• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help with Input & Creative Luts

Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2024 Aug 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, guys. So I am going thru this video course that teaches PP color grading and watching the section where they take a video to rec709 conversion for Basic Correction Input. I found the Luts that they used at the begging of the video called S-LOG3 (they were provided by the course), applied and my clip goes completely black. I canceled that, went back to the folder found the one that say Canon EOS, because I shoot with R6, and it did the same, clip goes completely black, have any idea what it could be? 👇

My next issue was with creative Luts, what I have learned you use them like a presets in Lightroom. So I used few that were provided by the course and the ones I purchased and when I apply them my clips goes from colorful image to faded image, doing color correction is nearly impossible. 

I emailed person who created the course, but no response 😞 I am sure it is a simple fix I just have no clue how to fix it and I don't know what could I be doing wrong.

First video where clips goes black, 2nd one is after applying some Luts and clip goes faded.

Please help!

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best is not to combine effects with time remapping

Use an Adjustment layer

S-log as in S for Sony.

C-log as C for Canon

Is your footage shot in raw?

and you want to use luts for your camera go to the Canon site.

Also set your screen to Fit not 14%?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, makes ss3nce for S for Sony and C for Canon. I did try the one for Canon, screen goes black. I'll try the adjustment layer then and see what it does then.

Yes, it's RAW footage shot in 4k and 23 smt frames per second.

I zoom in and out on the screen a lot, cause I love to see the color on the label making sure it's not overly edited and stays accurate to real life. What is the optimal % I should have my screen set at?

The guy who created a course has Luts for few different cameras and I tried the one that are specifically for Canon users and they don't work how they should, I am sure it's nothing too complicated but sure he'll annoying, as I am stuck in the module and can't color grade for nothing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work for/with/teach pro colorists, so I've been around this type of work for over a decade.

What you're trying to do is a standard thing. Take a log-encoded file, and transform that math of the encoding to the math of the sequence and/or display system. Which in the old days 2-4 years ago meant either a LUT or a manual conversion process.

Actually, with much experience in doing this with color controls, even in Premiere, you can do it per clip in less time that it takes to find the correct LUT and apply it, then trim the clip to fit the LUT.

And anyway, most pro colorists either roll their own conversion LUTs, or use the transforms provided by the programs. Because no LUT can be really built for all "made in the wild" clips you may have. They are built from clips that have had a certain scene contrast and color combined with specific camera settings and even a bit of aesthetic choices by the person building that LUT.

So even on LUTs you create for your own clips, you need to apply the LUT to the clip, but then, in color corrections applied before the LUT, you need to adjust exposure and contrast and saturation to fit the clip into what the LUT was built to work with.  Or you will get either clipped or crushed data, or shadows not where they're supposed to be, highights in the wrong place, all that type of issue.

In Premiere, that means using the Creative tab to apply your log-to-linear conversion LUT, then using the Basic tab to do the trimming for that clip.

Log to linear LUTs are really falling out of favor with colorists anyway, as the algorithmic math used in tonemapping in both Premiere and Resolve blows away the limited 'math' of pretty much any LUT. And because of the far better, complex math involved in algorithms, you don't need to trim the clip to fit the LUT.

Especially for those without a lot of experience, you will get far better results, faster, and without breaking your pixels, if you use Premiere's tonemapping to do the log to linear work. That's just the basic heavy lifting to get a solid, safe and reliable starting point.

Then you either do manual adjustments to taste, or create Lumetri presets of your own with any settings you like that fit your project needs and aesthetic choices. And apply them to entire groups of clips in the project panel bin as a "source" effect. Awesome control, and fast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2024 Aug 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for such detailed explanation. Super useful inofrmation. However I don't know how to fix the issue with my clip going completely black when I apply any basic input LUT 😞 I have tried everything by now, googled, youtubed and no instructions or explanations on what I am doing wrong

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 15, 2024 Aug 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is truly odd behavior. I've seen it from a couple users, and have no idea what is causing it.

Does it still happen if you go to the Project settings, and set Mercury Acceleration to Software Only? If so, it's an issue with the GPU or probably the GPU driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2024 Aug 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, mine is set at Software Only and it goes black when I apply conversion lut and if I switch to the other one which is GPU acceleration - it goes black too. So if it's a GPU issue, how to fix this? Any idea?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just one clip or all if former,

Delete clip from project, convert to Prores and try again.

Update graphicscard driver to most current driver.

For nvidia it would be the Studio driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All clips go balck when I apply any C-log lut 😞

How do you convert it Prores? I am sorry I am really new to this software

And how to update the driver?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have an Nvidia driver, you go to the Nvidia website, Support, and Drivers page. Select the driver for your GPU, and make sure it's the Studio, never the Game Ready driver.

Install as per instructions, most of us recommend the 'clean install' process, and you don't need to install their Experience or whatever it's called now stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2024 Aug 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thank you, I will try that tomorrow and see if that fixes the issue. The guy who created the course I am going thru finally responded and he did not have an answer for me. So Ill follow your instructions. Thank you. I'll update you here if it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2024 Aug 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, finally got back to my computer and PP, so stupid question now - how do I know if I have Nvidia driver or something else? I seriously got lost on their website

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You go to Nvidia's Support/drivers page. It will check your computer for the GPU.

It will try to suggest a game-ready driver, you need to use the options to get the Studio driver instead. Following their download, use the installation option of a clean install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First image from the Support and second&3rd from Driver's page...this is where I am lost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your computer's system information will tell you the specific GPU in use.

The third image, use the lower left panel to select drivers for that GPU. Again, use the Studio driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found where to find GPU info but i don't know which one I have and which one to look for the Nvidia website

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines