Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Home Video

Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

New to Premiere and these forums. Glad to be here. Dumb question# 1

I'm digitizing some old home movies on DV. First couple of clips come in fine, but after that the audio starts sounding like chipmunks.

I noticed in the audio column the good clips are: 32000 Hz 16 bit 4 Mono and the bad ones: 48384 Hz Compressed Stereo.

thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What device are you using... are your tapes digital and you are only capturing via Firewire, or are they analog and you are converting?

If analog and you are converting, what does the capture screen show?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

Thanks for the quick response.

I'm playing back from an old Panasonic camcorder on mini Dv tapes via FireWire.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK... what you are doing is simply a special version of a file copy using Firewire, just about the same as using the Windows file manager to copy a file from one drive to another

What is on your tape is copied, unchanged, from your camera to your computer... the Firewire process only copies, it does not change

That means that your original tapes were recorded with "different" audio settings

At least that is my understanding of DV tapes and Firewire... but, since I had an analog 8mm camera, I use a No longer sold (?) Grass Valley ADVC 110 external digital converter... so I could be wrong about how DV + Firewire works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right on how DV works for capturing. I do it and have no problems. Never had the problem of different audio. You might be right about recording DV with different audio settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As suggested, your audio is probably recorded differently. Some cameras had settings for 2 track (one stereo channel) and 4 track. The sampling rate was either 32K or 48K.

How are you playing the clips back? they should be fine played from the project panel. If you are putting them in a sequence, the sequence needs to match the audio, or you need to reinterpret the audio to put them all on the same sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 05, 2016 Nov 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The clip in question was recorded at a different time on the same tape, so I think you're right about the different settings.

However, I am playing back from the project panel and still getting the bad sound.

I think the answer is going to be in, as you mentioned, reinterpreting the clip in the sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines