enough, I'm going to make an "advanced" workflow page. I've realized that this is really easier to follow than the "basic" workflow... You can't beat the one-line script approach - and the quality is much better.

A related note:

My current area of concern is that DebugMode FrameServer will no longer function in CS4. I hope that its author continues development, but I have my doubts about that.

This will not be a big deal for folks using Matrox or Cineform -- as these tools provide good and fairly efficient intermediary HD AVI codecs from which you can achieve good quality encodes.

I need to find an alternate for "the masses", however. Perhaps exporting as very high bitrate MPEG2?? That is a pisser, however.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes dan 100% agree, your process has better results. i have been working with hdv ever since it came out 8 hours a day 5-6 days a week. and i noticed the quality difference straight away.
i also agree with tlc51369,s point "Most people are doubtful on doing it correctly with all the different steps"
i came here via matrox forum where the workflow was mentioned.
i admit i did alot of reading before atempting. your process is very simple to use once understood. may be people are put off using different software.

anyways...
thanks once again.
arif.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> came here via matrox forum where the workflow was mentioned

Yes, that seems to be where people are most doubtful 🙂 I've made several attempts in those forums to impress upon Matrox users how poor PPro (with or without Matrox) is at converting 1080i->DVD -- and (as always) I've offered to help people along with the process.

To my knowledge, you are the first Matrox user to ask for my assistance in this.

It's a shame also, as exporting via Matrox HD AVI will circumvent the colorspace issues and provide the "truest" conversion in conjunction with my process.

As the saying goes, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dan just out of interest would your HD2SD workflow work with sonys ex1 HQ & SP native clips worked in premiere with rtx2.

arif.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> your HD2SD workflow work with sonys ex1 HQ & SP native clips worked in premiere with rtx2.

If you can open/edit them in Premiere and export it as an AVI, then yes.

I've never tried this, however ... Could you post some EX-1 test clips for me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

both premiere cs3.2 and rtx2 3.2 support the ex1 clips.

Could you post some EX-1 test clips for me?

dan do you want the native files from ex1' sxs card?
if so il do some test shots in different formats for you to experiment.
also i need to know how do i post them to you.
arif.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> if so il do some test shots in different formats for you to experiment. also i need to know how do i post them to you.

Arif -- please email me @ d.isaacs --at-- comcast --dot-- net.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 14, 2008 Oct 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a Mac user, I watch this thread with envy. However, I front that exports to debugmode and runs preset scripts would really reduce the fear factor hear I think.

Of course with CS4 out, what has changed if anything in the way PPro handles this process now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 14, 2008 Oct 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Of course with CS4 out, what has changed if anything in the way PPro handles this process now?

Pr CS4 now hands *everything* off to the Adobe Media Encoder as soon as "Export..." is selected. That includes .avi and .mov files, too. The plug-in won't work in the AME.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines