HLG " Hybrid Log Gamma"

Guide ,
Apr 11, 2019 Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone.

I have a Sony PXW-Z150.

B&H Photo Video

Recently, I received a Firmware update, to update the Camcorder to be able to shoot In HLG, HLG1, HLG2, HLG3, In Picture Profile Number 10

I was reading an article, that explains that HLG Shooting is good If you have an HDRTV Monitor. I don't have any HDR TV, or Monitors. I do have custom Picture Profiles to Shoot Indoor and Outdoor. For Example: With my Canon 5D, I have this Cinstyle Picture Style, that allows you to shoot Flat. Is this HLG dose the same thing, or what?

Also, I heard when shooting HLG, you don't need to do any Color Corrections. I personally like to shoot Flat, and later I like to Color Correct It.

Here Is the Copy Paste Of that Article:

The PXW-FS5 and PXW-Z150 will both get a free firmware update some time around June that will add the ability to shoot using a special gamma curve called “Hybrid Log Gamma” or HLG.

By selecting Picture Profile 10  the camera will shooting using Hybrid Log Gamma. If you were to plug the camera into an HDR TV that supports HLG then what you would see on the TV would be a HDR image with an extended dynamic range. This should give brighter more realistic highlights and a quite noticeable increase in overall contrast compared to SDR (Standard Dynamic Range). There will be no need to grade the footage to get a perfectly watchable vibrant HDR image. The real beauty of HLG (developed by the BBC and NHK) is that it is backwards compatible with normal SDR (Standard Dynamic Range) TV’s. So feed the very same signal into a conventional SDR TV and it will look just fine. Skin tones will be a touch darker than with Rec709 and  it won’t be HDR, but it will be perfectly watchable picture and most people won’t realise it’s anything different to normal SDR TV.

Thank you very Much.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 11, 2019 Apr 11, 2019

HLG is a very different thing than 'shooting flat' or shooting Log. It is a high-dynamic-range form or HDR, I don't know exactly how many stops of range that camera can produce.

You can shoot it and then bring it in and do a bit of tonal work, but ... I would try a short test clip in your normal method, then one of HLG of the same thing, bring both into Pr and see what it looks like. You may not find the HLG to be of much use at the current time, as there are few tv's that can use it, and Pr's ca

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HLG is a very different thing than 'shooting flat' or shooting Log. It is a high-dynamic-range form or HDR, I don't know exactly how many stops of range that camera can produce.

You can shoot it and then bring it in and do a bit of tonal work, but ... I would try a short test clip in your normal method, then one of HLG of the same thing, bring both into Pr and see what it looks like. You may not find the HLG to be of much use at the current time, as there are few tv's that can use it, and Pr's capabilities for working with this are rather limited. The internal monitors are designed to be used on a system with the monitor in video sRGB color space, calibrated and profiled to Rec.709, white point of D65, brightness of 100 nits, and gamma 2.4.

So to view any HDR format such as HLG through Pr IN HDR, you need a very specific card to drive the HDR monitor (from AJA or Kona) depending on whether your system is Mac or PC. It's a bit of a hassle to setup. This will change in the future as they are working on getting better color/HDR capabilities into Premiere, but for now ... it ain't easy.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Mr. Neil.

I had a bunch of Short Test Clips, that I shot with HLG, HLG1, HLG2, HLG3.  I Imported those Clips Into Premiere, after Color Correcting, I was not happy with the Results. Here is my question. I have 6 Picture Profiles. After watching a Professional Video Tutorial, I created an Indoor and Outdoor Picture Profiles that Is giving me good Results. If I Turn Off the Picture Profile, am I going to be able to shoot Flat or Log?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 12, 2019 Apr 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know the options for that camera.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 12, 2019 Apr 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi animationlife,

HLG seems to be primarily designed for delivery and grading this might be tricky as compared to other flat picture profiles. Shooting in Log profile may be a better option if you intend to color correct and grade it later on. Though grading HLG is still possible, it's just that it may not respond in the same way as grading other flat and Log profiles. You may refer to these links to learn more on HLG.

What is HLG and what is it supposed to be used for? | XDCAM-USER.COM

Talking HLG with Alister Chapman - YouTube

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 13, 2019 Apr 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr. Neil.

Based on Testings I did. I think you are correct

Thank you very much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 14, 2019 Apr 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Always happy to be of assistance.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines